Main Menu

CAP Resume

Started by Cms.sloane, March 08, 2010, 04:45:47 AM

Cms.sloane

Ok I need help. I'm getting ready to apply to a NCSA (glider academy) and they asked for a CAP resume. I don't know how to make one for CAP. I've made one for jobs but not cap so I'm confused. Could somebody please help me or show me a sample one.

a2capt

Wow, Does 'CMS' mean Cadet Master Sergeant?At least in our part of the woods, resumes are well covered by that point and plenty of opportunities have come forward to use them.Here's one example of what CAP entities may be asking for..
[/size]
Quote from: the Wisconsin 2010 Encampment Commander ApplicationCadets interested in applying for the position as the 2010 Wisconsin Wing Encampment Cadet Commander should immediately forward an e-mail indicating their desire to apply. Additionally, applicants will forward an application package consisting of a resume of their qualifications and a letter of intent prior to the deadline. The two page-maximum resume will include, but is not limited to: CAP & other leadership positions held, awards & decorations, CAP activities participated in, and other relevant professional experience. In the letter of intent, written in CAP memo format and also not to exceed two pages, include: why you'd like to be Cadet Commander, why you believe you are qualified to be Cadet Commander, and your vision for the encampment (including best practices or any changes to the program you'd like to see).
Here's a simple format to follow...
Quote from: Simple Text Resume TemplateName
Address 1
City, State, Zip
Phone
Email Address

Objective
(I would like to attend glider academy, and why and what you will get out of it .. )

Qualifications Text here  (Qualifications, in CAP are not really qualifications but instead describe your CAP experience here, leadership roles, positions held, awards and decorations .. )

Education Text here (CAP wise, any schools you have attended, BCS, ACS, Staff schools, any other types of CAP events that you attended in a learning capacity or staffing capacity.

Relevant Experience Text here (Relevant to aviation, AE, etc - with CAP *and* the community, school, etc.. )

Other Experience Text here (other similar but not aviation related experience/relations, school, community, etc)

References Available Upon Request (..and your references, some examples may be Flight command, cadet command staff, teachers..  not relatives)

... and then help others in your unit with theirs.. so others can apply to National Activities too.

In the last two Summers, my unit has had two attend the Glider Academy, and were selected as staff the second year.

Майор Хаткевич

He had a sig up last night that had C/Amn, so I think he may not have had experience. Each activity has its own requirements, and you can ask older cadets at your unit for help, as they have had an opportunity to do this before.

Cms.sloane

Ok thank you. And also I have been in cap for 8 months. I just don't focus on promotain. Cms stands for the initails of my name.

JC004

Normally on a CAP resume, you'd put awards, the positions you've had, major activities you've attended, major training you've had, any related certifications that you have (CAP certifications, FEMA courses, etc.), and the like, but it does not sound like you have much of that yet. 

James Shaw

You can try looking on some of the regional and wing websites. They may have samples of resumes and biographies.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

davidsinn

Quote from: Cms.sloane on March 08, 2010, 12:55:18 PM
Ok thank you. And also I have been in cap for 8 months. I just don't focus on promotain. Cms stands for the initails of my name.

Have you been to a basic encampment yet? If you haven't then you are not eligible for an NCSA.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: Cms.sloane on March 08, 2010, 12:55:18 PM
Ok thank you. And also I have been in cap for 8 months. I just don't focus on promotain.

You need to.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Eclipse is correct.  Most applications are rated/ranked based upon age and rank in CAP as rank shows active participation in the program..

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on March 08, 2010, 06:16:21 PM
Eclipse is correct.  Most applications are rated/ranked based upon age and rank in CAP as rank shows active participation in the program..

And a big, the biggest part of participation is progression.

lordmonar

To be clear:

Slotting uses four critera to determint your ranking for a particular NCSA.
Time in CAP
Prior Activities

Anything under Wright Brothers gives you zero points.....WB gives you 8....so if you really want to go focus on getting your WB done.

On a side note.....has not the dead line for most NCSA alrady gone by?  I thought everthing had to be in by 15 Jan.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

B.Kahuna

Quote from: lordmonar on March 08, 2010, 09:31:17 PM
On a side note.....has not the dead line for most NCSA alrady gone by?  I thought everthing had to be in by 15 Jan.

I know Hawk has different registration dates, and I'm pretty sure a few others do too.

lordmonar

Quote from: B.Kahuna on March 08, 2010, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 08, 2010, 09:31:17 PM

I know Hawk has different registration dates, and I'm pretty sure a few others do too.
I know the HMRS and NESA usually keep the regestration open much longer...but the OP was talking about Glider Academy.  Anyone hear about an extention on that one?  Slotting is supposed to be announced next Monday!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

If you don't get into the NFA, there's always Johnson.  Last time I spoke to the Commander there were still
glider spots open.

This is the URL, though is 404's right now (I'll let him know).

"That Others May Zoom"