Florida Encampment Staff

Started by Cms.sloane, August 21, 2010, 03:13:48 AM

HGjunkie

Quote from: Fly Boy on September 01, 2010, 10:19:00 PM
Being from the same unit as USNA, I could say that he could probably handle a flight sergeant post. Only Problem I see would be his rank.
There was a C/TSgt on flight staff @ my doolie encampment from ALWG. Don't see grade being an issue.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 01, 2010, 10:37:07 PM
Being from the same unit as USNA, I could say that he could probably handle a flight sergeant post. Only Problem I see would be his rank.
There was a C/TSgt on flight staff @ my doolie encampment from ALWG. Don't see grade being an issue.

Same here for GAWG 2010. He came all the way from Nebraska to be a Flt/Sgt.

Fly Boy, is USNASomeday a former/current NJROTC cadet?

Fly Boy

Quote from: DakRadz on September 01, 2010, 11:00:33 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on September 01, 2010, 10:37:07 PM

Same here for GAWG 2010. He came all the way from Nebraska to be a Flt/Sgt.

Fly Boy, is USNASomeday a former/current NJROTC cadet?

As Far as I know he is neither. But being his Flight Sgt. Ive seen how he carries himself and even if his staff position is a "baptism by fire" he should be able to overcome and adapt. PM sent with other info.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

capchiro

Does anyone have a clue as to how a cadet is supposed to answer Question 4., regarding using the SMART goals cocept and keep the answer short enough to stay in the field area provided?  TIA.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

HGjunkie

Quote from: capchiro on September 03, 2010, 05:49:21 PM
Does anyone have a clue as to how a cadet is supposed to answer Question 4., regarding using the SMART goals cocept and keep the answer short enough to stay in the field area provided?  TIA.
I had the same question:
linky
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

capchiro

Actually the cadet had the SMART goals summary, but couldn't fit a decent answer into the field provided on the Application. It was really wierd, the field would expand to fit the complex answer, but when saved or printed, it cut off a lot of his answer.  Strange to say the least, irritating to say the most..  Any takers??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

HGjunkie

Oops. Misread the question.

Well, I had the same problem. My final text for the SMART question literally filled up each line. I had pretty much zero room left. All I can say is edit edit edit. Paraphrase, and find shortcuts to get your point across in as little space as possible.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Can we please add "doolie" to the profanity filter?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2010, 03:34:11 PM
Can we please add "doolie" to the profanity filter?

Yes please. It's a derogatory term used to address cadets and has no place in this organization.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vorter

eh, i see it as just a synonym for cadet...
no one has ever used it disrespectfully at encampment, basically used the same as cadet...
but it may be different for others
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

Eclipse

Quote from: vorter on September 05, 2010, 04:39:33 PM
no one has ever used it disrespectfully at encampment, basically used the same as cadet...

It isn't.  It is a "hardkewl" term used incorrectly and inappropriately in our context.  A C/CMSgt attending his first encampment
may be a lot of things, but he's no "doolie" in the sense the word is normally used.

There is also the fact that it is lame.  We don't do ourselves any favors when we, as seniors, allow these kinds of terms to be propagated.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

This is one of the results I got when I googled it:

QuoteDoolie is an adjective used to describe a noun which the speaker considers to be of, or associated with a lower class from themselves. It may also refer to objects which are dirty or of a low intelligence.

That was one of the more polite ones. Here's another one:

QuoteDuring basic, "doolies"—a term for freshmen that comes from a Greek word for slave—are not allowed any outside contact except for letters and one phone call halfway through.

The bolded phrase is exactly why we should not use it. If you need a term to describe the first year attendees independent from the cadet staff use "basic." It works because it is their basic encampment.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Doolie is equivalent to noob not cadet. Every cookie is a cadet but not every cadet is a doolie. But as a C/SSgt I'm sure calling newer cadets that sound more appealing than just cadet so and so.

Майор Хаткевич

Cookie* = Doolie. [darn] droid x.

vorter

hmm? no, i call other cadets by grade (e.g. airman) no matter where I am
doolie just sounds funny to me
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

Майор Хаткевич

Then why use it? At its core use it's meant to put new cadets in their place. Not something we should be using in CAP. I think even the AFA doesn't allow its use anymore.

HGjunkie

If it's so innapropriate, then why does FLWG engrave it on encampment challenge coins? Mine says "Doolie", and I could care less. Dictionary.com says that it means "a first-year cadet in the U.S. Air Force Academy. " So, it's an adaptation of that.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 05, 2010, 05:12:07 PM
Then why use it? At its core use it's meant to put new cadets in their place. Not something we should be using in CAP. I think even the AFA doesn't allow its use anymore.
Well, you don't want basic cadets running around thinking they run the place.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 05, 2010, 06:31:15 PM

The term "basic cadet" or "basic" serves to define a cadet's role quite nicely in the majority of the rest of the country.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 05, 2010, 06:31:15 PM
If it's so innapropriate, then why does FLWG engrave it on encampment challenge coins? Mine says "Doolie", and I could care less. Dictionary.com says that it means "a first-year cadet in the U.S. Air Force Academy. " So, it's an adaptation of that.

So because someone wanted to be hardkewl at the encampment an made challange coins with a term that fell out if favor at the place that made it popular makes t rights?

Doolie comes with the connotation of hazing. Basic comes with the understanding of a first time activity.

AirAux

Time Magazine, Jan. 19, 1962, "When a "doolie," a first-year man at the U.S. Air Force Academy, is braced by an upperclassman, he sucks in his gut, throws out his chest and brays: "Sir, a doolie is that insignificant whose rank is measured in negative units, one whose potential for learning is unlimited." At meals he sits at attention and lifts his fork from plate to mouth in the rectangular movement of a robot; he shouts his response when asked a question. Until not so long ago, when entering his dormitory, he had to rasp in intercom fashion: "Sir, Air Force Academy jet 201K turning base, three green."*

The new Air Academy began all this business six years ago by grafting its own lingo on a century-old tradition at West Point and Annapolis. It is not quite hazing; an upperclassman has to ask a doolie's permission to touch him, even to straighten his tie. But if the official term for the custom is only "harassment," it still licenses upperclassmen to make life miserable for new men on the theory that "weak sisters" will quit."

I really don't think Doolie is inappropriate for CAP as we are an Auxiliary of the Air Force and pattern much after them and their heritage. 

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,895865,00.html#ixzz0yhbiPMPI