Field Carry Methods for LPER

Started by Jester, October 30, 2018, 04:43:17 PM

Jester

How do you carry an LPER in the field?  I want to keep it protected and out of the way during dismounted movement.  I'm toying with the idea of using a MOLLE breaching tool pouch on the side of my pack but that doesn't seem ideal.

cnitas

We bought an orange and black plastic tool box, and some foam. 
Measured and cut the foam to fit the L-per, put it in the toolbox. 
We then used some stencils to mark the outside.

Make sure you have a thin layer of foam on the bottom of the box.

I don't have any pics, but its similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcUpWzuKQo
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Most I've seen put them in gun cases or similar.

Another option would be a PVC pipe with screw-on end caps.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I have an original case for mine. 8) That said, it is a bit bulky.

PVC pipe is heavy, and the screw in caps, being a taper fit pipe thread, can get really difficult to remove.
Whatever you build needs to protect the receiver switches (very difficult to change), and be convenient enough to remove the antennas and receiver easily.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunsotsu

You have two appendages at the end of your arms. An LPER is a metric ton lighter than an M4.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 30, 2018, 07:17:24 PM
You have two appendages at the end of your arms. An LPER is a metric ton lighter than an M4.

Most L-Pers spend most of their time rattling around a trunk, not being carried in the field.

Harbor Freight is selling nice Pelican-style knock-offs - one of those could be used for the delicate
parts with either PVC or a study cardboard mailing tube for the antenna arms.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

We keep our blue-box L-Pers in baseball gear bags.  The antennas fit in the bat slot without being dismantled, just folded. The bag part has plenty of room for the box and other equipment.  These come in different sizes so make sure you get one long enough for the antenna.  We don't take the bags into the field, but they would be easier to deal with than a hard case.

Mike