Sizing on the polo shirt

Started by hamburgee, October 02, 2018, 07:46:31 PM

hamburgee

I was looking at Vanguard's page for the CAP polo shirt and noticed that a small is supposedly 41 inches around the chest. My chest measurement is about 36. Does the polo tend to run small, or is it about true to size? I wear a medium in t-shirts, should I get the polo in medium too? Thanks.

chuckmilam

Which of the polos are you looking at?  There are at least three variants in short sleeve alone. 

hamburgee

Specifically the newer "tactical" polo. The sizing chart looked to be the same for both of the embroidered ones.

Edit: I must've misread the two pages. Still, the sizing looks to be similar for both.

Okayish Aviator

I've found that they tend to fit true to size. I wear a size Large in just about every polo, shirt, top that I wear and it fits about the same as anything else I have.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Quote from: DocJekyll on October 02, 2018, 09:27:51 PM
I've found that they tend to fit true to size.

+1, at least in regards to the "regular" material.  I haven't tried one of the new tactikewl ones (which are seriously the way to go).

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Based on a sample size of one, I would say the tactical one runs a little large; not VERY large; but definitely a little bigger than, say, Gap.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2018, 09:37:19 PM

+1, at least in regards to the "regular" material.  I haven't tried one of the new tactikewl ones (which are seriously the way to go).

Mine was one of the new tacticool polos. BTW they do far better in the heat than the other material. FYI. I live somewhere where the sun doesn't play compared to the rest of the country.

Hawk200

I've got the older style. It's a medium, and it's a little looser, but still looks fine, appearance wise.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2018, 09:37:19 PM

+1 and +1 on both accounts. The sizing is, I would say, "normal" (not snug or loose) and the tactical version holds up much better than the older two styles.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

chuckmilam

Tactical is the way to go.  I'm kind of between sizes now, but I agree that it runs true to most brands in that style's sizing. 

etodd

I liked the cotton blend of the older polo. Is the tactical all poly thinner or thicker? Hotter?

Now I see its missing a shirt pocket. I use my pocket, so that means old style for me.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Stonewall

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on October 02, 2018, 09:39:11 PM
Based on a sample size of one, I would say the tactical one runs a little large; not VERY large; but definitely a little bigger than, say, Gap.

I agree. I'd say it runs a little large. I generally wear an XL in polo shirts, but I wear a Large CAP tactical polo.
Serving since 1987.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: etodd on October 04, 2018, 10:24:19 PM
I liked the cotton blend of the older polo. Is the tactical all poly thinner or thicker? Hotter?

Now I see its missing a shirt pocket. I use my pocket, so that means old style for me.

It's a thicker poly, very well constructed but I've noticed it keeps me considerably cooler despite being in the hot tropical sun. Although it doesn't have a front pocket, it does have 2 very well placed pen pockets on the left sleeve and that works great.

chuckmilam

The tactical synthetic won't pick up lint like the old cotton polo.  My old cotton polo ended up in the wash with some baby clothes and burp cloths, and now...it's covered in fine white fuzzy pills that will take 30 hours of work to pick it all off bit by bit.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: chuckmilam on October 05, 2018, 02:03:57 PM
The tactical synthetic won't pick up lint like the old cotton polo.  My old cotton polo ended up in the wash with some baby clothes and burp cloths, and now...it's covered in fine white fuzzy pills that will take 30 hours of work to pick it all off bit by bit.

And doesn't turn purple after a few trips through the washer.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

chuckmilam

Quote from: Paul Creed III on October 05, 2018, 02:08:57 PM
Indeed!  The color remains sharp and I wash it almost weekly since it's our standard weekly meeting UOD.

vorteks

Quote from: chuckmilam on October 05, 2018, 02:10:51 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on October 05, 2018, 02:08:57 PM
Indeed!  The color remains sharp and I wash it almost weekly since it's our standard weekly meeting UOD.
The color being pretty much black far as I've seen. Looks good though.

CAPLTC

Quote from: hamburgee on October 02, 2018, 07:57:00 PM
Specifically the newer "tactical" polo. The sizing chart looked to be the same for both of the embroidered ones.
Edit: I must've misread the two pages. Still, the sizing looks to be similar for both.

The Tactical Polo is a "CornerStone Men's Select Snag Proof Tactical Polo"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIZLZCC/
A lot of local embroidery places have the same polos ... you could likely go try one on somewhere.
Can't hurt to call around and ask.
Good luck.

Unrelated...
It is total crap that Vanguard charges 3x cost on these.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Slim

Quote from: CAPLTC on October 14, 2018, 03:36:40 AM
Quote from: hamburgee on October 02, 2018, 07:57:00 PM

The Tactical Polo is a "CornerStone Men's Select Snag Proof Tactical Polo"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIZLZCC/
A lot of local embroidery places have the same polos ... you could likely go try one on somewhere.
Can't hurt to call around and ask.
Good luck.

I have one of these that I bought in the size I normally wear, and it's a pretty snug fit (while anything else in that size is typically a little loose).  When I bought my tactical polo from VG, I went up a size and its much more comfortable.

Slim