National Blue Beret Questions

Started by Rocketguy, March 15, 2011, 03:02:41 AM

tatumrd

I'm pretty excited about NBB. You mentioned a mil-spec poncho. Will a goretex jacket work?

Also would you recommend I invest in a camel back? I've been wanting one for awhile and I don't really like canteens.
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

NCRblues

Quote from: tatumrd on March 18, 2011, 04:13:33 AM
I'm pretty excited about NBB. You mentioned a mil-spec poncho. Will a goretex jacket work?

Also would you recommend I invest in a camel back? I've been wanting one for awhile and I don't really like canteens.

A goretex is ok, but water will get through it eventually, so bring both, and problem solved. When your on a 3 hour flight line in the rain, because the EAA still wants IFR to land and taxi past you, water will get in everything you have, so bring both.

A camel pack is nice. The major problem we find up at NBB is that first time cadets buy a new big camel pack, but forget that there ES gear and safety vest cant work together. So make sure your ES gear will fit with the camel pack and then go for it. BUT...just in case something happens to the bladder on the camel pack, bring your canteens anyway... ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

tatumrd

Ok good stuff. Where can I get a mil-spec poncho?
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

jimmydeanno

I was just going to suggest the Hock Shop, but...

You can find them a bunch of places, like:

Brigade Quartermaster

Vermont's Barre

Hassayampasurplus

And about 385,000 other locations. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

tatumrd

Alright. Thanks for all the advice. Now about getting there...
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

NCRblues

Quote from: tatumrd on March 18, 2011, 04:54:09 AM
Alright. Thanks for all the advice. Now about getting there...

Your on your own about getting there. As a cadet both times i went, i got a flight that changed aircraft in Chicago, and went into Appleton. (easiest way for cadets if you cant hitch a ride in a cap van)

As a SM, i drove.... :-\

Always odd to DRIVE to the worlds largest fly-in....

WESSginger

Fly there if you can. The drive from Maxwell to NBB for me was like 14-16 hours. Gas was going to cost just as much as a plane ticket was.
David Carriker, C/Capt, CAP
NESA staff #577/NBB Delta flight 2010/COS 2011 Flight 5

tatumrd

Yeah I'll have to figure that one out. I'll have to look at airline prices. Although I do know my squadron commander flies up every year anyways.
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

ES Ninja

Quote from: tatumrd on March 18, 2011, 04:34:39 AM
Ok good stuff. Where can I get a mil-spec poncho?

Check out Ebay (www.ebay.com) and your local military surplus store. I just got myself a new mil-spec poncho on Ebay a couple weeks ago. Come to think of it, I've gotten nearly all my uniform stuff and ES gear from Ebay... Oh, and definitely bring that coat too, because it can get pretty cold at night.
Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron

Shotgun

Quote from: ES Ninja on March 17, 2011, 04:26:25 PM
Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on March 17, 2011, 02:17:15 PM
Quote from: ES Ninja on March 17, 2011, 02:10:14 PM
... and you'll be part of the NBB cadre - an elite group you can't understand until you're a beret.

Well, that should start some interesting commentary.  Cadet, put on your kevlar.

After noticing the mindset displayed in the Blue Beret-related posts on this website, allow me to apologize for my poor choice in phraseology (I did not mean to start a controversy) and exchange the word "elite" for one more correct:

You'll be part of the NBB cadre - a CAP minority of well-trained, seasoned UDF and FLM qualified cadets who have been through two tough weeks at the largest airshow in the world together - and you can't understand the beret mentality until you're a beret.

Well Said!  Having pride in being part of an experience that only a relatively few will share is a good thing.

NBB, NCC, COS, PJOC, NESA, Hawk Mountin and even encampment are all great activities and the esprit de corps that develops between those that attend and work together benefits both the individual and the organization.

I'm hoping to attend NBB as a Senior Staff member this year and am looking forward to earning my beret!

ES Ninja

Quote from: Man Of Action on March 22, 2011, 05:39:59 PM
I'm hoping to attend NBB as a Senior Staff member this year and am looking forward to earning my beret!

I'm sure you'll have a blast too, sir. What position are you going for?
Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron

NCRblues

[/quote]

Senior member slotting is out today, so if you got selected you should know.  :D

Eeyore

Hopefully, I'll see you there. I was slotted for Senior Staff, based on the email, I believe I will be a flight TAC.

Cool Mace

Quote from: edmo1 on March 22, 2011, 07:56:28 PM
Hopefully, I'll see you there. I was slotted for Senior Staff, based on the email, I believe I will be a flight TAC.

Dangit! I have to spend 2 weeks with you, Eric AND Piper!? Maybe I won't go anymore.

Nah! Congrats sir! Can't wait to go!
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

RickFranz

Quote from: edmo1 on March 22, 2011, 07:56:28 PM

Look forward to meeting you.  This will be my fifth year there, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Shotgun

Quote from: NCRblues on March 22, 2011, 07:46:51 PM

Senior member slotting is out today, so if you got selected you should know.  :D
[/quote]

Well . . . I'm still listed as an alternate for both of the activities I applied to as a Senior Member.

Again, am I wrong in my understanding that SM are not "slotted" in the same manner as cadets and that we are contacted individually by the organizers?

That's what happened last year when I applied to NBB (which I had to decline) and COS (which I attended).

I have gotten an email for SUPT-FC at Columbus AFB based on my NCSA application, but nothing regarding NBB.

Edit:
I also ran some of the NCSA activity reports available to me in eServices and see that it does indeed look like that they have "slotted" the staff for NBB and I'm in the Alternate List. I'm disappointed . . . especially since I was the SM who was "green light" for their choice of activity in my Wing. (And looking at the Activity Director report I was one of 5 adults "green lit" for NBB)

I must admit I'm feeling a little disappointed in not being selected for any of the NCSA's a applied to.

NCRblues

You are correct that the director of NBB would have contacted you, and yes the staff has been slotted. I am truly sorry you did not make it.

Let me explain something about the CAP job at Oshkosh. Back in '05 i was invited to sit in on the planing meetings before the event took place with the then NBB commander Col. Glasgow. It was made abundantly clear many many times that the EAA, FAA and NTSB will only allow so many um "newbies" to TAC flights up at Oshkosh.

They want a certain percentage to return every year. It gets very complicated with the legal ramifications out on the flight line. The planing section must be very very careful not to put a new TAC and his/her flight on flight line north or south when one of the "mass arrivals" comes in. The EAA and FAA wants people who have done it before so the 2500 or so (insert G.A. aircraft here) can land on one runway and exit the area safe.

NBB is an odd thing. We as CAP really have little control over our people. If the FAA says no we want someone with at least 3 times doing it, than guess what? We put someone with 3 times or we don't get asked back.

Now that being said, we try and rotate out the amount of people returning vs. newbies. I would say 65% of the Staff this year is new, which IMHO of course, is going to make life very hard for those of us that are returning. If you have any questions you can PM and i will try my best to explain them.

My advice is to try every year for a spot, and it never helps to make your face known around your wing HQ, because that's who gets the phone calls when we ask " who would be really good at..."  ;)

Rogovin

This is a gold mine of information... now if only i had a full packing list.  Did/does anyone get/have one they could send me?  Me and a few buddies who are going are missing that information.

-Rogovin

NCRblues

Quote from: Rogovin on April 16, 2011, 01:45:29 AM
This is a gold mine of information... now if only i had a full packing list.  Did/does anyone get/have one they could send me?  Me and a few buddies who are going are missing that information.

-Rogovin

packing list's will be sent out very soon. Be patient , my young grasshopper  ;D

WESSginger

Quote from: ES Ninja on March 17, 2011, 02:10:14 PM
Hey y'all, I'm an NBB 2010 graduate, and was a flight commander. So, here's from my experience:

Quote from: Rocketguy on March 15, 2011, 03:02:41 AM
will GTM cover all of that? or will I need to find additional training?  thanks

No worries, everything you need to know and don't, you will be taught.

Quote from: Rocketguy on March 15, 2011, 03:02:41 AM
does anyone have any suggestions as to what extra to bring i.e. anything they don't put on the packing list?

If you have your 24 hour gear, BRING ALL OF IT. Last year most of us only brought our UDF gear (because that's what was on the packing list), and when we went to do pack inspection we got in trouble. Our TAC had to make a run to Walmart for a few of our flight members. One thing not on the list you need is an orange vest. RRING ONE! Last year they ran out. Also, last year it rained a ton (we refer to it as the Splosh-kosh Airshow) so I would advise bringing a mil-spec poncho (it keeps you drier than the cheap kind). Also, a second pair of boots is totally worth it, if you have more than one pair. Finally, bring a couple razors just for shaving your beret! Then when you get it, you won't have to wait for your TAC to grab some before you can get started.

Quote from: tatumrd on March 15, 2011, 02:57:07 PM
I have never been to a NCSA. So this will be my first year at NBB. I will be attending as a Lt Col possibly a full Colonel. What can i expect as far as leadership goes?

Good question. As far as cadet leadership goes, rank means nothing. You will be dealing with mostly officers, and you will be in a no-salute zone nearly 24-7. ES Quals don't mean nearly as much as at a SAREX, either, because by the end of NBB you all have quite a list.There will be two "leadership structures," if you will. The first is staff-wise. TACs select their flight commanders and flight leaders (officer equivalent of flight sergeant) the day before the activity starts. These two cadets will be in charge of your flight. Cadet staff position has nothing to do with rank, so if you don't get staff, expect to follow a lower-ranking cadet for the activity. The second structure is the RBs, or Returning Berets. Those who have already completed NBB have special privileges at the activity (word of caution: stay off the green!) that other cadets, regardless of rank, do not. Also, although they may not be staff, they will be respected by their staff, and by other cadets.

Final words: don't let anything get your spirits down (including security shifts on the flight line at 0300 in pouring rain)! NBB is what you make it. Be prepared to work hard, laugh a lot, walk a ton, beat the Boyscouts at the annual CAP-Boyscout volleyball competition, and go to bed exhausted but satisfied each night. When you leave, you'll have some amazing friends, and you'll be part of the NBB cadre - an elite group you can't understand until you're a beret. Have fun, and good luck!
Good memories. I remeber how much we got along the first few day :p and now look at how good we get along!!!! :)
David Carriker, C/Capt, CAP
NESA staff #577/NBB Delta flight 2010/COS 2011 Flight 5