Retired Members & Uniforms

Started by MIKE, June 11, 2007, 12:30:07 PM

MIKE

What CAPR 39-2 says:

Quote from: CAPR 39-23-1. c. Retired Member. A member in good standing with a minimum of 20 years service as a senior member, not necessarily continuous, is eligible to retire from Civil Air Patrol. (NOTE: Members having 10 years service as of 1 December 1994 may retire with 12 years service.) Cadet service does not count toward the 20-year requirement; however, this service may be recognized on the retirement certificate if the dates of cadet membership are included in the remarks section of the CAPF 2a. Applications for retirement will not be considered if demotion or membership termination action is pending. Once retired, members will not actively participate. Retired individuals may attend wing or region conferences and National Board meetings when the general membership is allowed to attend, i.e., the summer National Board meeting, or when invited by the host commander. Attendance at other meetings, conferences, training sessions, or non-social activities conducted by CAP is not allowed unless the retiree is invited by the wing or region commander of the unit hosting the event. Attendance at social functions is authorized, but requires a formal or specific invitation and prior approval of the commander hosting the event. Retired individuals will wear the current CAP blazer uniform (with the last grade earned as an active member) or appropriate civilian attire when attending social functions as a guest. Retired individuals will not be listed on Military Support Authorizations. Retired members may reapply for active membership with the approval of the National Commander. While retired, any individual who brings discredit to CAP may be barred from any event by the National Commander.

Emphasis added.

So what does this mean exactly?  Are retired members restricted to only the blazer uniform or appropriate civilian attire?  Or can they wear the appropriate UoD when attending other authorized functions?
Mike Johnston

ColonelJack

That's how I read it, Mike.  (Been retired since '96.)  I can't wear UoD at social functions, but if I'm attending some official function as a retired member, I can wear UoD.  (This, like many other regs, is not written in a clear, concise manner.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

mikeylikey

I read it to mean......ONLY the Blazer when invited as a "retired member", or civilian clothes when invited as "ordinary person off the street".  NO other uniform combos allowed!  But then again......I had to read it twice, because whoever wrote it was most likely 10 years old.  Every manual needs rewritten!
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

I read this as retired members being restricted to the blazer.

Since retired members can ONLY participate in social functions, and the blazer is the uniformed prescribed for that, ergo...

With that said, common sense should prevail, the occasional 80 year old senior attending the Christmas party in Maroon epaulets isn't going to kill anyone any more than an 80-year old WWII vet wearing his old uniform in a parade.

Means way more to them than anyone else, and is it worth addressing?

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

So what is the benefit of actually "retiring" from CAP, then still being involved?  Why not just stay in and be less active?

davedove

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 11, 2007, 07:24:37 PM
So what is the benefit of actually "retiring" from CAP, then still being involved?  Why not just stay in and be less active?

When you retire, you don't have to pay dues.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ColonelJack

Quote from: davedove on June 11, 2007, 07:28:18 PM
When you retire, you don't have to pay dues.

That was my primary motivation.  That, and curing CAP burnout.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RiverAux

Do retired members keep getting the magazine for free then?