Main Menu

National Convention Notes

Started by UWONGO2, August 13, 2019, 12:17:52 AM

Spaceman3750

I hope the "a few others" with access expands quite a bit, because the people listed are the people who don't need or want to be messing with this. I would much rather hire an MRO sitting anywhere to talk to planes and keep an eye on their logs in WMIRS.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 14, 2019, 10:30:10 PM
I hope the "a few others" with access expands quite a bit, because the people listed are the people who don't need or want to be messing with this. I would much rather hire an MRO sitting anywhere to talk to planes and keep an eye on their logs in WMIRS.

Agreed. MRO/MSA having access is IMO more important.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 14, 2019, 10:31:38 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 14, 2019, 10:30:10 PM

Agreed. MRO/MSA having access is IMO more important.

Don't get me wrong, I want access too, I just don't want to be the only one :P

Holding Pattern

I'll bet you a jelly doughnut the limitations are due to licensing more than any other reason.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 14, 2019, 10:33:35 PM
I'll bet you a jelly doughnut the limitations are due to licensing more than any other reason.

I'm sure, but if we're deploying a system where only the cool kids get access because we couldn't afford to give the people who do the comm leg work access, then what's the point?

NIN

Maybe, just maybe, you could call someone in your wing who could enlighten you as to the use cases and overall efficacy of Ready Op, instead of just making guesses about it on the Internet?

Who would that be? The DOK? DO?

I bet there is someone who can explain it.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NIN on August 14, 2019, 10:38:52 PM
Maybe, just maybe, you could call someone in your wing who could enlighten you as to the use cases and overall efficacy of Ready Op, instead of just making guesses about it on the Internet?

Because that would be a far less entertaining way to keep me occupied at dinner? [emoji14]

Also, if "dirty internet" means what it means to me in other contexts, I hope we change the default password. [emoji849][emoji16]

Holding Pattern

Quote from: NIN on August 14, 2019, 10:38:52 PM

Or we could build process documents and SOPs that clearly explain the use cases and benefits to the membership that ostensibly is supposed to use it...

NIN

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 14, 2019, 10:41:29 PM
Also, if "dirty internet" means what it means to me in other contexts, I hope we change the default password. [emoji849][emoji16]

LOL. You're killing me, but you're right.  I read that and was like "What the *heck* is that supposed to mean?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NIN on August 14, 2019, 11:20:58 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 14, 2019, 10:41:29 PM

LOL. You're killing me, but you're right.  I read that and was like "What the *heck* is that supposed to mean?"

Heh, yeah. In my field we call the "dirty side" of a device the side that is directly exposed to the internet. I'm assuming that these need to hang directly off of the internet to allow voice traffic to be pushed directly to them. There are other ways to do that too (like tunnels), but that causes additional overhead that may not be acceptable in all cases. Needing access to a "dirty" internet connection (assuming it means what I think it means) will actually complicate things a bit.

EDIT: Looks like that's not the case, so dirty internet could just be another way of saying "commercial/non-military internet". Fun talk, let's do it again sometime.

xyzzy

If the device is connected to a radio (presumably with wires) and the radio is connected to outdoor antennas, the host may insist the device connect to the facility's wifi, rather than ethernet, to protect the ethernet from lightning.

etodd

Before this thread becomes totally about Communications, I'll jump on another of the OP's points:

QuoteAbout 900 CFIs in CAP. Looking to how CAP can generate more CFIs where it needs them based on pilot need and cadet wings program needs

I really want to get CFI, and would happily train Cadets for their PPL in my area. Self-Funding enough "C" time is my issue currently. If they would auth a paid mission for CFI training to offset the plane rental, I could be there in no time.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Quote from: xyzzy on August 15, 2019, 11:34:11 AM
If the device is connected to a radio (presumably with wires) and the radio is connected to outdoor antennas, the host may insist the device connect to the facility's wifi, rather than ethernet, to protect the ethernet from lightning.

I would suppose the engineering people have thought that thru and there's likely an optical connection between the radio side and the ethernet side.

I have some gear like that here in my plant. The optical connection filters out a lot of noise.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Spam

Quote from: NIN on August 15, 2019, 08:47:27 PM
Quote from: xyzzy on August 15, 2019, 11:34:11 AM

I would suppose the engineering people have thought that thru and there's likely an optical connection between the radio side and the ethernet side.

I have some gear like that here in my plant. The optical connection filters out a lot of noise.

You ain't lived engineering purgatory until you've had to complete and document E3 testing on systems that have to survive 3MT weapon air bursts. Augh...

I take that back. Id rather do that again before sorting through cyber vulnerability tests.

xyzzy

Quote from: NIN on August 15, 2019, 08:47:27 PM

That's the sort of thing that needs to be made known to the person negotiating for space, with detailed documentation available for the negotiator to give to the host's engineers. Not the sort of thing you want to discover when you open the box.

NIN

Quote from: xyzzy on August 16, 2019, 12:53:36 PM
That's the sort of thing that needs to be made known to the person negotiating for space, with detailed documentation available for the negotiator to give to the host's engineers. Not the sort of thing you want to discover when you open the box.

I'm sure some place in the technical specifications this kind of information exists.

And I'm guessing that within the radio communications field, that information is available to the people who are doing the job.

I'm pretty sure they are not sending a box to every wing headquarters with a note on it that says "surprise!" and no documentation. "Figure it out. Good luck."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

UWONGO2

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 14, 2019, 09:09:32 PM
And I seem to recall there were limitations on what missions they are allowed to be used on, further confusing the issue.

This was not mentioned in any of the briefings I attended.