Another possibly dumb question

Started by Eeyore, May 29, 2007, 02:30:46 AM

Eeyore

I am a SMWOG and I have seen other SMWOG wearing the grey epaulet loops that are blank as well as SMWOG not wearing any epaulet loops. I looked through CAPM 39-1 and am even more confused.

Do SMWOG wear blank grey epaulet loops or do they not wear them at all? If they do wear them where can I find them?

Vanguard doesn't seem to have them on their site, if they do, that site is such a cluster that it is nearly impossible to find them.

MIKE

They were for SM NCOs, not SMs without grade.
Mike Johnston

Eeyore

Thanks for the quick response, I was just confused because our Region PAO wears them and she is a SMWOG.

I have no clue how someone that has no CAP experience becomes the Region PAO. Must be one of those CAP political decisions.

afgeo4

I'm not sure how a region HQ allows one of their staffers (even a SMWOG) to wear the uniform improperly. Especially someone who's supposed to represent us to the public.    That's very, VERY dissapointing and you should correct her when/if you have the chance to.

The proper wear is no epaulets. Blank epaulets are for NCOs.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

In the past Region PAOs were non-entities since Wing and even squadron PAOs are authorized to deal with NHQ PA directly.  However, there is more and more of a move to make Regions "operational" units directing multi-Wing missions and a non-CAP experienced PAO in the Region slot could be a bad thing.

Eeyore

Apparently the experience of being a free lance reporter was enough.

CadetProgramGuy

Naaahhhh.  This is the dumb question.....SMWOG?

mikeylikey

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 29, 2007, 02:45:26 AM

Senior Member With Out Grade
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 02:47:10 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 29, 2007, 02:45:26 AM

Senior Member With Out Grade

And the resounding sound of hand smacking the forehead......

THX

Pylon

Quote from: edmo1 on May 29, 2007, 02:30:46 AM
I am a SMWOG and I have seen other SMWOG wearing the grey epaulet loops that are blank as well as SMWOG not wearing any epaulet loops. I looked through CAPM 39-1 and am even more confused.

Do SMWOG wear blank grey epaulet loops or do they not wear them at all? If they do wear them where can I find them?

Vanguard doesn't seem to have them on their site, if they do, that site is such a cluster that it is nearly impossible to find them.

Welcome to CAP (or perhaps just welcome to senior membership).  As was mentioned above, CAPM 39-1 prescribes CAP cutouts on the collar (metal on Blues, sewn-on blue embroidered ones for BDUs) for SMWOG. 

Unfortunately, our uniform manual is very often obtuse or confusing on issues.  One day (we hope) it will be much more clear.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eeyore

That's what I had thought. I was a cadet back in '97 and went inactive for a number of years. I thought it would be fun to get back into it now that I am an adult and may have something more to offer to a program that I loved as a kid.

I was told that I was wrong at an SLS. Turns out that I was being corrected by someone that was in the wrong themselves.

ELTHunter

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2007, 02:38:08 AM
there is more and more of a move to make Regions "operational" units directing multi-Wing missions and a non-CAP experienced PAO in the Region slot could be a bad thing.

Oh God, tell me that's not so.  Currently the best thing about a Region command is they don't do anything operationally and pretty much keep out of things, thereby not screwing anything up too much.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Your problem is that someone set a bad example for you, but this board is helpful.  Use it lots.

SAR-EMT1

I want to know how anyone without even Lvl One and 2nd Lt. bars can even be considered, much less approved for a position such as PAO - Especially a REGION PAO !
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eeyore

Oh the politics of CAP. Maybe SWR was just really desperate for someone.

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 29, 2007, 04:21:19 AM
I want to know how anyone without even Lvl One and 2nd Lt. bars can even be considered, much less approved for a position such as PAO - Especially a REGION PAO !

And how did you determine that the SMWOG had not completed Level I?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: SarDragon on May 29, 2007, 05:53:20 AM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 29, 2007, 04:21:19 AM

And how did you determine that the SMWOG had not completed Level I?

Becuase one attains 2nd Lt upon completion of Level One?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ColonelJack

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 30, 2007, 09:58:40 AM
[Becuase one attains 2nd Lt upon completion of Level One?

Actually, one is eligible for 2nd Lt upon completion of Level I.  It's not automatic, as I recall.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

DeputyDog

Quote from: ColonelJack on May 30, 2007, 10:02:12 AM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 30, 2007, 09:58:40 AM
[Becuase one attains 2nd Lt upon completion of Level One?

Actually, one is eligible for 2nd Lt upon completion of Level I.  It's not automatic, as I recall.

Jack

There is also the issue of the six month "time-in-grade" requirement for second lieutenant. One is eligible after completing six months TIG as a SMWOG (or as a CAP NCO) and completing Level I.

Most new senior members (*officers) in my group complete Level I within a few weeks of joining. Then they wait for five and a half months before becoming eligible for second lieutenant.

acarlson

Quote from: RiverAux on May 29, 2007, 02:38:08 AM
In the past Region PAOs were non-entities since Wing and even squadron PAOs are authorized to deal with NHQ PA directly.  However, there is more and more of a move to make Regions "operational" units directing multi-Wing missions and a non-CAP experienced PAO in the Region slot could be a bad thing.

Please provide your definition of "non-entities"

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA