Georgia encampment 2010

Started by me-262favof planes, May 06, 2010, 02:02:47 AM

me-262favof planes

hey there all cap members!! i wanted to know who was goin to Georgia encampment this year and is it good or bad? food quality? thought i might make some friends that are goin there to help me along since im a newbie!! ;D

C/CMSgt

I'm not in Georgia Wing, so obviously no. :P

But good luck at the encampment! Keep your head high and ALWAYS WORK WITH YOUR TEAM! ;)

me-262favof planes

i'm not in the georgia wing either im in FL but my squadron is goin to the georgia wing encampment so we can have our c103 ride to DC.. Its gonna be fun!! 22 cadets, 1 van, 10 hour trip to augusta!! lol ill take video maybe! ;D

mynetdude

Quote from: me-262favof planes on May 07, 2010, 01:36:08 PM
i'm not in the georgia wing either im in FL but my squadron is goin to the georgia wing encampment so we can have our c103 ride to DC.. Its gonna be fun!! 22 cadets, 1 van, 10 hour trip to augusta!! lol ill take video maybe! ;D

You can fit that many people in 1 van? Those vans can only fit 12-15 pax I think you are mistaken.

SarDragon

AND, since the back seats have all been removed, they hold even less. There's at least one wing that limits occupancy to nine (ten?) people because of vehicle definitions - more than nine (ten?) makes it a bus, requiring a higher level license.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on May 08, 2010, 04:56:04 AM
AND, since the back seats have all been removed, they hold even less. There's at least one wing that limits occupancy to nine (ten?) people because of vehicle definitions - more than nine (ten?) makes it a bus, requiring a higher level license.

AFAIK the vans in ORWG and WAWG both have back seats in the larger vans. I could be wrong about the WAWG vans though.

SarDragon

Back seat, as in the rearmost. Poor choice of words.

See here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

me-262favof planes

we went from talking about georgia encampent to the capacity of vans? ??? I was mistaken it's 15 cadets my bust!!

a2capt

^^ You started it by implying you were going to do something .. possibly to the extreme, because when you said "video".. most people don't video what they do daily thats in the norm. ;-)

You said 22, one van.. "this will be fun".

C/CMSgt

AFAIK the vans in ORWG and WAWG both have back seats in the larger vans. I could be wrong about the WAWG vans though.

Select vans in WAWG have bigger backseats.

Out of curiosity, which squadron are you from?

me-262favof planes

Quote from: a2capt on May 08, 2010, 03:23:46 PM
^^ You started it by implying you were going to do something .. possibly to the extreme, because when you said "video".. most people don't video what they do daily thats in the norm. ;-)

You said 22, one van.. "this will be fun".

WOW :clap: you depicted that well! i was gonna video it cause its my first encampment,and you know with a bunch of kids,long trip plus cramped space only god knows what will happen!! video journal kind of thing to keep 4 memories

me-262favof planes

I cant wait!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D thinking about it::) ::) ::)

exFlight Officer

Quote from: me-262favof planes on May 06, 2010, 02:02:47 AM
hey there all cap members!! i wanted to know who was goin to Georgia encampment this year and is it good or bad? food quality? thought i might make some friends that are goin there to help me along since im a newbie!! ;D

Hello. I am attending the 2010 GAWG Encampment! I am on staff and just got back from RST today. Im sure you will have fun and learn many things !!  Any of your cadets on staff ? 

me-262favof planes

i belive my chief master Sargent Dooley and a few others will...

tebert

My son is going to the encampment.  This will be his first and he is pretty excited.  He is a C/Amn in the Griffin Composite Squadron.

vorter

Yeah im going too.
I'll be C/A1C or C/SrA Hyeung from the Peachtree City- Falcon Field Squadron ( The best squadron in GAWG)
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

vorter

Hey who knows if we get to shoot M16A4's this year?
And what do you mean by the c103 (C130?) trip to DC?
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

a2capt

If thats a typofested C-130, then it sounds like a bit more than your standard O-Flight. Good for them. :)

me-262favof planes

well its been a while since i posted here and only 7 cadets r going now :-\  my squadron is FL152..and we are now starting to train for encampment.. wow this is SOO fun!

me-262favof planes

Quote from: vorter on June 01, 2010, 04:38:40 AM
Hey who knows if we get to shoot M16A4's this year?
And what do you mean by the c103 (C130?) trip to DC?

yes thanks 4 correcting me! we are going to take a flight to DC a while after encampment..

Spaceman3750

Quote from: me-262favof planes on June 14, 2010, 08:35:43 PM
and we are now starting to train for encampment

Train for encampment?

DC

Yeah.... You really shouldn't need any special training for encampment, just know how to drill, wear your uniform and say "Yes Sergeant!".

