Help needed - Ambassadors for CAP class

Started by wuzafuzz, March 02, 2009, 04:39:15 PM

wuzafuzz

I have been asked to teach a 30-40 minute class showing cadets how to be good amabassadors for CAP.  How to avoid creating a negative image for CAP, that kind of thing.  Three days to prepare.  Does anyone have any material that I could shamelessly borrow?  Power Points, outlines, anything would be helpful.

This comes on the heels of a newspaper article about CAP that was less than informative.  Once of our cadets blasted the newspaper in their public comments forum, and made it clear he was one of the cadets who worked really hard and wasn't credited in the article.  Not the best PR.  I understand his sentiment but disagree with his method. 

On the bright side, a different local paper penned a great article:  http://www.reporterherald.com/news_story.asp?ID=21824
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

tarheel gumby

Look in the PAO manual there were good ideas in that manual that I found helpful when I was working with Cadets.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Slim

While my own personal solution for violating rule 2 ("Don't embarrass me") probably isn't quite what you're looking for, this might help.  And, unfortunately, I don't have any nifty powerpoints or anything.

This might actually make for a good moral leadership character development class.

As I understand the situation, one of your cadets whined and cried about not getting his due in a newspaper article?  Point out how doing that makes us all look like a bunch of whiny crybabies who will spout off whenever we don't get what we feel is due recognition.

Perhaps that point is the destination.  The road to get to that point is paved by stories of people who do what they do because it's the right thing to do (integrity), not to get kudos out of it.  Point out how so many acts of heroism and whatnot go unnoticed in places like the military (How many BTDTs can vouch for the fact that a very small percentage of heroic acts go unrewarded because the right person didn't see it?).  For that matter, the majority of heroic acts in the PD/FD/EMS world go unnoticed.  How would it look if the firefighter who helped another rescue a baby from a burning house, but didn't get the proper recognition for it, wrote the papers blabbing about how he (or she) didn't get any credit?  Or, the paramedic who wrote the papers complaining that he should get some credit because he drove the bus that took that baby to the hospital?  Or the cop who raced alongside them to block intersections?

No, we do what we do because it's our job.  If a little recognition comes our way for doing it, then great.  If not, then we go about our lives as the quiet professionals we should be.

Recognition and heroism is more about being in the right place, at the right time, and a whole lot of blind luck, than it is about actually doing it.

Slim

punkish poet

The Meeting the Media guide might help. Although it is written for Airmen, the same basic rules apply.

wuzafuzz

Thanks for all the ideas.  They are very helpful!

James Shaw

Make sure the uniform is top notch.
Tell the truth and give honest answers.
Don't make promises you can't keep or control.
PAO guide is a great place to start.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Smithsonia

Eric; (Wazafuzz is with Thompson Vally Comp/Sqdrn)
Having worked with Thompson Valley Composite Squadron Cadets many times... bring one of your finest to the task, in uniform. These young men and women are a walking talking example that no refined power point can touch.

Make it apparent by showing the real deal. You know who these Cadets are... use'em when you can and where you are able. It works in an organic storytelling fashion, it works in standing the Cadet up as an example, and it really works on an audience that may never have seen the "real deal."

I know I've been impressed. Others will be too.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Smithsonia

To my previous post and point about TVCS and Cadet Ambassadors.
Their drill team won the Wing competition and is going to region finals.

http://reporterherald.com/news_story.asp?ID=21824

There's no better way to make a great cadet than have a great cadet show them the
path. Leadership is vertical. Leadership is horizontal too. Ambassadors are made, not born.
PA is the same. PA is a matter of mentoring. Mentoring in this way is best instructed from the
cadet cadre.

This particular squadron has great leaders, and therefore ambassadors, pouring out their ears,
oozing from their composite skin, and standing proud on their drill pad.
Simply... a first rate squadron. One that we in the Colorado Wing... are very proud of.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

wuzafuzz

I put together a presentation covering some of the basics of presenting a good image.  The Meet the Media guide had some great quotes I used (and referenced). We'll fill it out with a few group exercises such as creating an elevator sales pitch for CAP.  It will also cover the importance of considering the perceptions created when we publish blogs, YouTube videos, etc and CAP is referenced in any way.  Finally we'll discuss a few generic examples of bozo no-no's and how they can impact public opinion.

We'll run with it Thursday night.  :-)

Thanks for all your input!

wuzafuzz

Success!  The class went off nicely and the cadet participation was great! 

As usual I can think of some things I would have done differently.  Lessons learned for next time.  In the not too distant future I'll post the Power Point on my squadron website.
http://www.coloradowingcap.org/thompsonvalley/  It'll be in the TVCS Voice section.

Once again, thank you to everyone who shared their ideas.   :)