MARINE CORPS ESTABLISHES VOLUNTEER CYBER AUXILIARY

Started by Holding Pattern, May 18, 2019, 06:11:58 PM

Holding Pattern

https://www.marines.mil/News/Press-Releases/Press-Release-Display/Article/1845538/marine-corps-establishes-volunteer-cyber-auxiliary-to-increase-cyberspace-readi/

Washington, D.C. --
The Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Robert Neller, announced last month the establishment of the Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary (Cyber Aux), a volunteer organization aimed at increasing Marine Corps cyberspace readiness. The Cyber Aux is comprised of a small cadre of highly-talented cyber experts who train, educate, advise, and mentor Marines to keep pace with constantly-evolving cyber challenges.

The Cyber Aux assists in simulated environments and during periods of instruction, but are not authorized to execute hands-on cyber activities. Qualified volunteers must be US citizens with advanced cyber experience and will be screened and assessed before assignment to a specified unit or project. Cyber Aux members do not wear a uniform nor need to meet the Marine Corps physical fitness and grooming standards.

The Cyber Aux is part of the larger Marine Corps effort to better posture forces to conduct Operations in the Information Environment and is managed by the Deputy Commandant for Information, Lt. Gen. Lori E. Reynolds.

This is all the information currently available for release at this time. In the near future there will be opportunities for media to engage with Marine Corps leadership to learn more about plans for the Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary. If you are interested in participating, please email CyberAux@usmc.mil.

Highly qualified talent should email CyberAux@usmc.mil for more information or to begin volunteering with the Marines.

OldGuy

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/16/18627663/us-marine-corps-auxiliary-volunteer-cybersecurity-force?fbclid=IwAR2dA-qo5lu4fOnVySszSag-stfol1PmB46JNrNbMt9H2tV7hiha5UuoFVA

"He noted that they wouldn't have to adhere to the Marine Corps' strict standards, joking that the auxiliary would take anyone — even professionals with purple hair. Volunteers won't have to wear a uniform or adhere to the Corps' grooming or physical standards."

PhoenixRisen

BRB... joining the Marine Corps [auxiliary].

*e-mail sent*

Color Guard Rifleman

C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

This is not going to be a "thing" - first, the USMC isn't charged with Cyber defense, the USAF is, second,
it's probably some Col's capstone idea to fill empty billets with "free".

Anything of real consequence is going to go to paid GS employees or military personnel, not
guys working out of their mom's basement command center.

Ultimately this will make VSAFE look well thought out.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: PhoenixRisen on May 19, 2019, 02:32:27 AM

*e-mail sent*

You think the Air Force looks down their nose at CAP?

Hint: the Marines have definitive opinions about people who have not "marched across the parade deck" at Parris Island and MCRD San Diego.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: NIN on May 19, 2019, 04:38:52 PM

*e-mail sent*

You think the Air Force looks down their nose at CAP?

Hint: the Marines have definitive opinions about people who have not "marched across the parade deck" at Parris Island and MCRD San Diego.

Indeed, they addressed the uniform issue pretty quick in the press release.

PHall

Holding Pattern

OldGuy

Quote from: PHall on May 20, 2019, 02:17:07 AM
What source did you get this from, the Onion?
LOL, my first thought as well, but it is real.

PHall

Quote from: OldGuy on May 20, 2019, 03:53:39 AM
LOL, my first thought as well, but it is real.

They do say that truth can be stranger then fiction... :o

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 19, 2019, 04:10:48 PM
This is not going to be a "thing" - first, the USMC isn't charged with Cyber defense, the USAF is, second,
it's probably some Col's capstone idea to fill empty billets with "free".

Well, you're just wrong there, as usual. The USAF might very well have the overarching cyber defense mission for the DoD, but to conflate that mission with the idea that the other military services therefore shouldn't be doing anything at all related to cyber security is like saying the Army is in charge of ground combat so the Air Force shouldn't worry about securing the defense of its airfields. The Corps certainly has to engage in the defense of its own networked and electronic assets and it looks like the Marine Corps—which always has a strained and limited budget—is finding creative ways to expand its internal assets for that. Bravo to them — it's a force multiplier (just in the same way that CAP doesn't fill empty USAF billets, but is still a force multiplier for the Air Force).
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

No one said the USMC shouldn't secure their own networks - that literally has nothing to do with this.

If you read further into the requirements and scope, these volunteers will not have access to production
or actual systems - simulations only.  This is nothing more then the USMC trying to find some IT guys
to help setup equipment for training instead of paying contractors or finding service people to do it.

It's literally the MC version of VSAF, which was, in fact, an attempt (as defined) to fill open billets with volunteers instead of
using service members.

Less time in Fortnite and some time running CAT6 and securing access points in conference rooms for a handful of people, whatever.

I give it a year, there will be several arrests of IT people with less then honorable intentions abusing their access
and then the whole thing is gone.

"That Others May Zoom"

SemperVigHooah

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2019, 03:29:27 PM
No one said the USMC shouldn't secure their own networks - that literally has nothing to do with this.

If you read further into the requirements and scope, these volunteers will not have access to production
or actual systems - simulations only.  This is nothing more then the USMC trying to find some IT guys
to help setup equipment for training instead of paying contractors or finding service people to do it.

It's literally the MC version of VSAF, which was, in fact, an attempt (as defined) to fill open billets with volunteers instead of
using service members.

Less time in Fortnite and some time running CAT6 and securing access points in conference rooms for a handful of people, whatever.

I give it a year, there will be several arrests of IT people with less then honorable intentions abusing their access
and then the whole thing is gone.

Although I do agree with your statement, I believe that this auxiliary will attract members throughout the entire spectrum of interest scope, even on the CAP cadet side of things. It may or may not be very helpful for not only the Marine Corps, but also the CAP for recruiting.

And, once again with the awesome fortnite references. You're awesome, sir  :clap: ;D

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Eclipse on May 19, 2019, 04:10:48 PM
This is not going to be a "thing"

Cool!  When it ends up actually not being a thing and spun down, I'll personally thank the folks at HQMC/MARFORCYBER I've already been talking to for their efforts.  They were pretty [darn] quick with their responses.

Quoteit's probably some Col's capstone idea to fill empty billets with "free".

Sounds good to me.  At least I won't have to pay for the privilege of sprouting grey hairs like I do with CAP!

Quote from: NIN on May 19, 2019, 04:38:52 PM

*e-mail sent*

I'm well familiar sacred nature of earning the EGA and what that means.  This is not that.... clearly.

Non-news source "home" for the program:

https://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Agencies/Deputy-Commandant-Information/Marine-Corps-Cyber-Auxiliary

PhoenixRisen

The boilerplate response I received this morning:

QuoteThank you for your interest in the Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary (Cyber Aux), an all-volunteer organization aimed at increasing Marine Corps cyberspace readiness. 

We are currently considering applications from highly-talented cyber experts who are interested in training, educating, advising, and mentoring Marines in simulated environments and during periods of instruction. 

Interested candidates should reply to this email with their resume pasted in the email body (attachments will not be opened), along with a brief description of the top two areas of expertise in which a candidate is interested in volunteering with the Marine Corps. 

The screening and assessment process takes approximately 2-4 weeks to complete and emails will be sent periodically to keep applicants informed.

Additional information is available in the Frequently Asked Questions section below the Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary Staff signature.

Thank you again for your interest in serving our Nation and the United States Marine Corps.

Semper Fidelis,

Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary Staff
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary (Cyber Aux)?
The Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary is a small volunteer cadre of highly-talented, diverse cyber experts who share their knowledge and expertise to assist Marines in responding to constantly-evolving cyber challenges. 

What duties will an Auxiliarist perform?
Auxiliarists fulfill training, educating, advising, and mentoring roles alongside Marines in simulated environments and during periods of instruction, but are not authorized to execute hands-on cyber activities.  Volunteer opportunities may be available at specific Marine Corps units based on a unit's particular need, but at no time will an Auxiliarist be required
to perform a specific service.   

Will an Auxiliarist be required to travel? If so, will travel costs be paid?
Auxiliarists may be asked to support a specific unit based on that unit's particular need.  If travel is required, all travel costs including transportation, hotel, meals, and incidentals, are paid by the Marine Corps.

How much time is required of an Auxiliarist?
The Cyber Aux is an all-volunteer program so individual support is based on an Auxiliarist's availability and willingness to support.  Duration of projects will vary based on a particular need and the type of support requested. 

Is a security clearance required?
Auxiliarists are not required to possess a security clearance; however, an appropriate-level interview may be required for specific projects.  Security information specific to a volunteer's expertise will be discussed during the screening process.   

How long is the screening and assessment process?
The screening and assessment process takes approximately 2-4 weeks to complete. Emails will be sent periodically to keep applicants informed.

My background in security is quite broad, among my absolute *favorite* of my responsibilities is the security awareness aspect of what I do.  Routine "101-level" security briefs for monthly new employee classes; higher-level dissections of the latest vulnerabilities for our software devs; creating actual written content to disperse to our employees; and all the way up to the "fun" stuff like monthly phishing simulations... I dig it.  It looks as if this is going to be a good chunk of what they do.  I'll gladly volunteer my time as a security awareness dude and give a basic briefing every now and then to benefit those fighting on my behalf.  Like I said in my last post... at least I wouldn't have to pay for this privilege!

PhoenixRisen

Update -- Just received this in e-mail:

"Good Morning,

We have had an overwhelming response to the Marine Corps Cyber Auxiliary and appreciate your patience. At this time, our schedulers have started reaching out to highly qualified individuals to schedule initial interviews. We ask for continued patience as we continue processing the hundreds of resumes received from experts in the cyber community that want to participate in this amazing program.

Semper Fidelis,

Cyber Auxiliary Staff"

It's slow goin', but still seems to actually be 'goin.  We shall see.