CAP member awarded FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award

Started by Ozzy, May 30, 2017, 03:56:18 AM

Ozzy

On Friday, May 26th, 1st Lt Al Cerullo received the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award. It is an award given to pilots that has at least 50 years of safe flying. Al is an Army veteran and served his country during the Vietnam War. He became a Huey helicopter pilot with 1,605 hours flown in Vietnam during a 13-month tour. Al had several hard landings and was shot down once receiving a Purple Heart. Following his time in the Army, Al became one of the foremost aerial photographers in the world shooting movies, television shows, commercials, still photography and music videos all along the East coast. He received this award from the F.A.A. due to his exemplary safety record while flying nearly 27,000 hours (26,000 rotary) during his career. Al joined Civil Air Patrol in January of 2009 and has been a valued member of the Lt. Quentin Roosevelt Cadet Squadron ever since. Al has been a mentor and friend to many cadets and senior members over the years and we are so pleased and proud to call him one of our own.

The Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award is the most prestigious award the FAA issues to pilots certified under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 61.  This award is named after the Wright Brothers, the first US pilots, to recognize individuals who have exhibited professionalism, skill, and aviation expertise for at least 50 years while piloting aircraft as "Master Pilots".
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

THRAWN

Quote from: Ozzy on May 30, 2017, 03:56:18 AM
On Friday, May 26th, 1st Lt Al Cerullo received the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award. It is an award given to pilots that has at least 50 years of safe flying. Al is an Army veteran and served his country during the Vietnam War. He became a Huey helicopter pilot with 1,605 hours flown in Vietnam during a 13-month tour. Al had several hard landings and was shot down once receiving a Purple Heart. Following his time in the Army, Al became one of the foremost aerial photographers in the world shooting movies, television shows, commercials, still photography and music videos all along the East coast. He received this award from the F.A.A. due to his exemplary safety record while flying nearly 27,000 hours (26,000 rotary) during his career. Al joined Civil Air Patrol in January of 2009 and has been a valued member of the Lt. Quentin Roosevelt Cadet Squadron ever since. Al has been a mentor and friend to many cadets and senior members over the years and we are so pleased and proud to call him one of our own.

The Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award is the most prestigious award the FAA issues to pilots certified under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 61.  This award is named after the Wright Brothers, the first US pilots, to recognize individuals who have exhibited professionalism, skill, and aviation expertise for at least 50 years while piloting aircraft as "Master Pilots".

Fantastic news! That's almost 3 years in the air.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Live2Learn

Thanks for sharing this.  We really need to celebrate significant life accomplishments, such as Al Cerullo's.  I also hugely appreciate Al's service in Huey's 40+ years ago in the RVN.  Kudos to him for a life of service.

Ozzy

Quote from: THRAWN on May 30, 2017, 01:19:05 PM

Fantastic news! That's almost 3 years in the air.

I was just talking to him tonight, I'm going to be trying to get him posted on the NHQ site in the news section. Those 26,000+ hours in a helicopter with no mishaps or safety violations, such an incredible accomplishment. I asked him how he got all those hours and he said he does a lot of work for Hollywood doing a lot of the helicopter work; He's been doing it since the 80's Winter Olympics and other sporting events all the way up to recent moves like The Men in Black, The Avengers, Ironman, and other movies. His website is here (http://hoverviews.com/) if you would like to take a look.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

audiododd

Ozzy,

If you are in contact with him regularly, I'd love to find out what he had to do for that award.  I have read the FAA packet, but would like to hear from someone who's actually submitted/been submitted for the award.  My dad hung up his certificate last year after 60 years of flying (soloed in 1955 in a J-3 Cub) and I want to submit him for the Wright Brothers award as a final act of an old pilot.  My big problem will be finding 3 references that are certified pilots that know/knew him that are still alive -- the last 20 years or so, he flew out of a grass strip with only 2 other planes hangared there.

Thanks,

Dodd
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Ozzy

Quote from: audiododd on May 31, 2017, 05:30:42 AM
Ozzy,

If you are in contact with him regularly, I'd love to find out what he had to do for that award.  I have read the FAA packet, but would like to hear from someone who's actually submitted/been submitted for the award.  My dad hung up his certificate last year after 60 years of flying (soloed in 1955 in a J-3 Cub) and I want to submit him for the Wright Brothers award as a final act of an old pilot.  My big problem will be finding 3 references that are certified pilots that know/knew him that are still alive -- the last 20 years or so, he flew out of a grass strip with only 2 other planes hangared there.

Thanks,

Dodd

Best thing I can help you with that is here: https://www.faasafety.gov/content/masterpilot/

He did not know he was put in for this and it was a total surprise for him to be awarded it. I know at least the last 37 years has been pretty well documented for Al since he has worked extensively with a lot of film crews and such and is very well known around here.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Live2Learn

Quote from: audiododd on May 31, 2017, 05:30:42 AM
Ozzy,

I'd love to find out what he had to do for that award.  I have read the FAA packet, but would like to hear from someone who's actually submitted/been submitted for the award.  ...

Dodd

I've submitted several WB awards.  PM me and we can discuss the process.