New GTL Radio kits - April 2020

Started by Eclipse, April 21, 2020, 02:43:18 PM

Eclipse

This is going to sound gift-horsey, FSM knows we need refreshed radios.  Having one functioning
battery on an HT these days is remarkable enough, but two?!

However...

What's the real-world use-case here?

Rare is the GT with enough adults, qualified supervisors-to-trainees, or the mission that would require
or even allow the team to be separated to VHF range.

Is this a case of "The ISRs were useless, these are better and we got the funding, so go with it?"

Personally I see these as great for encampments and NCSAs, but if the intent here is to TOA these to individual
GTLs, you're going to be handing more radios to one person then many Groups have total.

Encampments and airshows are going to love these kits, but GTLs?

https://www.cap.news/new-ground-team-radio-kits-are-ready/

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Is the distribution plan delineate one kit per squadron?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

arajca

Not all units will get them. Only units with ground teams. Eventually, units without ground teams MAY get them, but not until all the GT units have them. The EFJ handhelds will still around.

Additionally, these kits are NOT to be broken up for issue to individuals.

Eclipse

Quote from: LATORRECA on April 21, 2020, 02:52:49 PMIs the distribution plan delineate one kit per squadron?

"So far, the NTC staff has assembled the first 140 ground team kits. These kits are currently being sent out to the wings, with each wing getting two kits at first, followed by additional kits based on the Comm Table of Allowances (TA) and the number of ground teams in the wing."

If they follow the TOA, that's one kit per qualified GTL, presumably replacing some in the field already for the more active GTLs.

TOA would not have each unit getting a set by any stretch.

"That Others May Zoom"

LATORRECA

Quote from: Eclipse on April 21, 2020, 02:58:28 PM
Quote from: LATORRECA on April 21, 2020, 02:52:49 PMIs the distribution plan delineate one kit per squadron?

"So far, the NTC staff has assembled the first 140 ground team kits. These kits are currently being sent out to the wings, with each wing getting two kits at first, followed by additional kits based on the Comm Table of Allowances (TA) and the number of ground teams in the wing."

If they follow the TOA, that's one kit per qualified GTL, presumably replacing some in the field already for the more active GTLs.

TOA would not have each unit getting a set by any stretch.
Thank you for the clarification...question come as lots of squadrons have current radio kits and are abundant across the wings.

Just asking. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: LATORRECA on April 21, 2020, 03:02:55 PMcurrent radio kits and are abundant across the wings.

Abundant across what wings?

CAP radios, especially HTs, are many things, but "abundant" is not one of them.

A good number of the Unit CCs in my wing haves mobiles, far too many installed as either bases
or just sitting in a box somewhere, but HTs are few and far between.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

As I understand it, ISRs are NOT being pulled back and can still be used until they are no longer functioning, then they get retired and recycled as electronic waste. Same with EFJ handhelds, however, the EFJs need to have ALL encryption keys removed prior to disposing of. Expect to see some EFJs being moved around from units receiving the new kits to units not getting new kits.

Fubar

Is the plan to distribute all the comm gear still expected to take 10 years?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Fubar on April 21, 2020, 06:28:28 PMIs the plan to distribute all the comm gear still expected to take 10 years?

Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on April 21, 2020, 03:21:34 PMA good number of the Unit CCs in my wing haves mobiles, far too many installed as either bases or just sitting in a box somewhere, but HTs are few and far between.

If you can use Motorolla 1000's, I have two radios, six batteries and a charger you are welcome to.  You will need someone with the programming cable as these have the repeaters for California in them, but the six simplex frequencies are still the same.