Main Menu

DNS problems

Started by raivo, July 21, 2010, 03:41:05 AM

raivo

Last week, I reconfigured my PC to use Google's public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), at which point I suddenly stopped being able to access CAPtalk... I didn't put two and two together until tonight when I tried to figure out why CAPtalk had been "down" for a week, and discovered I could still access it by adding the site to my hosts file.

# nslookup www.captalk.net 8.8.8.8
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 8.8.8.8, trying next server
Server:         74.208.8.251
Address:        74.208.8.251#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.captalk.net
Address: 69.64.32.225

Any ideas why? :o

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

whatevah

nope.  maybe you should have just used your ISP servers? ;)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Eclipse

Why aren't you just leaving your DNS with the rest of DHCP and/or using the ones from your service provider?

(Beat me to it, but this should be good...)

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

Primarily because I got tired of Comcast directing me to "helpful" NXDOMAIN pages full of sponsored ads whenever I happened to mistype a URL. :(

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Eclipse

Time to get a real ISP.

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

My options here are Comcast or Verizon (not FiOS), which is comparable to choosing between drinking a glass of bleach or a glass of antifreeze.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018

Eclipse

Do you have Clear service in your area?

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

I am having issues with Google's DNS trying to get here as well.

Capt Rivera

Try OpenDNS...  you still get some adds on bad domains but it also fixes things like bla.cpm is auto changes to bla.com.

It does other nice things like keep you from getting to some "bad" websites... safe example is internetbadguys.com (demo, its safe to go)

anyway...

www.opendns.com
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Eclipse

I'm bumping this because I'm still seeing slow refreshes, hangs, and other weirdness that looks DNS related to me.

I'm not using any open DNS servers, etc.  I use Chrome, and it looks like Chrome is being less tolerant than Firefox
with whatever this is.  When Chrome hangs, Firefox will show a loading wheel but will eventually come back to life.

I can open a new tab and hit any other site fast.  I see this on both my PC and my Xoom.  I would say one constant
is the ISP, except I see it when I am away from home or on my phone's mobile AP as well.

Assuming my account isn't being throttle to try and help people catch me before I earn my 4th star, there appears to
be something amiss.

"That Others May Zoom"