I have always given my cadets going to encampment a breifing on what to expect, what to pack (i.e. everything on the list and nothing that isn't) and some tips on how to get through it. Nothing fancy though, just a 20 minute talk / Q&A.

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on June 15, 2010, 06:13:49 PM
Yeah.... You really shouldn't need any special training for encampment, just know how to drill, wear your uniform and say "Yes Sergeant!".

+1

An encampment's purpose is to enhance and extend the regular training already being provided as a matter of course during your
regular unit operations.

A proper Curry cadet is prepared for the situation, "extra" never hurt anyone, but it you find you need to change much to "get ready" for encampment, you're likely missing things every week.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: me-262favof planes on June 14, 2010, 08:35:43 PM
well its been a while since i posted here and only 7 cadets r going now :-\ 

Captalk is not a very good barometer of participation in anything but CAPTalk, and further the cadet population is fairly low.

If there's an encampment, it'll have more than 7 cadets, promise.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

GAWG Encampment- JUN27-JUL3 for basics/doolies/dooleys
Projected numbers 120-150 basic cadets
Several FLWG units/cadets expected

Do NOT arrive at encampment with sleeves rolled, per Army regs. Sleeves will not be rolled for the duration of the encampment.
If you or someone you know wears contacts, make sure glasses are brought; contacts cannot be worn during several activities at the beginning of each day as they involve Army equipment/facilities- if you decide you'd rather wear contacts and forego this training, I honestly don't believe you'll graduate encampment.
I've only got so much info.. I think that covers it, for allowable announcements. I know mine are appropriate because I'll be a doolie/dooley, so no one tells me the secret squirrel files  :D

gawgencampment.com
^ Link is completely unrelated, as it is an advertisement for inkjet printers or something of that nature.
Any other questions, I'll see if I can answer, and the others will rescue me if I don't know  ;D

capchiro

Where did you get your info about the sleeves and contact lenses??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DakRadz

Sir, my DCC is a TAC officer (TACO, hehehe). She was part of a 2(?) hour long conference call when all staff were advised of these changes. They are fairly recent and only released to certain persons- I only know of the encampment staff being told, but perhaps Sqd. CCs were sent emails? I honestly don't know.

I do know the accuracy of the information is spot-on 100%.

BDUs are UV protected, designed for airflow. The big thing is having the sleeves down for sun-protection purposes. But they must be down for the duration of the encampment, to INCLUDE arrival.

Contact lenses not being worn is an Army requirement, due to unpleasant incidents which our CC shared with us- definitely warranted.

capchiro

Well, I am a Sq. CO and I didn't receive any info about the contacts.  Some cadets may wear contacts and not even have any eyeglasses..   If this is truly SOP, someone should be making it known to everyone.. The 2010 Guide posted above doesn't mention it..  If this is a safety problem, we need to know something official.
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DakRadz

I understand that sir, I just thought I'd give a heads-up out of courtesy. I don't believe glasses are required, just contacts prohibited during that part of the day. Even without glasses I'm sure cadets could participate.

I agree with you sir, I'm just not actually on staff. I would NOT post disinformation, however- what I have posted is what I was told. My squadron is listed, so if you'd like to get me 2B'd... :D

Really, though, I'm not sure why this wasn't widely spread to ensure maximum awareness/compliance, but I wanted to help if I could.

The reasoning our CC shared for no contacts was that apparently some soldiers had been in the field with contacts; the sun dried out their eyes/contacts, and when removing the contacts they would also remove their cornea due to the lack of fluid... Shudders
YMMV on that particular incident, but during the land-nav, obstacle course, and range time (all during the beginning of the day) no contacts allowed.

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on June 16, 2010, 05:12:34 PM
I understand that sir, I just thought I'd give a heads-up out of courtesy. I don't believe glasses are required, just contacts prohibited during that part of the day. Even without glasses I'm sure cadets could participate.

I agree with you sir, I'm just not actually on staff. I would NOT post disinformation, however- what I have posted is what I was told. My squadron is listed, so if you'd like to get me 2B'd... :D

Really, though, I'm not sure why this wasn't widely spread to ensure maximum awareness/compliance, but I wanted to help if I could.

The reasoning our CC shared for no contacts was that apparently some soldiers had been in the field with contacts; the sun dried out their eyes/contacts, and when removing the contacts they would also remove their cornea due to the lack of fluid... Shudders
YMMV on that particular incident, but during the land-nav, obstacle course, and range time (all during the beginning of the day) no contacts allowed.

You realize that it could be dangerous to be without contacts if they don't have glasses? You might want to have your TAC send that up her chain. That and if you wear contacts chances are you would have a hard time hitting something as big as the earth with a rifle without them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

I do believe it's all blanks that we'll be shooting, and yes I see the point (with my glasses on, and I get the puns).

I'm really confused why this wasn't sent *down* the chain in the first place. But alas. I'll talk to Lt. about it. Literature really should be out to everyone...
See, I'm ready to be on staff  8) 8)

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on June 16, 2010, 06:08:45 PM
I do believe it's all blanks that we'll be shooting, and yes I see the point (with my glasses on, and I get the puns).

I'm really confused why this wasn't sent *down* the chain in the first place. But alas. I'll talk to Lt. about it. Literature really should be out to everyone...
See, I'm ready to be on staff  8) 8)

Blanks? That's a complete waste of time and powder. I wouldn't even get out of my bunk for blanks. Of course I normally shoot at ranges of 500+ yards ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Bust'n caps is bust'n caps.  How often does a CAPer get trigger time on an M-16, M-4 or M-249...
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: MIKE on June 16, 2010, 11:57:30 PM
Bust'n caps is bust'n caps.  How often does a CAPer get trigger time on an M-16, M-4 or M-249...

I believe in quality training, not making noise just to make noise. NTC Great Lakes has a laser sim range that gives a pretty good idea of what it's like to handle the weapons plus you get to put "holes" in "paper" to see how you compare to other cadets. I was a TAC at GLR south in '07 and they had a similar thing except with pneumatic recoil. I became popular with the cadet exec staff because I was in a sitting position ripping off a 10 rd mag in 5 secs and still out shooting the C/XO who was prone and taking careful aim. That's a much better bonding experience for young cadets than popping off blanks because a little healthy competition is good for a team.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

I said I SHOULD be on staff- I can't provide answers to even the best of questions unless I've thought of them first. I didn't consider that point.. So, ask a GAWG SM who is on encampment staff? If you know/can find one.

DakRadz

GAWG Encampment starts Sunday!!!!!

So tomorrow will be my last day on here for over a week- I doubt I'll spend time on here on the 4th of July!

Looking forward to meeting new people, and if all goes as planned, I have an encampment to complete and 53 days to go until my Mitchell!

Hopefully while I'm gone my service cap and airsoft pistol will arrive.  ;D

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on June 16, 2010, 02:17:06 PM

Do NOT arrive at encampment with sleeves rolled, per Army regs.

The Army has no uniform in common with CAP of which I am aware, so, notwithstanding the fact that AR 670-1 (Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia) does not even apply to CAP*, I doubt the Army cares if a CAP member wears his sleeve's up, sleeve's down or if he even cuts the sleeve's off.

Wearing contacts is not advisable when CS is to be used or in extremely dusty or field environments.

Have fun at the encampment.

*Applicability. This regulation applies to active and retired Army, Army National Guard of the United States (ARNGUS) and U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) personnel. It does not apply to generals of the Army, the Chief of Staff of the Army, or former Chiefs of Staff of the Army, each of whom may prescribe his or her own uniform. It applies to the Reserve Officers Training Corps and the Corps of Cadets, U.S. Military Academy, only when their respective uniform regulations do not include sufficient guidance or instruction. During mobilization, the proponent may modify chapters and policies contained in this regulation. (AR 670-1, 3 Feb 05, page i)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

DakRadz

DISCLAIMER:
I am now spouting my OWN OPINIONS with no basis in hard fact or citations- if you can provide documentation to refute these opinions, DO, PLEASE!! No sarcasm intended- I am supplying these opinions mixed with hearsay in order to provide fuel for a debate which could hopefully end my own and others confusion with these regs/announcements/whatever.

First off, contacts are banned during the times we'll be in those environments, so I suppose that's decided.

Was that the policy for Army BDUs when they had them? That sleeves were down in the field? I only know what I was told: "BDUs are designed to protect from UV rays and to provide airflow, so during encampment you will wear sleeves down" -My DCC, a GAWG Encampment TAC officer. Paraphrased, of course.
It's a safety issue, making sure cadets don't get burnt. As long as we're hydrated, the BDUs do provide airflow, so we shouldn't be overheated if all other protocols are followed- even if the reasoning provided by the upper echelons is faulty, the basic logic is sound, I think.

Top Dawg

Would the guide position be assigned to cadets? This is my first year, and I'm a C/SSgt
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

DakRadz

All positions within the flight are going to be cadets- I have no idea if they would let a doolie do it, though. More likely it'll be the staff cadets.

P.S. As a doolie at encampment, rank doesn't really matter.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on June 26, 2010, 03:56:21 AM

Was that the policy for Army BDUs when they had them? That sleeves were down in the field?

AR 670-1 permitted sleeves to be up in garrison. Sleeves were worn down in the field. In the years leading up to the wear out date (30 Apr 08, IIRC), sleeves were down in most places under local policies.

As you probably know, the ACU is always worn with sleeves down.

Good luck at the encampment. Let us know how it goes.

v/r

DakRadz

Thank you sir. And that makes sense then, because for all intents and purposes we'll be "in the field" during encampment- plus it's simpler to stick with one way to do it.

Next time I post on this topic will be after encampment!!

sgtmalibu

Quote from: vorter on May 21, 2010, 03:19:19 AM
Yeah im going too.
I'll be C/A1C or C/SrA Hyeung from the Peachtree City- Falcon Field Squadron ( The best squadron in GAWG)

Hyeung.. Yes, GA116 is an outstanding squadron. but your comment is unnecessary :P
PTC SOULJAS (:

vorter

Quote from: sgtmalibu on June 27, 2010, 01:18:20 AM
Yeah im going too.

Hyeung.. Yes, GA116 is an outstanding squadron. but your comment is unnecessary :P
PTC SOULJAS (:

and may i ask whom is speaking?
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

HGjunkie

Quote from: vorter on June 27, 2010, 03:19:01 AM
Quote from: sgtmalibu on June 27, 2010, 01:18:20 AM
Yeah im going too.

PTC SOULJAS (:

and may i ask whom is speaking?
lol.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

nicktavegia

Anyone know where the daily photos from the GA Wing Encampment will be posted? 
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

nicktavegia

Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

capchiro

Thank you for posting this information.
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

flyguy06

Yes, Thank you for the link. I liked the first issue of the newsletter :-)

nicktavegia

The newsletter has been updated twice, now, with more pictures.  Graduation is Saturday.
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

DakRadz

I WAS GAWG ENCAMPMENT HONOR CADET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shared the honor with a Cadet Robinson- we tied exactly.

More to come later from the first-hand dooley view.

nicktavegia

;D I was at encampment in ECHO FLT and it was my first Encampment. It was 2 tech Sarge's and 1 C/a1c. Tthe rest of us were C/amn and we got Honor Flight!

I'm on Facebook under Nicholas Tavegia
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

DakRadz

vorter

Alright, maybe Echo got honor, but you cant deny that the most motivated flight was:
GOLF FLIGHT!!!
BEAST MODE!! WHAT? BEAST MODE! WHAT ! BEAST MODE
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

nicktavegia

Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

DakRadz

I'm in picture #11!!!!

I am to the left of the column on the right. The woman leaning against same column is my DCC :D

Very vague picture, but I recognize my bag and my DCC.

EDIT: Also in #32- front row, second from left. Standing right next to the female.

capchiro

It would be nice if the Ga. Wing Encampment PAO, Cpt. Mor, would get the rest of the newsletters posted since she only posted for the first four days.  It would also have been nice to see more cadet pictures for the parents instead of the irrelevant information about Ft. Gordon, etc., ad nauseaum..  JMHO as a former master PAO..
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

nicktavegia

I keep checking. I wonder if we can email them at encamp@gawg.cap.gov and find out if they're going to complete their assignment. 
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on July 04, 2010, 01:54:27 PM
I WAS GAWG ENCAMPMENT HONOR CADET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shared the honor with a Cadet Robinson- we tied exactly.

More to come later from the first-hand dooley view.

Congratulations on a job well done.

nicktavegia

Another installment of pictures and newsletter are up.  I'm in the middle of the top picture on page 7, back row. There's a girl with a camelback to my right and a male in a light t-shirt to my left.

Click and follow other links HERE

Encampment Video will be available soon (uploading to wing server)
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

me-262favof planes

hey nick its me brock remember when i lost my airman pin on land nav? thought i was SCREWED.. lol

we drink water now to piss excellence laterz! GO ECHO!

BOO GOLF  FLIGHT! G-FLT'S MOTTO WE SUCK! WAT? WE SUCK WAT? WEEE SUUCK!

me-262favof planes

vorter

Quote from: me-262favof planes on July 08, 2010, 04:59:00 PM
hey nick its me brock remember when i lost my airman pin on land nav? thought i was SCREWED.. lol

we drink water now to piss excellence laterz! GO ECHO!

BOO GOLF  FLIGHT! G-FLT'S MOTTO WE SUCK! WAT? WE SUCK WAT? WEEE SUUCK!
Oh really?
Well Echo doesnt have any original ideas cuz they " ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO"
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

nicktavegia

Golf flight doesn't know how to play the game!  >:D
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

nicktavegia

Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Cadet of the Quarter

DakRadz

Quote from: Karatian on June 26, 2010, 04:52:55 PM
Would the guide position be assigned to cadets? This is my first year, and I'm a C/SSgt

And look who ended up as the guide... ;D How awesome.

Sorry for the necropost, but I just realized who this is.

Top Dawg

Dude, I really wish it went to someone else. That was awful.
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

DakRadz

It could have went to Forrest, Forrest Gump....

Or multiple others.. You did outstanding, anyway.

You wanted it, you got it! ;D Careful what you wish for!