Confirmed and suspected aircraft - drone collisions

Started by Live2Learn, August 06, 2017, 06:12:04 PM

Live2Learn

Here's an interesting table of data collected by ASN.  In the last couple of years the average is 4 aircraft/drone collisions  per year with the vast majority of reports from the US, followed by the United Kingdom.  It's hard to believe this is a complete data set, since a quick look at youtube, vimeo, and other video aps shows a lot of drone activity occurs in other countries of the world.  Still, it's an interesting, though small, slice.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/issue/drones.php

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I fear getting one of these sucked into my turbofan. A CAP plane may be able to dodge it.

PHall

Quote from: Mission/Tow Pilot on August 06, 2017, 06:26:44 PM
I fear getting one of these sucked into my turbofan. A CAP plane may be able to dodge it.

A high-bypass fan could probably handle it if nothing went down the core. Nicked blades maybe but nothing spectacular.
A low-bypass fan? Done... Time for the Engine Failure/Fire Inflight checklist.

Live2Learn

... A CAP plane may be able to dodge it.

Maybe.  A srike on the plexiglass would have a good chace of penetrating with unpretty results.  I've seen a couple SE GA aircraft with squisy bird strikes.  One on the inboard part of the leading  edge, the other on the pilot side of the windscreen.  Both were major hits.  The guy who took it in the face was lucky twice:  first 'cause he had tempered sun glasses, second because he had a pilot rated pax.

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: PHall on August 06, 2017, 06:45:10 PM

A high-bypass fan could probably handle it if nothing went down the core. Nicked blades maybe but nothing spectacular.
Either way it's gonna be ugly 😉

PHall

Quote from: Mission/Tow Pilot on August 06, 2017, 10:15:07 PM
Quote from: PHall on August 06, 2017, 06:45:10 PM

Either way it's gonna be ugly 😉

The final item in the checklist would read "Land as soon as practical."

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot