CAP Color Guard at NFL game tonight. Tune in!

Started by Woodsy, August 30, 2012, 02:31:45 PM

Woodsy

The Cecil Field Cadet Squadron Color Guard (Jacksonville, FL) will be posting the colors at the Jaguars v Falcons game tonight.  This is a nationally televised, prime time Thursday Night Football event.  The game will air on CBS at 1830, with the presentation immediately before.  Hope you can tune in! 

a2capt

Most excellent! One year, during fleet week, we got a last minute call to present at the Chargers and just the week prior we had an opening on the Color Guard team  ...  between the giant flag, the footballs flying everywhere, the "cannons", and the nearly 60,000 people..  it was one new cadet's first time outside of our parking lot, to perform. Talk about an introduction. :)

Sadly ... the NFL TV coverage of pretty much every game starts .... right after the that. Blame the network, the league, they're only interested in ad bucks and what draws people to see. The TV network will dictate the time the Color Guard walks, so that 90 seconds later they can start the feed on TV after running the three commercials. It sometimes breaks in right at the end, or as they're walking off the field.  Even on the radio, I've tried to capture the audio when our unit has presented colors from the radio streams, downloaded game video that's been ripped from TV feeds, etc.

The best you'll probably do is the senior member(s) that go with them may be able to walk to the 50 on the side the Colors will be facing while the singing goes on, and snap a variety of photos.

Extremepredjudice

I was going, but I can't because of my precalc class...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Angus

Sadly because it's preseason it's not nationaly telivisied.  Just checked my local listings for CBS we have regular programing.  I wish I could see it!
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Woodsy

Quote from: Angus on August 30, 2012, 05:22:05 PM
Sadly because it's preseason it's not nationaly telivisied.  Just checked my local listings for CBS we have regular programing.  I wish I could see it!

hmm, we were told by the Jags reps that it was.  Maybe not everywhere?  I know my aunt that lives in Seattle has it set on DVR already...  Oh well, we'll still look sharp and do it right. 

Woodsy

Quote from: a2capt on August 30, 2012, 03:03:25 PM
Most excellent! One year, during fleet week, we got a last minute call to present at the Chargers and just the week prior we had an opening on the Color Guard team  ...  between the giant flag, the footballs flying everywhere, the "cannons", and the nearly 60,000 people..  it was one new cadet's first time outside of our parking lot, to perform. Talk about an introduction. :)

Sadly ... the NFL TV coverage of pretty much every game starts .... right after the that. Blame the network, the league, they're only interested in ad bucks and what draws people to see. The TV network will dictate the time the Color Guard walks, so that 90 seconds later they can start the feed on TV after running the three commercials. It sometimes breaks in right at the end, or as they're walking off the field.  Even on the radio, I've tried to capture the audio when our unit has presented colors from the radio streams, downloaded game video that's been ripped from TV feeds, etc.

The best you'll probably do is the senior member(s) that go with them may be able to walk to the 50 on the side the Colors will be facing while the singing goes on, and snap a variety of photos.

Yeah, I know they usually show at least part of the national anthem depending on who is doing it.  I'd be happy for a 5 second live view on TV but am not too hopeful.  I will be there on the sideline taking pics.  Trying to decide now if I'll set one DSLR to video on a tripod and shoot another one just still pics...  As of now I'm leaning towards leaving the tripod at home and just shooting still pics... 

Woodsy

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 30, 2012, 04:08:52 PM
I was going, but I can't because of my precalc class...

Sorry to hear that.  School comes first...  (if only I would have listened to my own advice.....)

Angus

Quote from: Woodsy on August 30, 2012, 05:38:33 PM
Quote from: Angus on August 30, 2012, 05:22:05 PM

hmm, we were told by the Jags reps that it was.  Maybe not everywhere?  I know my aunt that lives in Seattle has it set on DVR already...  Oh well, we'll still look sharp and do it right.

I'm up in Boston and we don't have it.  Maybe they put it on the NFL network, but CBS nope.  Big Bang instead. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

a2capt

A short monopod with a ganged video camera is how I usually do it. The monopod provides for utility such as stability (cheapo basic steady-cam properties), a short stick to hold over heads if you need, a stub to steady a shot off a railing.

By ganged, I mean I put a plate between the camera with spaced 1/4-20 holes in it, and keep an assortment of these plates, 1/4-20 wingnuts,  wingbolts, washers and 1" sections threaded rod with the camera stuff.

The video just goes while I'm shooting, and primarily so I can capture the entire audio portion and sections of the video that are still/relatively shake free can be integrated into a slideshow. That is, using the video as the basis for the slideshow and drop stills over it that are selected from the entire days event. Warmup, practice, travel to the venue, attending the game afterwards, etc.

..and I was informed that the most recent ones are on the CAP news feed today:

Calif. Unit Provides Pair of Color Guard Teams for MLB, NFL Contests

AngelWings

DANGIT! I HAVE A CAP EVENT TO GO TO!!! Someone please record it and post it if possible? I'd be interested in seeing it.

SarDragon

Quote from: Woodsy on August 30, 2012, 02:31:45 PM
The Cecil Field Cadet Squadron Color Guard (Jacksonville, FL) will be posting the colors at the Jaguars v Falcons game tonight.  This is a nationally televised, prime time Thursday Night Football event.  The game will air on CBS at 1830, with the presentation immediately before.  Hope you can tune in!

Ummm...  Regionally televised. We get a west coast game here in Sandy Eggo.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Woodsy

Quote from: a2capt on August 30, 2012, 06:43:45 PM
A short monopod with a ganged video camera is how I usually do it. The monopod provides for utility such as stability (cheapo basic steady-cam properties), a short stick to hold over heads if you need, a stub to steady a shot off a railing.

By ganged, I mean I put a plate between the camera with spaced 1/4-20 holes in it, and keep an assortment of these plates, 1/4-20 wingnuts,  wingbolts, washers and 1" sections threaded rod with the camera stuff.

The video just goes while I'm shooting, and primarily so I can capture the entire audio portion and sections of the video that are still/relatively shake free can be integrated into a slideshow. That is, using the video as the basis for the slideshow and drop stills over it that are selected from the entire days event. Warmup, practice, travel to the venue, attending the game afterwards, etc.

..and I was informed that the most recent ones are on the CAP news feed today:

Calif. Unit Provides Pair of Color Guard Teams for MLB, NFL Contests

What is the point of putting the plate between the camera and monopod mount?

a2capt

"ganged video camera" - the plate... the mount. Two, three cameras. One stick. One thing to hold.

Record it? Search usenet for a TV rip in as early as a few hours from now.

Woodsy

Quote from: a2capt on August 31, 2012, 03:07:08 AM
"ganged video camera" - the plate... the mount. Two, three cameras. One stick. One thing to hold.

Record it? Search usenet for a TV rip in as early as a few hours from now.

Ohh, gotcha.  That's a great idea.

I DVR'd it and just watched.  No coverage at all of the national anthem and no mention of CAP...  Oh well...  The stadium announcer made a nice introduction at least. 

BuckeyeDEJ

The game was nationally televised, if you consider a delayed broadcast on the NFL Network being nationally televised.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.