Main Menu

CAP = Big Brother?

Started by wuzafuzz, October 24, 2012, 12:06:27 PM

wuzafuzz

Ha!  If you fold that tin foil hat up just right it doubles as a silver oak leaf.   ;D

PS: don't use cell phones or walkie talkies while wearing a tin foil hat.  The hat acts as a parabolic reflector and fries your brains, possibly creating a zombie...just in time for Halloween.  Besides, the tin foil hat creates a larger radar image, making it easier for the black helicopters to find you.  :angel:

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

bflynn

Quote from: CyBorg on October 26, 2012, 10:03:41 PM

I do not respect a murderer, etc., who is guilty and unrepentant.

I do not respect someone who thinks that all other races, religions, nationalities, creeds, etc. are "inferior" to theirs.

I will not pretend to be courteous to such people.

Then you're saying that for you to have respect, someone has to agree with you first or have a status that everyone else says you have to respect.

That isn't about you, so it isn't a core value of yours.

Look, I'm not condemning this one way or another.  It's a country of free belief, you can treat respect how you want.  But if you only respect those you already like for other reasons and don't respect those you don't like then it's very difficult for me to assign respect as one of your core values because you subordinate respect to social customs.  Effectively, other people are telling you who to respect.

I'm not telling anyone else how to live or what to believe - just the way I see it.

If it's worth anything, my view of why respect for all humans is important is rooted in religion and every person being a child of God.  But that's my reason, I'm not suggesting it be yours.  If you don't have the same root belief, then it's understandable or even predictable that you see respect differently than I do.

Regardless - using the earlier part of this thread as an example, more respect would go a long way here.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: bflynn on October 27, 2012, 01:56:13 AM
Regardless - using the earlier part of this thread as an example, more respect would go a long way here.
Including an understanding that people have opinions that differ from yours.  Celebrate diversity and stop beating this poor horse to a pulp.  Please.

I started this thread as an awareness piece and, yes, the thought of people viewing CAP as part of some evil conspiracy is funny to some of us. Of course it's also good to be aware such opinions exist so we can ponder how we will best represent CAP if we are publicly confronted by one of those folks.

RogueLeader

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 27, 2012, 01:56:06 AM
Ha!  If you fold that tin foil hat up just right it doubles as a silver oak leaf.   ;D

Sorry, I'm only up for Maj.   I got four years yet for Lt Col.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

bflynn

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 27, 2012, 02:04:26 AMIncluding an understanding that people have opinions that differ from yours.  Celebrate diversity and stop beating this poor horse to a pulp.  Please.

Quote from: bflynn on October 27, 2012, 01:56:13 AMI'm not telling anyone else how to live or what to believe - just the way I see it.

You're asking me to stop talking about a CAP core value...

Then let's just end the thread.

AngelWings

Quote from: bflynn on October 27, 2012, 03:57:03 AM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 27, 2012, 02:04:26 AMIncluding an understanding that people have opinions that differ from yours.  Celebrate diversity and stop beating this poor horse to a pulp.  Please.

Quote from: bflynn on October 27, 2012, 01:56:13 AMI'm not telling anyone else how to live or what to believe - just the way I see it.

Your points are extreme. You're not using common sense, which tells us how to dictate how much or how little respect we will show. I remember someone telling someone here that there is "the words of the law and the spirit of the law". The spirit of the core value is that we will show respect as appropiate to those who earn and/or deserve it (which is the majority of CAP members)

There is a huge list of people I do not respect. This list ranges from child abusers and rapists to scum businessmen who ruin other peoples lives to put an extra dollar in their pockets (think Bernie Madoff), with a lot in between.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: bflynn on October 27, 2012, 03:57:03 AM

Instead of ending the thread, why not stop the off topic hijack and start your own thread.  That way each one can run its course without requiring a lock.

Respect the rules here.  From the membership code of conduct:
"Finally, as a good housekeeping reminder, please stay on topic.  If your topic starts to drift, or you develop a new topic you'd like to discuss, please create a separate, appropriately-titled thread.  This not only keeps things tidy, but helps build a well-labeled archive of discussions for current and future reference.  Remember to search for recent threads on a topic before you start one to see if the idea has already been under discussion in an existing thread."

wuzafuzz

In the original linked article some commenters discussed publicly confronting the CAP members.  How would CAPTalkers react to that?

FWIW I would try to have a productive conversation while avoiding a shouting match.  If it descends to that level it's time to leave or call the cops.  Cadet protection remains paramount.

Fortunately, chances are that most of us will never have that conversation.  It's good to consider the possibility though.

ol'fido

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 27, 2012, 12:24:38 AM
Can we just go ahead and turn this into a uniform thread?   Its page three already and it hasn't happened, captalk is lagging behind.
I saw a show on NatGeo or Discovery Channel the other night about the "Watchmen" militia groups in IN, FL, and AZ. It was called "Militia Rising". It should have been called "FAT MEN IN CAMOUFLAGE". I nearly died laughing. >:D

Militia Rising_WMV V9.wmv
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SARDOC

Quote from: ol'fido on October 27, 2012, 02:09:52 PM
Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 27, 2012, 12:24:38 AM
Can we just go ahead and turn this into a uniform thread?   Its page three already and it hasn't happened, captalk is lagging behind.
I saw a show on NatGeo or Discovery Channel the other night about the "Watchmen" militia groups in IN, FL, and AZ. It was called "Militia Rising". It should have been called "FAT MEN IN CAMOUFLAGE". I nearly died laughing. >:D

Militia Rising_WMV V9.wmv

wow..Just watched the video.  What a bunch of loons.  This is what scares me about just anybody being able to buy assault rifles.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: SARDOC on October 27, 2012, 02:42:02 PM
This is what scares me about just anybody being able to buy assault rifles.
Yeah, let's not start this one please.

RRLE

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 27, 2012, 12:45:42 PM
In the original linked article some commenters discussed publicly confronting the CAP members.  How would CAPTalkers react to that?

Keep in mind the original article stated the CAP members barred his way. The confrontation needs to be seen in that context. Since perception is reality, the confrontation would be CAP's fault for barring the way.