Main Menu

Parents Weekend

Started by CadetProgramGuy, August 16, 2007, 12:54:46 AM

CadetProgramGuy

Hi All!!

We are considering having a parents weekend, inviting all the parents to come to the WTA, bring a friend, ect...

What activities would you propose we have for the parents?

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

CadetProgramGuy

Its an Iowa thing.....Weekend Training Activity.  Kinda like drill weekend for ther guard....

Stonewall

Lots of folks disagree with me, but I keep parents as far away from their cadets as possible.  The most involvement I allowed was open house nights, graduations and the annual holiday party. 

My reasoning is that parents are with their kids a whole bunch more than we are and most of the kids enjoy the 2 hours a week and random weekend away from their parents to do their own thing.  I'vd seen cadets' personalities and attitudes change the minute their parents are around.  And often times it isn't for the better. 

My $.02 cent opinion says keep the parents away and invite them to half of a regular meeting when their kid is being promoted, graduating t-flight or you've got a squadron open house.  Let the cadets keep the weekends for themselves.
Serving since 1987.

CadetProgramGuy

While I respecgt your opinion, the problem here in Iowa is this:

The vast majority of the Wing training is done at the WTA, and parents are reluctant to send cadets 3-4 hours (extreme edges of the wing) to a centralized training.

We are trying to bolster parent support by inviting them to a WTA to see for themselves that this training is seirous training, and hopefully we can gather their support.  We also want the parents to see exactly what their hard earned money is going towards.  It is my hope to treat these parents just like our current members, and show them what the Wing gives back in time money and effort.

Stonewall

Hope it works for you.

I've found success doing it one way while others found equal success doing it another way.  I considered my time in Indian Guides where the motto was "father and son, pals forever" to be the coddling phase of my belonging to a youth program while CAP was my time to be a part of something solely on my own, without parental involvement.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on August 16, 2007, 01:16:56 AM
Lots of folks disagree with me, but I keep parents as far away from their cadets as possible.  The most involvement I allowed was open house nights, graduations and the annual holiday party. 

My reasoning is that parents are with their kids a whole bunch more than we are and most of the kids enjoy the 2 hours a week and random weekend away from their parents to do their own thing.  I'vd seen cadets' personalities and attitudes change the minute their parents are around.  And often times it isn't for the better. 

My $.02 cent opinion says keep the parents away and invite them to half of a regular meeting when their kid is being promoted, graduating t-flight or you've got a squadron open house.  Let the cadets keep the weekends for themselves.

Why are you callling "cadets" kids? I NEVER call cadets kids or children. "kids" dont go out and look for lost airplanes. "kids" dont train in advanced first aid or flying airplanes. Mature "cadets" do these things.

Al Sayre

Hook them up with their cadet and an Lper & have a timed target hunt.  Set up a sbort compass course and have their cadet navigate them through it.  Have an aerospace quiz bowl, Cadets vs parents...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 16, 2007, 02:14:37 AM

Why are you callling "cadets" kids? I NEVER call cadets kids or children. "kids" dont go out and look for lost airplanes. "kids" dont train in advanced first aid or flying airplanes. Mature "cadets" do these things.

Take a chill pill dude.  That's probably first time I've ever refered to cadets as kids.  Gimmie a break, I'm stuck in a bed and on some heavy duty pain meds due to a compression fracture on L1.  Sheeesh...

Even when I talk to parents I call their offspring "cadet".  I think I know what cadets are and the difference between kids and cadets...
Serving since 1987.

floridacyclist

No matter how much fuss we make about cadets being smaller adults, sometimes you just have to admit that they're still kids..especially when referring to them in the same sentence as  parents
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Slim

At encampment graduation, with a couple hundred of them sitting in front of me, I like to refer to them and "Your children, our cadets".

Slim

LtCol White

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 16, 2007, 12:54:46 AM
Hi All!!

We are considering having a parents weekend, inviting all the parents to come to the WTA, bring a friend, ect...

What activities would you propose we have for the parents?

I think its a good idea. It gives the cadets a chance to show off their knowledge in front of the families as well as making the parents more comfortable with what you do with them at the WTA's. I would make it a demo program where you show exactly what they do and have the cadets put on various demonstrations. Let parents join in on line searches, DF sorties, etc...
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 16, 2007, 02:14:37 AM

Lighten up Francis
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

O-Rex

Activites for parents are now an IG inspection item for units below wing (check the SUI Guide)

Serve punch & cookies, and bring out your best and brightest seniors.

ZigZag911

Give the parents a little 'hands on' (let them choose from a couple of things).

I'd definitely have an DF hunt of some sort, maybe offer a 'drill class' for those who'd like to learn a little....we used to do "Simon Says" with trainee cadets to keep it interesting, could be fun... Use some wing t-shirts or hats (if you have such a thing) as prizes

By all means give them time with the Chief!

Consider getting some bumper stickers to give out, along the lines many schools do: "Proud Parent of an Iowa Wing CAP Cadet!"

Major Carrales

We want to hold an "Astronomy Night" where one of our well versed CAP Officers will present some info, stargaze and give the parents a chance to hand out with CAP for a while.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JAFO78

Since many have to travel some distance, why not have a casual night and a BBQ. Everyone could sit around a talk "war stories" about CAP, and have a bone fire if it is in late Sept or Oct.

What about this idea?.........
JAFO

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RobG on August 20, 2007, 10:28:26 PM
Since many have to travel some distance, why not have a casual night and a BBQ. Everyone could sit around a talk "war stories" about CAP, and have a bone fire if it is in late Sept or Oct.

All ideas are great ideas...I will let you all know what I decide to do.  I think we are looking at December.

Skyray

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 20, 2007, 10:43:58 PM
Quote from: RobG on August 20, 2007, 10:28:26 PM

All ideas are great ideas...I will let you all know what I decide to do.  I think we are looking at December.

You should try for August 27, when the Mars hoax will be at its full splendor for your astronomy night.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Eclipse

How do / will you get around the myriad liability and CPPT issues with having non-members participating in a CAP activity?

Non-members would not be allowed to participate in this manner, why would parent get a pass?  There may also  be OPSEC issues in this regard as well.

A BBQ is a lot different than a DF hunt.  What if someone gets hurt?

"That Others May Zoom"