TPU or Blazer Combo?

Started by Hawk200, June 05, 2007, 04:44:49 PM

Which corporate uniform would you choose to wear?

I'd wear Corporate Service Dress
22 (52.4%)
Blazer combo is what I'd choose
20 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

DrDave

Blazer combo.  Already have a blazer that works fine with magnetic pocket crest/rank thingy -- didn't have to shell out another $160-$200+ for another coat.

I decided if I'm going to wear a "military" style uniform, I'm wearing the AF service dress.  Not an imitation.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

MIKE

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 06, 2007, 09:44:49 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 06, 2007, 07:58:45 PM
Ahhh, well you see, therein lies the problem.  A lack of planning.

Since FOs can wear the TPU and the epaulet sleeves are supposed to be blue...

Ah, I see your reasoning. And I wonder how National addressed this. I don't think Vanguard makes blue FO epaulets right now at all. Looks like a lack of planning on someone's part.

Nobody gives a [mess] about flight officers.  >:D  Are they gonna bring back the metal flight officer grade for the TPU and windbreaker?  They never had plastic encased grade for the bags either, and they only recently came out with shoulder boards for mess dress.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on June 08, 2007, 01:33:23 PM
Nobody gives a [mess] about flight officers.  >:D  Are they gonna bring back the metal flight officer grade for the TPU and windbreaker?  They never had plastic encased grade for the bags either, and they only recently came out with shoulder boards for mess dress.

Ironic, considering Vanguard likes to make money. And FO's promote faster than other officers, so they would be purchasing more often.

Then again, a FO-1 bar would look virtually identical to a CW-5 bar. Which could create a few problems of it's own.

davedove

Quote from: DrDave on June 08, 2007, 12:54:35 PM
Already have a blazer that works fine with magnetic pocket crest/rank thingy

Which makes it very practical.  To go from completely civilian to a CAP uniform, all you have to do is put on the "thingy".
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Lancer

Quote from: davedove on June 08, 2007, 04:57:48 PM
Which makes it very practical.  To go from completely civilian to a CAP uniform, all you have to do is put on the "thingy".

Practical is one thing, but in my mind I can't consider the 'blazer combo' a 'uniform' because of the, as you put it, 'completely civilian' aspect.

I like the way the blazer combo looks, but I don't think it's something I would consider for wear to a regular squadron/group/wing meeting.

The usefulness of the blazer combo for me is circumstances where a uniform might be considered 'a bit much'. Example's of this would be meeting with a local school board or official to talk about CAP, or maybe a function at a United Way or Rotary Club meeting/dinner where your unit is the receipt of some award or donation.

Of course if I was attending a similar event at a VFW or American Legion hall, I'd opt for he AF Blues/Corporate Alternative and maybe even wear it on a 'second' visit to a school board meeting.

Just my two cents and now I am broke...

SarDragon

Well, unfortunately, that's all that us fuzzy guys have in the way of a coat and tie style uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

Quote from: DrDave on June 08, 2007, 12:54:35 PM
Blazer combo.  Already have a blazer that works fine with magnetic pocket crest/rank thingy -- didn't have to shell out another $160-$200+ for another coat.

I decided if I'm going to wear a "military" style uniform, I'm wearing the AF service dress.  Not an imitation.

Dr. Dave

My sentiments exactly.  I will not wear the TPU under any condition -- even in the event I may not meet weight/height standards.  If I put on the extra poundage I will then wear the white aviator/grey slacks.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Hawk200

I find it interesting that after a little time, the votes indicate almost even as to what people choose. Kinda leaves me wondering. How do we attempt a uniformity within CAP if there are three uniforms, and the membership is almost uniformly divided in which one they'd choose?

DrDave

I feel it points out the uselessness of this thread (not the poll).

And that the desire for "uniformity" of dress is a non-issue in CAP, despite the frequent threads on CAPtalk that attempt to suggest otherwise.

Bottomline: hard to enforce uniformity in an all-volunteer organization.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Hawk200

Quote from: DrDave on June 11, 2007, 11:44:45 AM
I feel it points out the uselessness of this thread (not the poll).

And that the desire for "uniformity" of dress is a non-issue in CAP, despite the frequent threads on CAPtalk that attempt to suggest otherwise.

Bottomline: hard to enforce uniformity in an all-volunteer organization.

Dr. Dave

The thread wasn't useless when it was on track. When it strayed was when the original purpose was lost.

It was mostly personal curiousity, but I figured there were others that probably had the same questions.

Anyway, are there any more inputs on choices and reasoning? (Yeah, a cheap attempt to get back on track)

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on June 08, 2007, 01:33:23 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 06, 2007, 09:44:49 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 06, 2007, 07:58:45 PM
Ahhh, well you see, therein lies the problem.  A lack of planning.

Since FOs can wear the TPU and the epaulet sleeves are supposed to be blue...

Ah, I see your reasoning. And I wonder how National addressed this. I don't think Vanguard makes blue FO epaulets right now at all. Looks like a lack of planning on someone's part.

Vanguard makes blue flight officer epaulets to match the USAF ones for the other CAP senior members:  Evidence.

As for metal insignia... well, probably not thought of.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP