Main Menu

OLD Uniforms

Started by SAR-EMT1, May 26, 2007, 06:55:32 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 31, 2007, 06:40:01 PM
Would you prefer one of the older styles in place of the one we have today?

Presuming that your Q was addressed to me, I think today's membership card is good. It's sturdy, has a color set that makes it easy to copy when necessary to submit with paperwork, and has the necessary personal info. So, no, I wouldn't prefer an older style.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 26, 2007, 11:27:25 AM
They were way before my time, but I'd like to see the khaki summer uniform come back as a USAF uniform.  However, since the USAF doesn't plan to go back to it, that's only wishfull thinking.

Have you ever had to starch those suckers and iron in military creases?  When you broke starch taking your first step your pants wrinkled and looked terrible.  I can tell you stories about being lowered into my extra heavily starched pants when getting dressed for drill team competitions.   No thanks, the new blues are cooler and easier to maintain.

Brian Billing, Maj. CAP
CA324

Grumpy

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 26, 2007, 02:27:03 PM
Last year at Civil Air Portal I started some comentary on older uniforms that evolved into this yet to be completed "CAP Uniform History."

http://wiki.cadetstuff.org/index.php?title=CAP_Uniform_History

I should very much like to complete it this summer.

I very much enjoyed your web site.  It brought back memories of 1959 through 1963, when I was a cadet.  We didn't have the Mitchell or the Spaatz Awards then.  We had the Certificate of Proficiency (COP).  The ribbon was blue with a white three bladed propeller in the center with three horizontal stripes on either side of the propeller.  I didn't see that ribbon or the three red, white, and blue cadet ribbons in your collection.

I remember wearing the 505 uniform with bush jacket with that stupid belt.  When I went into the Air Force in June of 63 they were phasing out the 505's and phasing in the 1505's so my issue was half and half.

Memories!

Brian Billing
CA324

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on June 03, 2007, 06:09:22 AM
Quote from: ELTHunter on May 26, 2007, 11:27:25 AM
They were way before my time, but I'd like to see the khaki summer uniform come back as a USAF uniform.  However, since the USAF doesn't plan to go back to it, that's only wishfull thinking.

Have you ever had to starch those suckers and iron in military creases?  When you broke starch taking your first step your pants wrinkled and looked terrible.  I can tell you stories about being lowered into my extra heavily starched pants when getting dressed for drill team competitions.   No thanks, the new blues are cooler and easier to maintain.

Brian Billing, Maj. CAP
CA324

Y'olde fart, you would have to remind me of that. I thought I had excised that from my memory. Now I'm going to have nightmares thinking about that again!

On a more serious note, the olde khaki/tan uniforms had major comfort and appearance issues. They looked good when you first put them on, but showed sweat and dirt quickly. A bad press or starch job could ruin them fairly easily. And on top of all that, they were never comfortable because of all the starch. I'm glad they are gone.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

Quote from: Grumpy on June 03, 2007, 06:09:22 AM

Brian Billing, Maj. CAP
CA324

Modern materials would almost certainly overcome these defects.

When we wore the khakis, no one ever mistook us for bus drivers or postal workers!