Florida Encampment Staff

Started by Cms.sloane, August 21, 2010, 03:13:48 AM

DakRadz

Any suggestions as to staff positions for choices number 2 and 3? First choice is Flt/CC, and I don't think I can handle Sqd/CC quite yet (maybe GAWG 2011 :D), so I guess I'm wondering what the best support positions are.

A few which I don't know the definition for-
Food Services- does FLWG provide their own meals? What does this entail?
Group Superintendent- what sort of Group? An actual 2-3 squadrons formation, or something else entirely?
Medical- what can cadets really do here?
Standardization/Evaluation- Ooo, encampment check rides? Really though... This one warrants an inquiry.
Safety- an assistant? This was SM run at GAWG 2010

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on August 22, 2010, 05:38:42 AM
Any suggestions as to staff positions for choices number 2 and 3? First choice is Flt/CC, and I don't think I can handle Sqd/CC quite yet (maybe GAWG 2011 :D), so I guess I'm wondering what the best support positions are.

A few which I don't know the definition for-
Food Services- does FLWG provide their own meals? What does this entail?
Group Superintendent- what sort of Group? An actual 2-3 squadrons formation, or something else entirely?
Medical- what can cadets really do here?
Standardization/Evaluation- Ooo, encampment check rides? Really though... This one warrants an inquiry.
Safety- an assistant? This was SM run at GAWG 2010
Food services- sounds like KP.

Group superintendent- ?

Medical- hands out meds, take care of sick cadets.

Safety officer- basically a field medic.

Stan/Eval- does inspections, determines honor flight, honor cadet etc...

That's my understanding of things.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Sounds like vs. "I know this is what it is" is a huge difference. I kinda have a few hunches- I asked so anyone who knew for sure could clarify.

Well, yeah... I don't know either.

As touchy a subject handing meds out to cadets is, are you seriously suggesting they would allow a cadet to do this??
I don't buy that.

Same with being a medic- and as a Safety officer?? That sounds just like an extension of medical, not Safety.

The Stan/Eval sounds like you're guessing.  *Sounds* like a nice job, but if that ain't wut it does, et ain't wut I want.

I was really looking for someone who's BTDT and can give me an actual description of the real job. So any past FLWG encampment staff want to help me out?

DBlair

Quote from: DakRadz on August 22, 2010, 01:31:56 PM
Sounds like vs. "I know this is what it is" is a huge difference. I kinda have a few hunches- I asked so anyone who knew for sure could clarify.

Well, yeah... I don't know either.

As touchy a subject handing meds out to cadets is, are you seriously suggesting they would allow a cadet to do this??
I don't buy that.

Same with being a medic- and as a Safety officer?? That sounds just like an extension of medical, not Safety.

The Stan/Eval sounds like you're guessing.  *Sounds* like a nice job, but if that ain't wut it does, et ain't wut I want.

I was really looking for someone who's BTDT and can give me an actual description of the real job. So any past FLWG encampment staff want to help me out?

A few points to consider...

- There are very strict rules as to dispensing medication. A Cadet will not be doing this- most SMs will not even be doing this.

- Likewise, a cadet who is an encampment "Medic" will be limited in what they can do based firstly on CAP policy and secondly on a lack of qualifications even if they were allowed. Considering that I know of a Cadet who was assigned as a "medic" to FLWG Encampment and he doesn't have any qualifications beyond basic CPR. This makes me think that Cadet "medics" don't really do much.

- There is a difference between a Medic and a Safety Officer. Keep in mind that Cadet positions on staff that are linked to a SM position often involve shadowing that SM and helping them with their duties- similar to positions at a unit.

...perhaps I'll apply for staff next summer. I would have for winter encampment, but I'm not a fan of how they always schedule it to include New Year's Eve/Day.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

DC

DakRadz

Much appreciated, sir.

I'm slightly torn here. On one hand I could go as a Flt/CC or Stan/Eval (my top two choices at the moment), but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. I've only been to one CAP encampment; never had the chance to go as a C/NCO... I don't have a lot of experience with this and I'm supposed to be training cadets.

Anyone ever heard of a C/officer as a doolie? ::)

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on August 22, 2010, 03:00:05 PM
Much appreciated, sir.

