official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Pylon

Quote from: Picy3 on November 23, 2017, 04:50:33 AM
well hello.. another new person here.. i love CAP and anything cap is usually good so i was like "hey i wonder what this "cap talk" is.. so here i am.

incase anyone is wondering, im a C/SrA (soon to be staff sergeant! (yay ;D )) and uh thats about all..

but it didn't look like this site was too active all the time so im just wondering if im just here at a busy time or if its more of a just small site.. (or if i just cant see the activeness)

Welcome!

I wouldn't call CAPTalk a "small site" in the sense that there are 404,839 posts in 20,172 topics with 7,498 members. But yes — the day-to-day posting quantity is not as prolific as many sites. In CAPTalk's 12 year history (nearing 13 years), we've only averaged 87.52 posts per day.

That being said, the admins here have always hoped for quality over quantity. I'd much rather see 10 great posts in one day versus 100 or 1000 mediocre posts. The community here has always been intended to be a professional community of practice versus a water cooler of gossip. Not all have adhered to this ideal but it is nonetheless the ideal and goal of this forum. I hope you find and make good use of it. Welcome, again.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Picy3

Quote from: Pylon on November 26, 2017, 02:50:36 AM
well hello.. another new person here.. i love CAP and anything cap is usually good so i was like "hey i wonder what this "cap talk" is.. so here i am.

incase anyone is wondering, im a C/SrA (soon to be staff sergeant! (yay ;D )) and uh thats about all..

but it didn't look like this site was too active all the time so im just wondering if im just here at a busy time or if its more of a just small site.. (or if i just cant see the activeness)

Welcome!

I wouldn't call CAPTalk a "small site" in the sense that there are 404,839 posts in 20,172 topics with 7,498 members. But yes — the day-to-day posting quantity is not as prolific as many sites. In CAPTalk's 12 year history (nearing 13 years), we've only averaged 87.52 posts per day.

That being said, the admins here have always hoped for quality over quantity. I'd much rather see 10 great posts in one day versus 100 or 1000 mediocre posts. The community here has always been intended to be a professional community of practice versus a water cooler of gossip. Not all have adhered to this ideal but it is nonetheless the ideal and goal of this forum. I hope you find and make good use of it. Welcome, again.

yes thank you! I have really liked it here so far so yeah and it has been very helpful.
I realized that yeah it is pretty active.
-though would be cool to see an open chat room just to talk..-
(unless there's a hidden one  :o )

oh but just wondering, is there any edit buttons for after you post something if there's an error (I couldn't find one)
EDIT: found it
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

Razerex

Hello,
I'm a parent to a new CAP cadet who joined a short while ago, and has been really enjoying it so far.

I'm happy to have found this community. I've shared this community with my cadet, and look forward to poking around to get a taste of things within CAP that she can look forward to as she ranks up.

Happy Holidays, all!

MrsRoe

Quote from: Razerex on December 18, 2017, 01:56:11 AM
Hello,
I'm a parent to a new CAP cadet who joined a short while ago, and has been really enjoying it so far.

I'm happy to have found this community. I've shared this community with my cadet, and look forward to poking around to get a taste of things within CAP that she can look forward to as she ranks up.

Happy Holidays, all!
Welcome to the wonderful world of CAP parenting! It's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

CAPSOC_0pur8ur

Here, even though I've already posted elsewhere. Just trying to get that ugly "recruit" off the side of my profile tbh. So yeah. Hi
"To be somebody or to do something. In life there is often a roll call. That's when you will have to make a decision. To be or to do? Which way will you go?" -Col John Boyd

MDMike2017

New CAP member here, just stopping by to say hi! Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and tapping into everybody's experience and knowledge!

J2H

Hey all.  I am not new to the forum or CAP, but after a few years of a hiatus I am rejoining CAP as a Senior Member.  I was a SM W/O Grade in 2013/14 with another squadron.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

RiChArD7032

It's been a LONG time since I was active in CAP.  Prior Utah Wing Cadet in the 90's.  I know, most of you weren't even born yet.  I'm back as a SM and excited to jump back in and be a mentor to my cadets.  I hope to be as effective as many of the SM's I had when I was a cadet.  I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

Angus

First off welcome back always good to see a former cadet come back to the fold.  Second you'd be surprised there's more seniors on here than you'd think.  Third, Richard good name, shows you're strong and a great leader.   ;D

Also tell Major DeBros I said Hi from Boston.  He used to be in our squadron. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

RiChArD7032

Hello Sir,
Thanks for the welcome.  I see that my post had over 200 views...but you're the only one to say hi...lol.  Anyways, I'm excited to jump in.  I don't know who Maj DeBros is yet, haven't met him.  But I've only been to a couple meetings so far. 

Fester

Howdy!  Also a former Cadet who just decided (after a 20 year break) to get back into the fold.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on February 07, 2018, 05:38:31 AM
Hello Sir,
Thanks for the welcome.  I see that my post had over 200 views...but you're the only one to say hi...lol.  Anyways, I'm excited to jump in.  I don't know who Maj DeBros is yet, haven't met him.  But I've only been to a couple meetings so far.
Then let me be the second!  Welcome back!  My intro to CAP was from a Delaware Wing pilot with whom I was working at the time.  He said it was a good thing to do....he wasn't wrong!

Angus is correct....there's a **lot** of SM on this board, and i'd suggest probably more SM than cadets.

Anyways...enjoy!

Pylon

Welcome Richard!

(I'm also merging this with our "I'm here" thread for housekeeping, that's all!)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SJMill2K

Hello everyone, I am currently a Senior Airman in Civil Air Patrol. I've been apart of this wonderful organization for almost 4 years. (If any of you are wonder why I am such a low rank for being apart of CAP for 4 years, that is a whole other story that is long.)

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Hi! Nice to see you Second_In_Command! (Even though u and I are in the same Squadron.  ;D)
C/SSgt Cassie

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

Hello, everyone (I rather not give out my last name or name so just call me by my nickname Cassie). XD I have currently been in Civil Air Patrol for less than a year and I am Senior Airman. I have enjoyed CAP so far and I am very pleased to see that there is even a discussion place outside of CAP. So whoever made this, this is awesome, thanks.
C/SSgt Cassie

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

incase anyone is wondering, im a C/SrA (soon to be staff sergeant! (yay ;D)) and uh thats about all..

Hi! I am C/SrA Cassie (I am just not going to give out my last name or first name because in general, I don't do that). Did you make it to Staff Sargeant yet? XD

Probably a busy time?
C/SSgt Cassie

vorteks

Quote from: Second_In_Command on February 17, 2018, 05:30:36 PM
Hello everyone, I am currently a Senior Airman in Civil Air Patrol. I've been apart of this wonderful organization for almost 4 years. (If any of you are wonder why I am such a low rank for being apart of CAP for 4 years, that is a whole other story that is long.)

Do tell.

Spam

Quote from: Second_In_Command on February 17, 2018, 05:30:36 PM

Welcome, cadet.

You might want to edit your tag slightly to "SER-GA-454" (the correct charter number ordering).

You've got a good unit (the Wing/CC and I enjoyed doing a bit of PT with y'all the week before last when we visited, and we had a good time training with y'all on the mountain this past weekend). I'd never before seen a real entire C-141 bounce from cadets doing PT in it!

Best,
Spam

SarDragon

Quote from: Spam on February 20, 2018, 04:58:35 PM
You might want to edit your tag slightly to "SER-GA-454" (the correct charter number ordering).

Done.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret