Enlisting while a cadet

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, October 17, 2018, 03:29:30 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

Soon I plan on enlisting into the US Armed Forces. Can I still be a cadet if I am in the reserve or national guard?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

jhighman

From CAPR 39-2 dated January 2017...

2.2.4. Not a member of the active duty Armed Forces. National Guard and Reserve personnel are not considered active duty Armed Forces unless they are serving on extended active duty. For the purpose of this regulation, CAP does not consider Basic Military Training for Guard and Reserve personnel as extended active duty.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: jhighman on October 17, 2018, 03:32:44 PM

2.2.4. Not a member of the active duty Armed Forces. National Guard and Reserve personnel are not considered active duty Armed Forces unless they are serving on extended active duty. For the purpose of this regulation, CAP does not consider Basic Military Training for Guard and Reserve personnel as extended active duty.

So I may be a part of the reserve or national guard? If so, what exactly is extended active duty? Re-enlisting?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 17, 2018, 03:34:17 PM

So I may be a part of the reserve or national guard? If so, what exactly is extended active duty? Re-enlisting?

As said, BMT isn't considered AD for CAP's purposes, nor in a lot of cases Tech schools (YMMV), however as soon as you go off to do a military job,
deploy, etc., you'd be "real AD" and no longer eligible to be a cadet.

At the point you'd be re-enlisting in just about anything, you'd likely be too old to be a cadet anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on October 17, 2018, 03:39:29 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 17, 2018, 03:34:17 PM

As said, BMT isn't considered AD for CAP's purposes, nor in a lot of cases Tech schools (YMMV), however as soon as you go off to do a military job,
deploy, etc., you'd be "real AD" and no longer eligible to be a cadet.

At the point you'd be re-enlisting in just about anything, you'd likely be too old to be a cadet anyway.

Thanks for the clarification
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

jhighman

Apologies. That first quote discussed initial membership as a cadet, not a change of status for an existing cadet such as yourself!

Obviously you will want to have a thorough conversation with your chain of command to make sure you're all on the same page. Also, if I may interject from personal experience, be careful of those who want to give you "what I would do if I were you" advice. You know yourself and your values better than anyone else, and to thine own self be true!

That said, the regulation does specifically address your question better than my first salvo:

2.5. Upon Joining the Armed Forces. Cadets who join any branch of the active duty Armed Forces (this does not include military service academies) will furnish CAP/DP written notification along with a CAPF 12 and FD Form 258 (see sample at attachment 5), at which time they will be automatically transferred to active membership status. Additional membership dues are not required for the duration of the current membership year; they will be billed as active member renewals. Note: Cadets who join the National Guard or Reserves are not required to become active upon attending "basic training." Regardless of the wording of the orders, "basic training" is not interpreted by CAP as "extended active duty." However, National Guard or Reserve members who enter "extended active duty" are not eligible to be cadets and must become active members. Individuals who join the Armed Forces under the delayed enlistment program are not required to become active members until such time as they actually report for duty.

Note that when it says "active member" or "active membership ", they mean becoming a Senior member.

I will leave it to someone with more Cadet Programs experience than I to help define the "extended" part of "extended active duty."

Spaceman3750

The short answer is that you can continue to be a cadet as Reserve or NG, subject to some conditions.

However, it's been argued here before that once you're serving in an armed service, and you've been to BMT, you've kind of moved past a point in your life where being a cadet makes sense. You're in the real world, with real responsibilities, and the level you're working on is just different. I normally encourage cadets to stay cadets as long as possible. This is one of those areas where, as a commander, I might deviate from that advice a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 17, 2018, 05:25:07 PM
The short answer is that you can continue to be a cadet as Reserve or NG, subject to some conditions.

However, it's been argued here before that once you're serving in an armed service, and you've been to BMT, you've kind of moved past a point in your life where being a cadet makes sense. You're in the real world, with real responsibilities, and the level you're working on is just different. I normally encourage cadets to stay cadets as long as possible. This is one of those areas where, as a commander, I might deviate from that advice a little.

If I do join as Reserves or NG, do I have to enter my service number into eServices?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 17, 2018, 05:27:42 PM

If I do join as Reserves or NG, do I have to enter my service number into eServices?

No. I don't even know where you would put it.

I would have this conversation with your commander or deputy commander and not CAPTalk.

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on October 17, 2018, 05:27:42 PM

No.  There's no action required other then letting your Commanders know, and them monitoring your status.
The day you are AD or EAD, you're not a cadet any more, even if they delay entering the change-over.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Extended Active Duty means anything that does not involve  a training status. In my case I was a member of the Reserves and received a letter stating that effective 1 April I was to report to Fort Jackson, SC for Extended Active Duty. had I been a cadet, I would have been required to become a Senior Member. the orders are Title 10 for Active Duty. I believe it's Title 30 for Reserve components.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 17, 2018, 05:58:57 PM
Extended Active Duty means anything that does not involve  a training status. In my case I was a member of the Reserves and received a letter stating that effective 1 April I was to report to Fort Jackson, SC for Extended Active Duty. had I been a cadet, I would have been required to become a Senior Member. the orders are Title 10 for Active Duty. I believe it's Title 30 for Reserve components.

There are definitive guidelines on that.  It would be best to check with the branch you want to go into.  IIRC extended active was/is anything over 90 days..

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 17, 2018, 06:15:27 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on October 17, 2018, 05:58:57 PM

There are definitive guidelines on that.  It would be best to check with the branch you want to go into.  IIRC extended active was/is anything over 90 days..

It's anything over 180 days, that's why you see 179 day orders. And school tours to attend tech school don't count as extended active duty either. Even if it is longer then 180 days.

GroundHawg

I joined the Army NG while still a cadet, and I was a SMP ROTC cadet at the time as well.
Its not really an issue unless you make it one.
It is definitely a different experience to be a cadet wearing military awards and badges. Be prepared and accept the fact that you will get called out and you will need your NGB22 or DD214 on you at all times.

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on October 18, 2018, 03:01:34 PMyou will need your NGB22 or DD214 on you at all times.

Aren't both of those issued on separation?

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2018, 03:16:31 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on October 18, 2018, 03:01:34 PMyou will need your NGB22 or DD214 on you at all times.

Aren't both of those issued on separation?

You should get a DD214 after EAD service if you're in the Guard, so like a deployment. Because when you're no longer "Active," you'll get the separation from active service paperwork. It doesn't mean you're discharged; you're separated from active duty. You're still in the Guard.

The NGB22 is your separation from the Guard.

Eclipse

Right - so a cadet who is in the Guard or Reserve would not have these to carry around, correct?

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2018, 03:30:33 PM
Right - so a cadet who is in the Guard or Reserve would not have these to carry around, correct?

Not necessarily.  Members that are National Guard may receive a DD214 coming off of IET.  I know of many NG Officers that received DD214s after OBC.  I believe enlisted are the same as well--especially when the AIT is 1 year in length.  Also, if a person enlists in NG and then moves over to ROTC without being SMP, that SM will receive NGB 22 as he/she is being separated from the NG. 

Fubar

I'm starting to think that the military's bureaucracy is almost as bad as ours...

PHall

Quote from: Fubar on October 18, 2018, 07:41:28 PM
I'm starting to think that the military's bureaucracy is almost as bad as ours...

Oh no, CAP has NOTHING on the military bureaucracy. After all, the US military has had 242 years to perfect theirs.