Main Menu

Uniform bling

Started by RiverAux, June 08, 2007, 03:23:54 AM

jimmydeanno

The unfortunate thing is that some of the people who make decisions about awards reject them due to jealousy (yes, I've seen it).  Sometimes people are in positions for their own personal gain and those around them getting recognized make them feel 'threatened.'  Just a sign of poor leadership.

It's sad as you look across the organization how differently awards and decorations are awarded.  There are some units (referring to all organizational units in CAP, wing, region, squadron, etc) where standard expected performance gets the award for whatever level they're at.  There are others where people go above and beyond ALL the time and their supervisor/commander is too lazy to write up a package for them.

You also see awards not being awarded properly.  For instance, cadets on drill teams or color guards receiving exceptional service medals for winning a Region Drill Competition, while the squadron commander with 10 years in the program who has commanded encampment six times and has the best squadron in the Wing doesn't even receive a Commander's Commendation. (Yes, I've seen that too)

Why don't more CAP members get awarded Commander's Commendations?  Many members fill multiple roles in the squadron.  Is that the expectation?  Is holding multiple positions and performing in them well considered a 'standard' for people.

It also drives me crazy when a commander leaves and awards all his staff whatever award for the level they're at regardless of performance or citation of why exactly they are being awarded it other than, "you were my assistant DDR officer during my term."

I don't know *rant rant*
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ColonelJack

I received seven Commander's Commendations and one Meritorious Service Award during my time.  The first CommComm was for my service as Administrative Officer at the 1982 GAWG Encampment at Ft. Benning.  After that, I was awarded the other six CommComms and the MSA for my service as a squadron commander. 

While review boards should be thorough in nature, they should judge award requests only on the basis of merit -- did the action meet the established criteria?  If so, award it.  If not, don't.  That should clear up the confusion -- and prevent SMVs for directing traffic around accident scenes.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RogueLeader

What happens when the review board doesn't?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 11, 2007, 06:49:03 PM
Wow!  Sounds like a few of those people need to be put back in for the award.

That only works when the resubmission is within the time limits - usually two years from the date of the event.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

When I read things like these rejected awards for valor, it makes me wonder if CAP doesn't need some sort of 'omsbudspersons' with the responsibility for looking into such matters and fixing them.

Could this be a role for the National Chief Master Sergeant and his colleagues?

ZigZag911

Excuse me, it's late, I meant to say National Command CMS!

Flying Pig

Thats a load of crapolla! The time limit needs to be done away with.

Some people...me for instance....had a Sq Comm that just never got around to submitting the papers.  Oh well...this was already discussed in a prior thread.

Sgt. Savage

Seems to me that mimicking the military way of tracking PD course would be a better way to go. One ribbon, bronze numeral depicting level of achievement. It's simple and effective. Other than that, it might be good to tighten up the requirements for some awards and improve the recognition factor to ensure that awards are being given when earned.

It's also a good idea to ensure all awards are presented in front of the unit, to add to the recognition factor.

ZigZag911

One advantage to keeping the present system is that the milestone senior awards honor significant figures in US aerospace history, and in some cases early CAP leaders.

Our system is not only CAP PME....it is a means also of educating our members on who we are an where we came from....the Real Military has a deeper sense of its own rich history and heritage, and so does not need the same tools we use....in part because it has other tools and traditions to reinforce this knowledge, that are lacking to CAP....for instance, unit colors simply don't begin to have the significance in a CAP unit -- particularly above squadron level -- that they do in the regular services.

ColonelJack

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 11, 2007, 07:16:32 PM
The unfortunate thing is that some of the people who make decisions about awards reject them due to jealousy (yes, I've seen it).  Sometimes people are in positions for their own personal gain and those around them getting recognized make them feel 'threatened.'  Just a sign of poor leadership.

You're right, that plays a big deal in the whole thing.  As a squadron CC, I approved several Meritorious Service Awards for outstanding performance -- long before I was ever nominated for one for having such good work done in my unit.  I had no problem with my people having more bling than I did.  Would that more people in such positions have the same attitude!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia