Cadet Aviation Initiative and Existing Scholarships

Started by xray328, December 11, 2018, 11:04:17 PM

xray328

I've watched General Smith's videos on this, but there's still a few questions I have.  I was doing the "wait and see" approach but the scholarship window is open and I'm not sure what to tell the cadets.

LIFT - What specific NCSA's does this cover?

Wings - Does a cadet have to solo first? What all does it pay for?  How is this different than "Private Pilot and Beyond"?

Does the increased funding mean there will be more availability at the flight academies?

xray328

Crickets....not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAPCom

Have you considered contacting Gen. Smith and/or NHQ?

xray328

I have not...should I cc my commander on that? Lol.

Seriously though, why aren't there any details on these?

PHall

You want details, contact National. They're the one's who can give you correct answers.

xray328

Understood, but again why aren't they posting this information? Where's the transparency?

Eclipse

The activities eligible for CadetInvest funding are indicated on eservices, specifically,

CAP CADET ACADEMIC
CADET WINGS FLIGHT
CADET LIFT
CAP CADET FLIGHT
CEAP
FEIK FLIGHT (FEMALE CADETS ONLY)
DR. RON HANSON ACADEMIC
LT COL WILLIAM HANNA, JR. MEMORIAL FLIGHT
USAA ACADEMIC
PRIVATE PILOT AND BEYOND FLIGHT
USAFA PREP SCHOOL RECOMMENDATION
TAKE-OFF PROGRAM for CADETS (TOP) FLIGHT

One could guess that the additional funding will simply result in increased funding
for those who qualify (i.e. more people and higher amounts), but not much change
in the process, if any.

In the grand scheme of things ~$2.4MM isn't all that much money.  I would guess
the scratch-pad works out to be less then $30k "more" money per win, especially
factoring in CAP isn't the only recipient of the funds, and it won't be an even division
as some wings have encampments, some don't, others have Flight Academies, etc.

As indicated, NHQ is really the only other source for this info if what is on the web and
eservices isn't enough.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Just looking for the qualifications for the new ones and what each pays for.  The older ones are very specific.  I just think all this should be "out there" when we're taking about spending millions of dollars.  We shouldn't need to call NHQ.  They've gone to the trouble of making a CadetInvest webpage, why not just list everything there.

CAPCom

Quote from: xray328 on December 15, 2018, 08:39:15 PM
Understood, but again why aren't they posting this information? Where's the transparency?

Well, I just got one of these in my CAP email this morning:

"Good Morning [XXXX] CDCs,

CAP Scholarships Applications
When: Applications close on 15 January 2019
Information about the new singular CadetInvest system can be found here.
Please show your cadets how to apply through the "CAP CadetInvest" module on e-services.

Summer NCSA Applications
When: Applications close on 15 January 2019
Descriptions of National Cadet Special Activities can be found on the NCSA website.
Please let your cadets know how to apply through the "Registration and Payment" module on e-services.
Make sure your CC is approving these at the unit level. You can also request to be given the permissions to approve cadets to attend NCSAs. I know in the past, some cadets were unable to attend because their squadron never approved their application."

xray328

And that's the problem.  "Show your cadets how to apply".  Ok...what NCSA's does Lift cover? What qualifications do they need for Wings? Do they need a "flight plan" etc?

These are great for the cadets and I don't mean to complain, there's just not much info about them.