MILITARY OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEER SERVICE MEDAL

Started by mikeylikey, June 20, 2007, 06:25:13 PM

mikeylikey

Has anyone in the military received the MILITARY OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEER SERVICE MEDAL because of CAP service?
What's up monkeys?

ddelaney103

jimmydeanno

My wife received her MOVSM last October.  These are the criteria she used for it:

1) Volunteered as a soccer coach for a youth soccer camp on base. Included hours and who was affected by it.

2) Volunteered for base clean-up and "adopt a spot." Included hours and who was affected by it.

3) CAP: She was a squadron commander.  She cited how her leadership affected the squadron and the achievements that the squadron had during her 'rein.'  She got signed statements from her Group Commander attesting how beneficial her commitment and service to the program was.  She also put how many hours and how it affected base personnel.

One of her shopmates was also in the squadron, and while he had been in CAP for roughly a year, the Sq CC didn't feel as though his contribution was "of a sustained, direct and consequential nature"

Are you looking to nominate someone or yourself for it?  If so, I found this info...

"Refer to DoD 1348.33-M for specific individual eligibility requirements and recommendation procedures and format."

I think she still has the copy of the citation and origional form to apply/nominate.  I can scan it in and PM it to you if you'd like.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Dragoon

I got one for CAP work. And I've nominated two other folks to their respective services (USN and USAR) who recieved theirs.

Each service has different rules for how to submit, the the criteria is pretty much the same - you need proof of the volunteer service being "of a sustained, direct and consequential nature", as stated in previous posts.

Stonewall

Got one back in '96 and somehow, on my NG22 I have a second one.  Not sure how I got 2, or who put me in for the second one, but I have two.

I think it was only a year old in 1996.  You should have seen an Infantry company in formation wondering what in the heck medal I was getting and how I could be a Sergeant and Major at the same time.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

I got one for CAP service. A friend wrote me up for it, I wrote his (I recruited him). His writeup was better than mine, but I asked for some help from one of the NCO's in my unit (on the AF side). Only took a month from submission for him to get his, and me to get mine. I could probably put in for one on the Army Guard side, but I never thought it would really be necessary, considering it would be for the same thing, just a different time period.

RogueLeader

How would I get the form to write someone up?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

When I got mine, my CAP Squadron Commander simply wrote a letter to my Company Commander.  No form necessary, the military unit should do that unless it's another military member in the same unit putting the recipient in for the medal.  Make sense?

A civilian wouldn't write someone up for a medal, they can merely make the recommendation.  I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I think that's how it is.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

FYI...

1. Description: A bronze medal, 1 3/8 inches in diameter bearing on the obverse, five annulets interlaced enfiled by a star and environed by a wreath of laurel. On the reverse is a sprig of oak between the inscription "OUTSTANDING VOLUNTEER SERVICE" at the top and "UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES" at the bottom.

2. Ribbon: The ribbon is 1 3/8 inches wide and consists of the following stripes: 1/8 inch Bluebird 67117; 1/8 inch Goldenlight 67107; 3/16 inch Bluebird; 1/16 inch Green 67129; 5/32 inch Goldenlight; center 1/16 inch Green; 5/32 inch Goldenlight; 1/16 inch Green; 3/16 inch Bluebird; 1/8 inch Goldenlight; and 1/8 inch Bluebird.

3. Criteria: Awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who, subsequent to 31 December 1992, performed outstanding volunteer community service of a sustained, direct and consequential nature. To be eligible, an individual's service must (1) be to the civilian community, to include the military family community; (2) be significant in nature and produce tangible results; (3) reflect favorably on the Military Service and the Department of Defense; and (4) be of a sustained and direct nature. While there is no specific time threshold to qualify for the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM), approval authorities shall ensure the service to be honored merits the special recognition afforded by this medal. The MOVSM is intended to recognize exceptional community support over time and not a single act or achievement. Further, it is intended to honor direct support of community activities.

4. Components: The following are authorized components of the MOVSM:

a. Medal (regular size): MIL-DTL-3943/160. NSN 8455-01-400-3295.

b. Medal (miniature size): MIL-DTL-3943/160. Available commercially.

c. Ribbon: MIL-DTL-11589/374. Available commercially.

d. Lapel Button: MIL-DTL-11484.

5. Background: a. The Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal was established by Executive Order 12830, dated 9 January 1993. A proposed design, prepared by The Institute of Heraldry, was submitted to the Office of the Secretary of Defense on 12 April 1993. The design was approved by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Military Manpower and Personnel Policy on 15 Jun 1993.

b. The interlaced annulets emphasize the interaction of the military services with the civilian community and symbolize continuity and cooperation. The star commemorates outstanding service; the wreath of laurel denotes honor and achievement. Oak is symbolic of strength and potential. Medium blue is the color traditionally associated with the Department of Defense. Gold is for excellence and green alludes to the nurturing of life and growth.

Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JarakMaldon

I've just recently gotten one for CAP volunteer service.  It will be officially presented next week.
J.M.S. - 2d Lt, USAF / Capt, CAP / 2LT, AG, USACC
Penn State '06 - I are intelligent.

James Shaw

Received one many years ago. Have been a volunteer EMT for the past 17 years.  Got it when I was in the Army.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

shorning

I simply refuse to put myself in for one.  Plus, at this point in my career, I don't really need another ribbon if it's not going to give me any promotion points.

lordmonar

Oh come on Steve...we all know you are a bling hound!  ;D

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: lordmonar on June 21, 2007, 04:20:06 AM
Oh come on Steve...we all know you are a bling hound!  ;D

When given the choice at work, I only wear one item that isn't required.  Unless I'm doing a promotion/awards ceremony.

SARMedTech

I do not have the experience of having served in the military so this may be something I don't know about, but is it a usual practice to submit oneself for a medal or other citation? I do not disparage those who have because it certainly seems that the descriptions of service posted on this thread fit the criteria for the medal, but I cant really see myself recommending myself for a decoration. To me it just seems a little contrary to the decoration/commendation philosophy. Please feel free to explain this to me as my lack of military experience may be the culprit in my lack of understanding.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JohnKachenmeister

Normally, protocol would dictate that you would not put yourself in for an award.  But this is a "Service" award, based on an assignment and duty over a period of time.  You may be the only one in your chain of command who knows what you did.

Also, you are going to have to submit supporting letters and documents, and nobody is in a position to collect them but you.

So, this is by its nature an exception to the unwritten rule.

So, does "Reserve Components" include the Retired Reserve?

I'd put myself in for one, but I didn't have much luck on the Nebraska Admiral thing.
Another former CAP officer

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 21, 2007, 05:17:12 AMNormally, protocol would dictate that you would not put yourself in for an award. 

Normally being the operative word...It all depends on your COC. 

A good supervisor keeps tabs on things and gets them in process without prompting. 

My wifes supervisors always told her if she thinks she deserves an award to write the package herself and submit it. (Achievement Medals, MOUA, MOVSM, Good Conduct, etc.)  Personally, I don't think that is right, but what can you do...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Dragoon

If you think you deserve one for CAP service:

1. Read the appropriate Army/Navy/USMC/USAF/USCG reg to learn how to apply.

2.  Get your CAP superior to fill out the form and nominate you.

That way, not only are you not nominating yourself, but you've got a CAP officer certifying how what you did was so important.  Works great.

ddelaney103

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 21, 2007, 05:04:09 AM
I do not have the experience of having served in the military so this may be something I don't know about, but is it a usual practice to submit oneself for a medal or other citation? I do not disparage those who have because it certainly seems that the descriptions of service posted on this thread fit the criteria for the medal, but I cant really see myself recommending myself for a decoration. To me it just seems a little contrary to the decoration/commendation philosophy. Please feel free to explain this to me as my lack of military experience may be the culprit in my lack of understanding.

In the military, you're your own personnel officer as well as finance officer and a few other jobs.  In a perfect world, your supervisor and awards and dec's monitor would have it covered - though if we lived in a perfect we wouldn't need a force whose purpose is to bomb the snert out of the world's problem children.

I've been to the MPF numerous time - sometimes to say, "I think I should have this" and other times to say "I'm certain I shouldn't have that."

RiverAux

Quotebut I didn't have much luck on the Nebraska Admiral thing.
The Nebraska Navy turned you down!!!!  Jeez, I had thought they weren't even all that strict about the fog-a-mirror test...

SarDragon

I haven't heard anything on my Admiral application, either.  ??? :(
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Quote from: SarDragon on June 21, 2007, 11:53:28 PM
I haven't heard anything on my Admiral application, either.  ??? :(
They must have a quota, or something.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

Perhaps we need to commendere a new ship so there are more billets...

ncc1912

Just to point out, there is no "form" to fill out for this award.  The nomination must be drafted (like a legal document in memo form, or a bullet background paper), but it isn't that hard.  I wrote my own, had a recipient review and edit it, and submitted it in less than a day.

It has to be approved by a wing/battalion-level commander (usually an O-6). 

In the Air Force, they like a lot of details and facts (e.g. action-, result-, impact-type stuff).  The Army, Marines, and Navy review boards (if any) are probably more lenient on award recommendations and spend more time addressing the issue of, "has he/she earned it?" instead of whether the "t"s are crossed and "i"s dotted.  Also, if you are recomending it solely for your CAP service, I suggest getting three or four people willing to be your "references" (e.g. CAP squadron commander; CAP group and/or wing commander; or others who have worked with you on projects).

Good luck to those putting in for it.  Write, if you would like some pointers.
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea