Wing social media policies?

Started by Woodsy, February 16, 2012, 04:31:31 PM

Woodsy

Do any wings out there have any official policies, supplements, etc. regarding social media?  If so, would someone be willing to post a link, or message me a copy?  I'm in the process of working on one and would love to take a look at any examples.  Thanks! 

PHall

Considering that the National Board is still working on this issue you may wanna wait until they're done before you start doing a Wing Policy.

Woodsy

Eclipse

My wing simply reiterates the best practices published by national, which is likely the best course for all of them.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Woodsy on February 16, 2012, 04:42:49 PM
Anyone heard an ETA on this??
Nope....don't really expect anything either.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Woodsy

Quote from: lordmonar on February 16, 2012, 05:53:56 PM

That's why we were just going to do it on our own...  If they ever put anything out, we can always revise it, but I don't think sitting and waiting indefinitely is the best option...

lordmonar

Quote from: Woodsy on February 16, 2012, 06:06:19 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 16, 2012, 05:53:56 PM

That's why we were just going to do it on our own...  If they ever put anything out, we can always revise it, but I don't think sitting and waiting indefinitely is the best option...
Just out of curiosity.....are you having problems with social media that you think you need a written policy?

Woodsy

No, not problems.  We believe the use of social media is critical to the success of an effective internal and external PA program, and we want to promote its use as much as possible.  We are looking at options ranging from requiring the use, establishing a wing social media staff position, and several others that will encourage the regular use of social media. This isn't a "corrective" issue, rather an initiative to take it to the next level.

PHall

Quote from: Woodsy on February 16, 2012, 06:27:50 PM
No, not problems.  We believe the use of social media is critical to the success of an effective internal and external PA program, and we want to promote its use as much as possible.  We are looking at options ranging from requiring the use, establishing a wing social media staff position, and several others that will encourage the regular use of social media. This isn't a "corrective" issue, rather an initiative to take it to the next level.

This sounds like a solution looking for a problem. You really sure you guys need this?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: PHall on February 16, 2012, 07:19:49 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on February 16, 2012, 06:27:50 PM

This sounds like a solution looking for a problem. You really sure you guys need this?

Steering the ship before it points towards the iceberg is never a bad thing. It's like how I emphasized that each staff officer put together a plan for their department this year - it wasn't because there was a problem, it was because I wanted everyone to know where we were going before they started doing things.

Woodsy

Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology here...  "Plan" might be a better word than policy.  We're not trying to correct a problem, or avoid a future problem, simply trying to put in writing what we're doing well, improve on it, so we can take a good thing and make it better than it already is. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Woodsy on February 16, 2012, 07:53:35 PM
Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology here...  "Plan" might be a better word than policy.  We're not trying to correct a problem, or avoid a future problem, simply trying to put in writing what we're doing well, improve on it, so we can take a good thing and make it better than it already is.
Sounds good to me.  Good luck.