Main Menu

Ribbons

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, June 19, 2007, 07:01:49 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: MIKE on June 19, 2007, 09:42:49 PM
It's pronounced ModderAnger.  :)

No doubt the smarter brother of "Ed Anger" the famous columnist for Weekly World News? 
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 19, 2007, 11:02:52 PM
Quote from: m_e_sherrod on June 19, 2007, 10:05:43 PM
Quote from: MIKE on June 19, 2007, 09:00:48 PM
Maybe you didn't want to hear it that way but... Most USAF officers don't wear ribbons on the shirts, and that's why I have taken to not wearing them on my uniform as a senior.  Likewise I would not wear them on the aviator shirt with the blue or the gray epaulets for this reason, but I can't tell you how to wear your uniform... so, wear 'em if you want.

I have no problem hearing the message.  If I wanted to go my own way, respectfully, I wouldn't have asked the question.  What I took offense to was being called silly.  I have only been in this organization for a little over a year, and while I am the DCC, our squadron runs as two separate units (officers and cadets meet on different nights).  I am looking to set an acceptable example while wearing the uniforms, and was looking for constructive insight on accepted practices; not to be called silly due to my obvious lack of experience. 

I think the silly remark wasn't used to call you 'silly,' but rather used in the context of the "Trix" commercials ("Silly Rabit, Trix are for kids"), with only sarcasm intended, no personal attack.

But here's what I do and the reasoning.

I wear my GT, Observer Wings and CP badge on my short sleeve blues shirt.  I would do the same on the new corporate and the aviator combo.  I choose to because in the normal routine of my function in the squadron, I don't want to constantly have to check my ribbon rack to see if ribbons have fallen off, explain all of them to someone and they get dirty.

To expand on the "explain them all to someone" statement.  I would prefer people listen to what I am saying and how I am doing my job rather than staring at my chest and wondering what they all are.  It also saves the 'glamour' of them for more formal occasions where pomp and circumstance is more appropriate. (Award ceremonies, banquets, conferences, etc)

On another note, I don't wear all the patches I can on my BDUs either.  I could wear the observer wings, GT, COS, Squadron, ES Patch, Wing Patch, Flag...not a spot to spare.  But instead I only wear the Flag, Wing, and Squadron Patch.  I think it looks 'cleaner.'

If you are looking to follow the tradition AF way (even though you don't wear the AF Style Uniform), traditionally officers don't wear their ribbons on the light blue shirt.  Enlisted personnel however, do.

Just my take...

So you don't like people looking at your chest?  I don't normally hear that from men.

I'll have to remember that line, though.  The next time I catch a girl staring at my ribbons.  (I hate it when they undress you with their eyes... like I'm a piece of meat.)

At the O-club at Kirtland AFB the barmaid looked at my ribbons and said:  "It looks like you have every ribbon they make!"

I winked at her and said:  "Every one except the Good Conduct, Sweetie!"

It hasn't worked yet, but I keep trying.
Another former CAP officer

Capt M. Sherrod

My apologies, if it seems I over-reacted.  Sarcasm with no emoticons or other indicator, is very difficult to "hear" when reading.  Again, thank you all for letting me know what the various ways and reasons are.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

MIKE

Go up to a woman in uniform and comment on her ribbons with a "Nice rack." and see what kind of reaction you get.  ;D
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

^  Possibly a quick kick to the groin?  Maybe a black eye as well  :-* :-*
What's up monkeys?

ZigZag911

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 19, 2007, 11:02:52 PM
If you are looking to follow the tradition AF way (even though you don't wear the AF Style Uniform), traditionally officers don't wear their ribbons on the light blue shirt.  Enlisted personnel however, do.

This particular "tradition", to the best of my knowledge, dates only to the mid 1970s.

I'm not certain why it began then, but I have heard some speculation:

1) There was (is?) an attitude in USAF that only "rated" officers really matter...so an officer either wore wings, or did not have them -- so who cared what else that officer had!

2) There was a push for a 'cleaner' looking uniform (frankly it reminds me of the Postal Service...no offense to USPS, but these are very different organizations!)

3) Vaguely related to this, there was an effort to appear less military in the post-Vietnam era.

4) Also, there was a desire to further distance the AF from the Army & its customs.

Personally, I am one of those restricted to the gray & white (have not decided about a TPU yet)....for meetings, classes and so forth I limit myself to observer wings & badge(s).

For "official" occasions (wing conference, conducting an inspection) I have a two row 'mini-rack' with just the more significant awards (Meritorious, commander comm, command service, Garber and so forth)

For "formal" occasions (change of command,  a cadet milestone award ceremony, and so on) all the whistles and bells come out for the event...I've even been known to wear a tie!

Camas

Quote from: m_e_sherrod on June 19, 2007, 11:28:44 PMAgain, thank you all for letting me know what the various ways and reasons are.
Now that you've got some opinions (and we've beat this "ribbon thing" to death elsewhere), do what you're comfortable with.  You're going to be a recipient of that Loening Award soon; wear that puppy and wear it with pride.  You earned it!

ColonelJack

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 20, 2007, 04:25:12 AM
This particular "tradition", to the best of my knowledge, dates only to the mid 1970s.

I'm not certain why it began then, but I have heard some speculation:

1) There was (is?) an attitude in USAF that only "rated" officers really matter...so an officer either wore wings, or did not have them -- so who cared what else that officer had!

2) There was a push for a 'cleaner' looking uniform (frankly it reminds me of the Postal Service...no offense to USPS, but these are very different organizations!)

3) Vaguely related to this, there was an effort to appear less military in the post-Vietnam era.

4) Also, there was a desire to further distance the AF from the Army & its customs.

There was also this to consider:  in the 1970s, both the Army and the Air Force moved to a much lighter-weight uniform shirt than the heavier khaki.  In the beginning, the material of the shirt wouldn't hold the weight of the ribbons -- hence, the AF's experiment with "miniature" ribbons, which didn't last long.  A rack of miniature ribbons looked a lot like Colonel Klink's decorations, if you ask me.  But they were developed because the lighter material of the shirt simply didn't hold ribbons well.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Hawk200

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 20, 2007, 01:32:05 PM
-- hence, the AF's experiment with "miniature" ribbons, which didn't last long. 

Actually, they are still authorized. Try to find some though. I've been looking for some for years.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 20, 2007, 06:03:13 PM

Actually, they are still authorized. Try to find some though. I've been looking for some for years.

HERE:  http://www.militaryribbons.org/AirForce.html

You can buy from there as well!
What's up monkeys?

ColonelJack

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 20, 2007, 06:29:21 PM
[HERE:  http://www.militaryribbons.org/AirForce.html

Those are really cute ... but not what I was referring to as "miniature ribbons."  They're the same ribbon as used in miniature medals -- half the width of a full-size ribbon, so two fit on a regular one-ribbon holder.  Thus you could have six across on a three-ribbon holder.

But those are pretty neat!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 20, 2007, 06:29:21 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 20, 2007, 06:03:13 PM

HERE:  http://www.militaryribbons.org/AirForce.html

Those aren't legitimate miniature ribbons. To be a ribbon, it has to made of cloth. Those are enamel devices that are the same size as ribbons. Those wouldn't be acceptable for uniform wear.

Actually, here are some that are ribbons, although they don't sell them as individual ribbons, only a premade "rack": http://www.medalsofamerica.com/RibbonTypeMini.aspx

They meet the criteria for miniature ribbons mentioned in AFI 36-2903. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make them in rows of six, which I believe the AFI mandates that miniature ribbons go six to a row (max) with remaining centered above on the rack.

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 20, 2007, 07:20:23 PM
Those aren't legitimate miniature ribbons. To be a ribbon, it has to made of cloth. Those are enamel devices that are the same size as ribbons. Those wouldn't be acceptable for uniform wear.

Actually, they look the same size as the lapel sized miniatures, like they make for military medals to wear on the lapels of civilian clothing.  No, they aren't authorized for uniform wear, EXCEPT if you wore them as the lapel pin on the blazer combo.  And since he makes them as a single unit, your entire rack can be a single lapel pin (although it could get rather large for some folks).

I wonder if he's ever considered doing CAP ribbons the same way.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ZigZag911

Colonel Jack, I did not realize that the lack of fabric strength had been a consideration initially, thanks for the info!

Major Carrales

I should know better but... :o

I used to wear my ribbons at all times, and mostly do for PAO work.  However, I have  a personal policy of wearing them on my shirts when I deal with cadets...mostly due to the fact that they have to wear them.

I don't think it is a blasphmey to wear them on the shirts, they were earned.  But, we are given the option...do it as you will.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 22, 2007, 07:22:14 PM
I should know better but... :o

I used to wear my ribbons at all times, and mostly do for PAO work.  However, I have  a personal policy of wearing them on my shirts when I deal with cadets...mostly due to the fact that they have to wear them.

I don't think it is a blasphmey to wear them on the shirts, they were earned.  But, we are give the option...do it as you will.
Roger
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ZigZag911

To clarify, my reference to a 'mini-rack' meant less than my full complement of ribbons -- I am not using the 'miniatures' mentioned (do they even exist for CAP ribbons?)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 23, 2007, 02:37:02 AM
To clarify, my reference to a 'mini-rack' meant less than my full complement of ribbons -- I am not using the 'miniatures' mentioned (do they even exist for CAP ribbons?)

Nix, nay, nope.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SARMedTech

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 19, 2007, 09:24:18 PM
I agree with the ModeRanger.

I follow the Air Force folkway of wearing only your qualification badges on the shirt.  Yes, the reg both in CAP and the AF allows wear of ribbons on shirts, but even though allowed, certain things are not usually done.

There are a couple of exceptions I make to this rule:

1.  Kinda-ceremonial, special events at which the wear of the service jacket is proscribed, I wear the ribbons (and my tie) to sort of recognize that this event is special.

2.  Since I have active duty and combat ribbons, when I think it is helpful to silently, and discretely, announce the fact that I have service other than CAP volunteer time.   

1. When would it be helpful?
2. I dont think ribbons and discrete or silent should be used in the same sentence. There meant as a show off item. If they werent, everyone would just get a certificate and there wouldnt be any ribbons. I know Im going to hear about the "secret code of the ribbons"
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

The regs for the corporate blue trousers/white shirt say that a member must meet grooming standards, but saying nothing about weight standards. How do we know if we are supposed to wear the blue trousers and epi-sleeves or grey trousers and grey sleeves? Also if weight is a factor in addition to grooming (weight not mentioned), do a google image search for air force service uniform and I think you will agree that the male SM definately doesnt meet weight standards (sorry if thats anyone from here in that photo). Also, is a cover other than the ball cap authorized with the blue/white corporate?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."