Main Menu

Hawk vs NESA

Started by DWilkins, June 07, 2011, 04:23:28 AM

DWilkins

Lt. Col. Rowen,
Thank you for your wisdom and comments.  I agree with you in many ways, including the first page reply regarding the political BS and pick a school and have fun.  That is what I did this summer.  I picked HMRS for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that I could go with my son.  There is much misinformation about Hawk, much of it passed along by people who fail to do their homework before speaking.  A couple of example....Hawk is indeed a NCSA contrary to many who state that it is not.  GTM tasks were not only signed off for me, but they were put into eservices by the staff.  I don't know that either Hawk or NESA are better, but I am sure they are different.  There is nothing wrong with different, in fact, I believe that different approaches are often a very good thing.

I had an excellent experience at Hawk and would go back again.  I would also welcome the opportunity to attend NESA and see the approach taken there.  I am sure that I would come out of either school with a higher knowledge directly related to MY effort.

My advice to those interested in HMRS or NESA, forget trying to get a factual answer on CAPTALK.  Few are capable of speaking in facts without emotional opinion.  In addition, many in CAP are misinformed and will provide inaccurate information.  I would suggest that you speak directly to the staff of each school and ask specific questions about the experience.  The as was stated on page 1, forget all the political BS, pick a school and go have a good time.

Eclipse

Quote from: DWilkins on August 30, 2011, 11:13:27 PMMy advice to those interested in HMRS or NESA, forget trying to get a factual answer on CAPTALK.  Few are capable of speaking in facts without emotional opinion.  In addition, many in CAP are misinformed and will provide inaccurate information. 

You know, you had me up to about right there...

Between national board members, people who were in CAP when the only thing available was black and white television, as well as a few of us with "only" a decade under our ever-increasing belts, the regular members who participate in CAPTalk (and CS) are some of the most experienced, well-informed members of the organization.

The problem is that the facts and personal experience of these people directly conflicts with the reality distortion field that many members erect around themselves. The people you lumped into your blanket statement include staffers at those very activities you mention.

There are also two separate pieces to this argument - the activities themselves, which are generally well-run as activities, but suffer from the same
inconsistency of policy and purpose that CAP has overall, to one degree or another.

And the fallout locally of those who participate when they get back.  The latter is largely out of the hands of those running the activity(s), and in some cases is a larger symptom of shortcomings in the way we execute our program and expectations, but could also be helped by a few direct paragraphs from NHQ regarding the pinch points that make things difficult for local commanders.

"That Others May Zoom"

WT

Just like anything in CAP, remember you are a volunteer, and remember that you will get out of it what YOU put into it!  If you go into it with a clear head, and give it your ALL, you will surely have no options but to find good in it.  If you go into it looking for faults, you will surely find them no matter what you do!

HMRSRANGER

Tyler R. Humphrey, C/2Lt. CAP
Squadron Commander
Hawk Mountain Ranger Search and Rescue School
USAF-AUX
"We Lead"

whatevah

Quote from: HMRSRANGER on January 11, 2012, 01:02:23 AM
SQUIRRRELLLLLL
lets see, it's been 4 months since the last post and you thought THAT would be a worthwhile contribution?

*locked*
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin