CAP at AF exchanges

Started by SarDragon, May 29, 2007, 05:49:35 AM

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2007, 03:02:10 PM
Sorry - "on line" is probably a stretch - I meant via phone...

Gotcha.....just curious if the started to allow CAP on line.  WHICH THEY SHOULD.  It would not be hard to setup a system that allows CAP members access only to the military clothing section on line!

You have to be a military member or dependant to use AAFES.COM because the database they use to verify your eligibility to shop there is the DEERS database.
This is the same database they use to issue military and dependant ID cards.
It would take some major reworking of the system to link it with e-services. Not to mention who would pay for it.

Not necessarily, set it up so that the CAP member must call Dallas and fax AAFES the ID Card, just like now, and give them access only to the military clothing section.  A IT geek could probably type up the necessary code in under an hour!

Great, so whip out your checkbook because AAFES sure ain't going to pay for it!

mikeylikey

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 05:07:00 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2007, 03:02:10 PM
Sorry - "on line" is probably a stretch - I meant via phone...

Gotcha.....just curious if the started to allow CAP on line.  WHICH THEY SHOULD.  It would not be hard to setup a system that allows CAP members access only to the military clothing section on line!

You have to be a military member or dependant to use AAFES.COM because the database they use to verify your eligibility to shop there is the DEERS database.
This is the same database they use to issue military and dependant ID cards.
It would take some major reworking of the system to link it with e-services. Not to mention who would pay for it.

Not necessarily, set it up so that the CAP member must call Dallas and fax AAFES the ID Card, just like now, and give them access only to the military clothing section.  A IT geek could probably type up the necessary code in under an hour!

Great, so whip out your checkbook because AAFES sure ain't going to pay for it!

True that!  Not to get too far off topic, while we are speaking of exchanges.....CAP members should at least have use of MWR activities.  Since our purchases indirectly fund MWR thorugh AAFES.  I am sure most Post and or Base Commanders with an active CAP SQD allow members to use those facilites already.  Are there any members out there who are not allowed to use say the Gyms or pools or bowling alleys? 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 05:14:54 PMCAP members should at least have use of MWR activities.  Since our purchases indirectly fund MWR through AAFES.  I am sure most Post and or Base Commanders with an active CAP SQD allow members to use those facilities already.  Are there any members out there who are not allowed to use say the Gyms or pools or bowling alleys? 

Yes, on a space-available basis, and with State-Director's approval, we can generally get access to anything available...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

FWIW, commissaries and exchanges do not come under the same umbrella. Exchanges are non-appropriated fund (NAF) activities that are part of the various exchange services.

Commissaries, OTOH, are appropriated funds AF) activities that are all under the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) umbrella. Due to that status, it is unlikely that CAP will ever get privileges there.

As for saving money, I have been shopping "on base" most of my life, and have found that I can save money on a long term basis. Every couple of years, I take a list of what we buy in a 4 month period and compare between the commissary and local grocery stores. I compare brand for brand, in identical quantities, pricing at a single grocery store, and the commissary always comes out cheaper.

Some things may be on sale, and certainly generic brands are cheaper, but that doesn't make a totally fair comparison, nor does store hopping. The time and gas used store hopping negates any savings involved.

As for gasoline, here in CA, the base beats everyone else by three or four cents a gallon, but we only get gas there when we are in the area. The price difference and distance from home don't make shopping there all the time practical.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Becks

For me, at Charleston AFB, the MCSS knows who we are and are great to deal with.  The BX however most of the time will not sell to a CAP member.
Now however when I was at Ft Jackson I had Dept of the AF orders and they worked to let me buy anything, and even use the O-Club.   McCrady ARNG center doesnt even care, they assume that if youre there in uniform youre fine in their books.

BBATW

PHall

Okay guys, speaking as somebody who gave 31 years to the military.

Just why should you as a CAP member be allowed to use our MWR facilities?
You're not in the military. You want military benefits? Then join the military.

edit: fixed grammar error

Eclipse

Here we go - another "my service is better than your service".

How about "we're all in this together, its taxpayer money, and we're using this stuff for CAP activities, etc."

"That Others May Zoom"

Sgt. Savage

I believe that when I was AD, I got paid to do my job, fed three times a day, I had a bed to sleep in (sometimes) and free clothes. For what CAP members do on their own dime, they should at least be able to use SOME of the facilities.

jimmydeanno

My old squadron had no problem using facilities on base as long as we paid the fees like everyone else. 

If the squadron needed/wanted to use the youth center gymnasium for something - fine...go ahead. 

If we wanted to go bowling, great it's "x" amount per game per person, don't forget to rent shoes.

We hosted the Group Cadet Competition in the base gym (not the youth center one), and no one took issue or said we weren't allowed to use it.  We even used the indoor track to run PT on a few times in the winter.

The uniform store was more than accomodating, every thursday they'd get 30 or so members cruisin on over for something...alterations, still no issue.  The BX would allow us to buy things like camel backs, camping equipment, etc. They did limit it to things we could obviously use in CAP, no appliances, no alcohol, etc.

We would even get the commissary to donate items to us, and if they couldn't donate then they'd let us purchase from them.  It wasn't really a big deal.  Heck, we'd even fill up the CAP van on base...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eagle400

Quote from: PHallOkay guys, speaking as somebody gave 31 years to the military.

Something I'd like to say: CAP is a frontrunner in allowing people with diabilities/disqualifying medical conditions to serve their country in a semi-military capacity.  For a number of CAP members, using the MWR facilities at military bases is the closest they'll ever get to experiencing what it's like to enjoy some of the benefits of military service. 
So the argument "if you want military benefits, join the military" does not work for everyone. 

And considering the amount CAP members give to their country as complete and total volunteers, why shouldn't they enjoy some (note: some) of the perks of military service?  Especially considering CAP members are not covered by USERRA for time taken off work to serve their country.     

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 07:34:21 PM
Okay guys, speaking as somebody gave 31 years to the military.

31 years? I'm assuming retired. So here's a question for ya: Why should you use the the MWR facilities now? You're not doing anything to support the military mission now.

Little different when you flip that coin, isn't it?  Here's a simple answer: The more people that use those facilities, the better the facilities get or remain. And just about everybody pays something to use MWR anyway. Why turn away another person willing to pay?

BillB

Obviously PHall has never attended a CAP activity on a military base. During an activity such as a week long encampment there is a need by CAP to visit the BX for uniforms, and with the Base Commanders approval, the Commissary for a few items like a tin of coffee, suger etc. Driving a CAP van for a week around base in support of the encampment has always allowed the purchase of gas, besides which the vans are DoD funded to start with.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Hawk200

Quote from: BillB on May 29, 2007, 08:33:23 PM
Obviously PHall has never attended a CAP activity on a military base. During an activity such as a week long encampment there is a need by CAP to visit the BX for uniforms, and with the Base Commanders approval, the Commissary for a few items like a tin of coffee, suger etc. Driving a CAP van for a week around base in support of the encampment has always allowed the purchase of gas, besides which the vans are DoD funded to start with.

That's what it sounds like to me. Most of the time, it's handy to have someone military with the encampment, either as a "dual enrolled" (meaning both military and CAP) individual or have the installations CAP liaison with you whenever possible. Most of the liaisons enjoy spending the encampment with CAP. They can usually take a permissive TDY and get away from their desk.

mikeylikey

Driving a CAP van for a week around base in support of the encampment has always allowed the purchase of gas, besides which the vans are DOD funded to start with.

Lets also not forget that CAP came from the military, has always supported the military, and receives military money.  I am a little put off by PHALL's comments about "if you want the benefits, join the military".  I understand the sacrifices military members make, as I have made many.  I also understand the sacrifices CAP members have made and continue to make.  Lets not forget, military members are PAID for serving their country, CAP members are not.  How is a CAP members service to their community any different than that of a National Guardsman who served for twenty years and not once deployed other than to Annual Training.  We all should remember the time when people joined the National Guard JUST FOR THE BENEFITS (COLLEGE, AAFES etc).  Big wakeup call to most of them after 9/11!

If PHALL is going to take that stance on benefits for CAP members, then I say......I am AD, I don't think retirees of any rank should be allowed on post, as they suck up too many of my benefits.  Retirees get to shop early at the Commissary, they get a senior citizen discount (if applicable) at the AAFES Burger King, and they are allways in the Medical Treatment Facility taking up all the seats!  Enough!  No more Retiree benefits.  You served your Country, great, now go retire somewhere warm and away from me.

I don't believe any of what I just typed above!
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 08:49:36 PM

As long as you acknowledge it being tongue-in-cheek or a heavy dose of sarcasm, we'll forgive ya!

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 07:34:21 PM
Okay guys, speaking as somebody gave 31 years to the military.

Because at most posts and bases, the MWR facilities will be lost if not used.  Patrick AFB already lost its aero club.
Another former CAP officer

PHall

I wouldn't bet on that. Been to many, many CAP activities on military bases, both active and reserve.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 29, 2007, 08:46:31 PM

That's what it sounds like to me. Most of the time, it's handy to have someone military with the encampment, either as a "dual enrolled" (meaning both military and CAP) individual or have the installations CAP liaison with you whenever possible. Most of the liaisons enjoy spending the encampment with CAP. They can usually take a permissive TDY and get away from their desk.

I wouldn't make guesses about people you know nothing about.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 11:52:19 PM

I wouldn't bet on that. Been to many, many CAP activities on military bases, both active and reserve.

Ok. So it just boils down to you being a military snob. Gotcha. That will make things easier.

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 08:49:36 PM
Driving a CAP van for a week around base in support of the encampment has always allowed the purchase of gas, besides which the vans are DOD funded to start with.

Lets also not forget that CAP came from the military, has always supported the military, and receives military money.  I am a little put off by PHALL's comments about "if you want the benefits, join the military".  I understand the sacrifices military members make, as I have made many.  I also understand the sacrifices CAP members have made and continue to make.  Lets not forget, military members are PAID for serving their country, CAP members are not.  How is a CAP members service to their community any different than that of a National Guardsman who served for twenty years and not once deployed other than to Annual Training.  We all should remember the time when people joined the National Guard JUST FOR THE BENEFITS (COLLEGE, AAFES etc).  Big wakeup call to most of them after 9/11!

If PHALL is going to take that stance on benefits for CAP members, then I say......I am AD, I don't think retirees of any rank should be allowed on post, as they suck up too many of my benefits.  Retirees get to shop early at the Commissary, they get a senior citizen discount (if applicable) at the AAFES Burger King, and they are allways in the Medical Treatment Facility taking up all the seats!  Enough!  No more Retiree benefits.  You served your Country, great, now go retire somewhere warm and away from me.

Works for me. If you ban the retirees from the base then AAFES will go broke and DeCA (commissary) will be right behind them.
I'm an Air Force Reserve retiree, so you won't see me in the Medical Treatment Facility, not authorized.
About the only MWR activity I use on base is the barber shop at the Club.
And unlike you Active Duty guys, I don't start getting my retirement checks until my 60th birthday.
You get yours the next month.