mixed uniforms from Vanguard

Started by brasda91, April 07, 2007, 01:46:07 AM

brasda91

After getting back active with my squadron, I was going through the National website, trying to get up to speed on the changes, especially the uniforms.  I noticed the American Flag change and began to correct my uniforms.  I ordered a new BBDU top only to find that they shipped me the ripstop top compared to the winter weight pants I currently have.  A few weeks later I ordered BBDU pants to match my new ripstop top, only to receive the winter weight pants.  Two seperate orders, two different uniforms.  ???  Has anybody else had this issue?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JC004

Quote from: brasda91 on April 07, 2007, 01:46:07 AM
After getting back active with my squadron, I was going through the National website, trying to get up to speed on the changes, especially the uniforms.  I noticed the American Flag change and began to correct my uniforms.  I ordered a new BBDU top only to find that they shipped me the ripstop top compared to the winter weight pants I currently have.  A few weeks later I ordered BBDU pants to match my new ripstop top, only to receive the winter weight pants.  Two seperate orders, two different uniforms.  ???  Has anybody else had this issue?

I've not yet had an experience with them that wasn't totally screwed.  You should call them and smite them.  If they go hiding when you're hunting them down, talk to the Vanguard liaison at NHQ.  If they're selling both, and they didn't specify, they are wrong.  If they're at fault, demand that they fix it.

DNall

Quote from: JC004 on April 07, 2007, 01:50:00 AM
I've not yet had an experience with them that wasn't totally screwed.  You should call them and smite them.  If they go hiding when you're hunting them down, talk to the Vanguard liaison at NHQ.  If they're selling both, and they didn't specify, they are wrong.  If they're at fault, demand that they fix it.
Second!!! They've always fixed the problems, but it's always been rookie stuff like that, which should not have happened. And doesn't happen from other suppliers.

LtCol White

I can honestly say I have not had a single problem with anything I have ordered from them. We even had them produce the LA WG HQ patch and it was perfect and delivered on time.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JC004

Quote from: LtCol White on April 07, 2007, 02:03:17 AM
I can honestly say I have not had a single problem with anything I have ordered from them. We even had them produce the LA WG HQ patch and it was perfect and delivered on time.

No problem?  On time?!  Crazy!  Do you swear they aren't paying you to say that?   ;D

Glad to hear they please sooomebody.  I still think they have to get themselves together down there.  Saying "Vanguard" through clenched teeth seems to be an increasingly common occurrence.  Made for interesting stories at the wing conference..."I ordered a set of ribbons - I got a pair of airman insignia, 3 of the ribbons, and a jar of grape jelly."   :P

DNall

I bet they'd get my order here right & on time if I were ordering wg/hqs patches too.  :D

They are getting a LOT better, but still not as good as anyone else I order from. I hadn't had a prob w/ the customer serv like others, but they're slow & I've ocnsistently had missing items they said were included or wrong items, & such.

LtCol White

I promise this was not a paid endorsement. LOL....

Well all the other small orders I made were rec'd fast and correct. The patch order was a separate order.

I guess I've just been lucky.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JC004

Quote from: LtCol White on April 07, 2007, 02:53:48 AM
Well all the other small orders I made were rec'd fast and correct. The patch order was a separate order.

I ordered two attachments at our wing conference because they were out of stock at the conference (apparently they neglected to bring like...anything?).  I ordered one silver star for the lifesaving, and a bronze one for NCSA (or something?).  A few weeks later, I got a bronze star attachment and a 20-year service attachment.  THANKS, GUYS!  Let me just hold onto that for another 12-point-whatever years. 

LtCol White

Quote from: JC004 on April 07, 2007, 03:11:15 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on April 07, 2007, 02:53:48 AM

I ordered two attachments at our wing conference because they were out of stock at the conference (apparently they neglected to bring like...anything?).  I ordered one silver star for the lifesaving, and a bronze one for NCSA (or something?).  A few weeks later, I got a bronze star attachment and a 20-year service attachment.  THANKS, GUYS!  Let me just hold onto that for another 12-point-whatever years. 

As I said, I must have been lucky with mine
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

brasda91

Update:

I finally had procrastinated enough and called Vanguard.  Told them my problem, they did some checking and called back and gave me a return authorization # and I sent the pants back.  The only thing that could have been better, would have been if they said send the pants back C.O.D., the shipping charges back to Vanguard was out of my pocket.  Oh well, customer service was decent, could have talked to a lady that actually spoke clear English.  My hearing is bad enough without having to talk to someone with an accent.  Hopefully my pants will arrive this week.  So far it has been a pretty good experience.  I do miss the Bookstore, though.  ;D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

SAR-EMT1

We probably ALL miss the bookstore.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Pylon

Quote from: brasda91 on April 22, 2007, 03:05:32 PM
The only thing that could have been better, would have been if they said send the pants back C.O.D., the shipping charges back to Vanguard was out of my pocket.

They made you pay for the return shipping?   ::)

They screwed up an order of mine pretty good just a few weeks ago.  I told them to send me the right item, which they did.  They also called UPS and scheduled a pick-up of the old item.  All I had to do was stick it back in the envelope it came in and hand it to the UPS guy.  Vanguard paid.

I think you got screwed, man.  If they had asked me to pay to return their screw-up, I would have taken the replacement anyways and you would have seen the wrong item on eBay already.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pylon on April 23, 2007, 03:39:11 AM
I think you got screwed, man.  If they had asked me to pay to return their screw-up, I would have taken the replacement anyways and you would have seen the wrong item on eBay already.   ;D
No kidding.  I think its time that we start acting like merchants in the legal way- ie: with bargaining power.  If they screwe up, and have to keep paying for it, I'm am [darn]ed darned sure that they will get there collective "sheep" together and fix their problems.  If we keep paying for their mistakes, why would they care?  It's not their loss.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

Good news is that we will not be required to exclusively purchase Vanguard nametapes or CAP tapes.  Since the change to "US Civil Air Patrol" is really not our name and anychange like that LEGALLY  would require extensive rewriting of the corporate documents, which means the term US Civil Air Patrol is in no way copyrighted at the moment. 

Perhaps someone should go start a business called "US Civil Air Patrol" and copywrite that name.  That way NHQ can't use it!
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

The name "Civil Air Patrol" isn't copyrighted, either. It is covered under the specific law governing CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on April 25, 2007, 12:12:20 AM
The name "Civil Air Patrol" isn't copyrighted, either. It is covered under the specific law governing CAP.

Well is the US Civil Air Patrol a different organization, cuz if it is, I'm getting nametapes from a place that doesn't charge me $7 to ship them or take 8-12 weeks to do so.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 25, 2007, 03:21:03 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 25, 2007, 12:12:20 AM

Well is the US Civil Air Patrol a different organization, cuz if it is, I'm getting nametapes from a place that doesn't charge me $7 to ship them or take 8-12 weeks to do so.
No sheep!
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

brasda91

Update:

I finally had procrastinated enough and called Vanguard.  Told them my problem, they did some checking and called back and gave me a return authorization # and I sent the pants back.  The only thing that could have been better, would have been if they said send the pants back C.O.D., the shipping charges back to Vanguard was out of my pocket.  Oh well, customer service was decent, could have talked to a lady that actually spoke clear English.  My hearing is bad enough without having to talk to someone with an accent.  Hopefully my pants will arrive this week.  So far it has been a pretty good experience.  I do miss the Bookstore, though.  ;D

Thought everybody would like to hear the latest.  As you see above, I returned the pants.  They received the pants on 4/20/07.  Today is 5/10/07 and still haven't received the pants, so I called them.

Seems they couldn't find the paperwork where I had authorization to return them  ???.  Gave them the UPS tracking number, explained the problem to yet another customer service rep.  She has no idea what rip-stop or winter weight means.... >:(.  She goes and asks some other reps, only to hear that Vanguard had put the rip-stop and winter weight pants in the same box and was using the same item number for both styles.  Evidently, none of them new there was a difference in weight of pants.  And it also seems like you would get whatever they pulled out of the box....  Then she proceeds to tell me that they are out of the rip-stop pants and that Vanguard is no longer using Propper as the supplier for the blue BDU's.  I told her to credit my account.  She had no idea how long that would take, go figure.

Once I'm reimbursed for the pants I will longer deal with Vanguard.  After doing some major comparing of prices between The Hock Shop and Vanguard, The Hock Shop beats Vanguard many times over.  I will do all my business the The Hock from now on.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JC004

Quote from: brasda91 on May 10, 2007, 03:58:20 PM
Update:

Thought everybody would like to hear the latest.  As you see above, I returned the pants.  They received the pants on 4/20/07.  Today is 5/10/07 and still haven't received the pants, so I called them.

Seems they couldn't find the paperwork where I had authorization to return them  ???.  Gave them the UPS tracking number, explained the problem to yet another customer service rep.  She has no idea what rip-stop or winter weight means.... >:(.  She goes and asks some other reps, only to hear that Vanguard had put the rip-stop and winter weight pants in the same box and was using the same item number for both styles.  Evidently, none of them new there was a difference in weight of pants.  And it also seems like you would get whatever they pulled out of the box....  Then she proceeds to tell me that they are out of the rip-stop pants and that Vanguard is no longer using Propper as the supplier for the blue BDU's.  I told her to credit my account.  She had no idea how long that would take, go figure.

Once I'm reimbursed for the pants I will longer deal with Vanguard.  After doing some major comparing of prices between The Hock Shop and Vanguard, The Hock Shop beats Vanguard many times over.  I will do all my business the The Hock from now on.

Welcome to the club, Major.  'be nice if these folks would get together after over a year...

MIKE

I wouldn't order BDUs from The Hock.  You can get navy blue BDUs from various sources, and be sure of the fabric type.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Propper makes good uniforms, but if you're wearing them in the field, buy the cheap stuff for $20-25 per piece. Don't spend a lot of money on uniforms that you're going to tear up in the field. Sewing up a hole in your pants is OK while in the field, but for reasons of professional appearance, that piece of uniform needs to be replaced once you get back.

There are loads of places you can get BDU's in just about any color you might reasonably want (I've even seen orange BDU's in the past) all over the Net.

If you pull new utilities out of the package, and then put them straight into the dryer (don't wsh them first) for an hour, they usually won't have much of a fading problem. Seems like some manufacturers don't let the dye completely set before they ship them out. It also helps to wash them inside out, which also softens up the insides, making them more comfortable.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 20, 2007, 03:19:10 PM
There are loads of places you can get BDU's in just about any color you might reasonably want (I've even seen orange BDU's in the past) all over the Net.

New CAP Orange BDUs...

New CAP Corporate SAR Flight Suit

>:D

When good pilots....go bad....
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Lancer

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2007, 03:30:26 PM
like bdu.com?

Ya beat me to it Capt. Bob....

I scoured the interweb for quite a while to find a good price on new BDU's and BDU.com was it. I'll be placing another order with them very soon.