Florida Encampment Staff

Started by Cms.sloane, August 21, 2010, 03:13:48 AM

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2010, 04:45:12 PM
Quote from: vorter on September 05, 2010, 04:39:33 PM
eh, i see it as just a synonym for cadet...
no one has ever used it disrespectfully at encampment, basically used the same as cadet...
but it may be different for others

It isn't.  It is a "hardkewl" term used incorrectly and inappropriately in our context.  A C/CMSgt attending his first encampment
may be a lot of things, but he's no "doolie" in the sense the word is normally used.

There is also the fact that it is lame.  We don't do ourselves any favors when we, as seniors, allow these kinds of terms to be propagated.

Emphasis mine.
I was certainly a 'basic' without any argument. But a doolie? Heh. There were doolie staff, but only basic basics. ;)

P.S. All GAWG cadets attending their first (or repeating for whatever reason) encampment were basics.

MIKE

'Basic' is no different IMO, since CAP has established manners of address for each grade.
Mike Johnston

DakRadz

Quote from: MIKE on September 06, 2010, 02:23:20 PM
'Basic' is no different IMO, since CAP has established manners of address for each grade.
I noticed that we ended up being called by last name more than basic by about 2-3 days in. It was more a descriptor and easy clarification- "Staff or Basic??" "Basic, ma'am!" "But you're a Chief.. Anyway, get moving!"
or
"Van 3 has 8 basics and 2 cadet staff"

davidsinn

Quote from: MIKE on September 06, 2010, 02:23:20 PM

If you're going to use that logic than we can't call them staff cadets either...

Basic is a classification of all cadets at encampment that are not staff. If you call for one cadet you should use the proper term of address for that cadets: Rank/name or Cadet/name
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Basic =/= Doolie.

Basic Cadets get addressed as a flight or squadron, or by name and grade.

A Doolie is just derogatory.

I've never come up to a single cadet and called them "Basic" anything. I've heard of people in other wings call Basic cadets "Doolie Smith".

Fly Boy

The only time I remember being called a Doolie was during inproscessing. The staff didn't know our names at the time. After that I was almost always called by my last name.

I feel that it is only offensive if you make it offensive. I wouldn't give a care what they called me as long as I knew that I wasn't receiving "special treatment" (my definition of hazing).

my 2 cents

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

PHall

Quote from: Fly Boy on September 06, 2010, 05:23:13 PM
The only time I remember being called a Doolie was during inproscessing. The staff didn't know our names at the time. After that I was almost always called by my last name.

I feel that it is only offensive if you make it offensive. I wouldn't give a care what they called me as long as I knew that I wasn't receiving "special treatment" (my definition of hazing).

my 2 cents

How could they not know your name? It's right there on your chest for all to see.

BillB

PHall

Many cadets arrive at an encampment in civilian clothes after a 6+ hour drive. Until they get assigned to a barracks they have no chance to get into uniform. So their name is not on their chest.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DakRadz

Quote from: BillB on September 06, 2010, 06:37:24 PM
PHall

Many cadets arrive at an encampment in civilian clothes after a 6+ hour drive. Until they get assigned to a barracks they have no chance to get into uniform. So their name is not on their chest.
Not PHall, but for GAWG cadets were required to arrive in uniform. We all had our BDUs on.

Not sure how it works where he is (CAWG, I think).

"Cadet" also works just as well as any other term. "Cadet" can, with a bit of inflection, be used as a reminder of Totem Pole Status, or even attempt at making it a derogatory term (The derogatory attempts have all been here on CAPTalk)

MSG Mac

Doolie is a derogatory term, and if the cadet is not in uniform on arrival, he should be refered to as "Cadet".
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

Quote from: capchiro on September 03, 2010, 05:49:21 PM
Does anyone have a clue as to how a cadet is supposed to answer Question 4., regarding using the SMART goals cocept and keep the answer short enough to stay in the field area provided?  TIA.

Does the application allow for a seperate page for additionalinformation? 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Hawk200

Quote from: AirAux on September 05, 2010, 11:55:52 PMI really don't think Doolie is inappropriate for CAP as we are an Auxiliary of the Air Force and pattern much after them and their heritage.
It is inappropriate in that it doesn't apply. CAP cadets are not being trained for commission, they aren't spending years at a commissioning school, they don't have the commitments that Air Force Academy cadets do. Air Force Academy cadets are getting degrees along with their commissions.

It's not "patterning" to decide to adopt a term to your own use, and rationalize how your program is the same as the one where the term originated. There are other words for that action.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the people that like to use the term have never been addressed in the manner.

PHall

Quote from: DakRadz on September 06, 2010, 06:46:47 PM
PHall

Not PHall, but for GAWG cadets were required to arrive in uniform. We all had our BDUs on.

"Cadet" also works just as well as any other term. "Cadet" can, with a bit of inflection, be used as a reminder of Totem Pole Status, or even attempt at making it a derogatory term (The derogatory attempts have all been here on CAPTalk)

In CAWG, you arrive in uniform and you leave in uniform. And we have cadets who do 8 hour drives to get to Encampment.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on September 06, 2010, 08:41:50 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on September 06, 2010, 06:46:47 PM
PHall

In CAWG, you arrive in uniform and you leave in uniform. And we have cadets who do 8 hour drives to get to Encampment.

Considering some ES missions can drag 8+ hours in the field, I don't see how a car ride with a/c or open windows is any more unbearable. Cadets usually have to show up to an event in uniform so that they can be inspected on the spot for compliance, in at least one uniform. Now, being in Blues for that time might be somewhat uncomfortable, but BDUs are pants and a jacket...

Fly Boy

Quote from: PHall on September 06, 2010, 05:32:41 PM

my 2 cents

How could they not know your name? It's right there on your chest for all to see.

The cadets who called the Basics "Doolie" were sorting the cadets into their flights, They saw alot of cadets and didn't really care to say names. After that we were introduced to the flight Sargent and commander and they learned our names.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

Eclipse

Quote from: Fly Boy on September 06, 2010, 08:53:29 PM
The cadets who called the Basics "Doolie" were sorting the cadets into their flights, They saw alot of cadets and didn't really care to say names. After that we were introduced to the flight Sargent and commander and they learned our names.

The harder you reach for a justification, the more ridiculous it sounds.  How do you "sort cadets" without knowing their names?

"That Others May Zoom"

Fly Boy

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2010, 09:50:29 PM

The harder you reach for a justification, the more ridiculous it sounds.  How do you "sort cadets" without knowing their names?

As cadets came out of inprocessing, they were put into a line according to gender, and then Flight Staff would come and get the cadets. Some cadets would start goofing off and they would have to be put in line.

BTW, I'm not reaching for a justification. I don't care less if a cadet is called Doolie or Basic or Cadet or Whatever. These tales were from a year ago, when I was only a C/TSGT., so they might be less then accurate.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

davidsinn

Quote from: Fly Boy on September 06, 2010, 10:12:02 PM

As cadets came out of inprocessing, they were put into a line according to gender, and then Flight Staff would come and get the cadets. Some cadets would start goofing off and they would have to be put in line.

That's easy. "At ease" with the proper inflection and volume is all that was needed.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on September 06, 2010, 10:33:47 PM
Quote from: Fly Boy on September 06, 2010, 10:12:02 PM

That's easy. "At ease" with the proper inflection and volume is all that was needed.

Cadets, you are at attention/parade rest.
Cadets, at ease.
Cadets, Military Bearing.

Which one of those needs to have doolie inserted?

HGjunkie

Quote from: PHall on September 06, 2010, 05:32:41 PM

my 2 cents

The cadets who called the Basics "Doolie" were sorting the cadets into their flights, They saw alot of cadets and didn't really care to say names. After that we were introduced to the flight Sergeant and commander and they learned our names.
*grumble grumble*

Fix'd
••• retired
2d Lt USAF