I'm slightly torn here. On one hand I could go as a Flt/CC or Stan/Eval (my top two choices at the moment), but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. I've only been to one CAP encampment; never had the chance to go as a C/NCO... I don't have a lot of experience with this and I'm supposed to be training cadets.

I heard a rumor about it at my basic encampment that when a cadet hits Mitchell they go back as a doolie... never seen it done though.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DC

Much appreciated, sir.

IMHO encampment staff experience is not essential. It would certainly improve your understanding of how things work, but any competent C/2d Lt should be able to handle an encampment Flight CC position.

BillB

As to a cadet officer attending an encampment as a doolie, I find that to be hard to believe. Since an encampment is required PRIOR to the Mitchell, how did the cadet get a Mitchell without an encampment. Somebody pencil whip something here? The only possible way I can see this is if the cadet officer who has attended an encampment, applied for a staff position, didn't get it and still wanted to attend the encampment.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DakRadz

Quote from: DC on August 22, 2010, 03:26:38 PM
IMHO encampment staff experience is not essential. It would certainly improve your understanding of how things work, but any competent C/2d Lt should be able to handle an encampment Flight CC position.
That was either encouragement or a challenge of my manhood ;D I'll apply if I can get the money in, then. Maybe I can talk to the SMs running applications and explain to them I'll have plenty of money when I show up to encampment? You know, day after Christmas and the day of my birthday.

I look forward to doing my best to be there and when I am there, regardless of what capacity it's in.

ßτε

Much appreciated, sir.

Remember the encampment is still 4 months away. You may even have your Earhart by then.

DBlair

As a Cadet Officer, you've progressed through the program and most likely served in various staff positions along the way. You should be able to handle most positions on encampment staff (especially as a potential C/Capt by then), the main difference being that it is full time for a week instead of one night a week, etc.

DakRadz

Okay, question- on the FLWG Staff Application, how does the parental approval and squadron certification happen?

It wants the forms to be electronically included in the application, so I don't see how it would be signed/approved.

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on August 23, 2010, 09:33:12 PM
Okay, question- on the FLWG Staff Application, how does the parental approval and squadron certification happen?

It wants the forms to be electronically included in the application, so I don't see how it would be signed/approved.

Umm, Scanner?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

HGjunkie

Quote from: BillB on August 22, 2010, 03:37:42 PM
As to a cadet officer attending an encampment as a doolie, I find that to be hard to believe. Since an encampment is required PRIOR to the Mitchell, how did the cadet get a Mitchell without an encampment. Somebody pencil whip something here? The only possible way I can see this is if the cadet officer who has attended an encampment, applied for a staff position, didn't get it and still wanted to attend the encampment.
Sounds right.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Quote from: davidsinn on August 23, 2010, 10:02:10 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on August 23, 2010, 09:33:12 PM

Umm, Scanner?
D'oh!!
"Ensure ALL signature fields are signed on the FLWG Form 500B before scanning and uploading.  Remember, all fillable fields on the FLWG Form 500B MUST by filled electronically before print/scan."

Thanks sir! :-[
Good thing I saw this prior to my CAP meeting night, get on it while I'm thinking about it.

USNASomeDay

Just out of curiosity: do you think they would let a "new" C/SSgt be Flight Sergent? (If all stays on schedule I would be C/SSgt the week prior to encampment).

Current choices: 1. Flight Sergent
                                2. Communications
                                3. Stan/Eval

C/SSgt Youngblood
SER-FL-169

DBlair

Quote from: USNASomeDay on August 31, 2010, 08:23:13 PM
Just out of curiosity: do you think they would let a "new" C/SSgt be Flight Sergent? (If all stays on schedule I would be C/SSgt the week prior to encampment).

2. Communications
                                3. Stan/Eval

Have you already been through encampment?

It really is tough to say if you'd be selected as a Flight Sergeant as it really depends on your CAP experience back at your unit and also at other activities, and also who else applies.

HGjunkie

Quote from: USNASomeDay on August 31, 2010, 08:23:13 PM
Just out of curiosity: do you think they would let a "new" C/SSgt be Flight Sergeant? (If all stays on schedule I would be C/SSgt the week prior to encampment).

2. Communications
                                3. Stan/Eval

Fix'd. Anyways, sure. It would give you experience, and a "baptism by fire" start to leading a flight.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Fly Boy

Being from the same unit as USNA, I could say that he could probably handle a flight sergeant post. Only Problem I see would be his rank.

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169