Main Menu

Radio spots for PA?

Started by Woodsy, June 15, 2011, 04:00:09 AM

Woodsy

I have a connection that is a top dog at a company that runs 5 local radio stations and may be able to arrange for some free airtime.  The goal of this would be general public awareness, not necessarily recruiting, though if any comes from it that would be great too.  The thing holding me back is we would have to provide the final cut of the radio spot to the station, they will not assist with any production.  I have no experience with this sort of thing, and the cost of having t professionally produced is way out of budget.  This is major market radio with potential exposure of over a million listeners so it needs to be absolutely top notch and professional.  It seems to me I saw a recording on the NHQ website once for a Wreaths Across America promo but I can't find it now, except for a transcript.  Has anyone ever used radio as a PA tool?  I'd be interested to know what your goals and objectives were, and the results.  This is something that came up that I wasn't looking for, I don't know what to do with it but also don't want to let the opportunity go to waste.  Does anyone have any samples they could send me, or better yet, a ready-to-go spot we could use? Also if there is a CAP member that does this sort of thing that would be willing to volunteer their services that would be amazing. 

davidsinn

Quote from: Woodsy on June 15, 2011, 04:00:09 AM
I have a connection that is a top dog at a company that runs 5 local radio stations and may be able to arrange for some free airtime.  The goal of this would be general public awareness, not necessarily recruiting, though if any comes from it that would be great too.  The thing holding me back is we would have to provide the final cut of the radio spot to the station, they will not assist with any production.  I have no experience with this sort of thing, and the cost of having t professionally produced is way out of budget.  This is major market radio with potential exposure of over a million listeners so it needs to be absolutely top notch and professional.  It seems to me I saw a recording on the NHQ website once for a Wreaths Across America promo but I can't find it now, except for a transcript.  Has anyone ever used radio as a PA tool?  I'd be interested to know what your goals and objectives were, and the results.  This is something that came up that I wasn't looking for, I don't know what to do with it but also don't want to let the opportunity go to waste.  Does anyone have any samples they could send me, or better yet, a ready-to-go spot we could use? Also if there is a CAP member that does this sort of thing that would be willing to volunteer their services that would be amazing.

Contact NHQ/PA they have some stuff available.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Woodsy

Thanks, I just sent them an email.

ol'fido

In my history stuff, I have an old reel-to-reel tape marked "CAP Radio Slot". I have never had the means to listen to it. I guess I need to find some one with a reel player.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Quote from: ol'fido on June 15, 2011, 10:06:30 PM
In my history stuff, I have an old reel-to-reel tape marked "CAP Radio Slot". I have never had the means to listen to it. I guess I need to find some one with a reel player.

If all else fails, you can send it to me. I still have one that works.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

At least a few years ago they used to have radio and video spots available for download.  Not sure if those are still around somewhere on the NHQ public affairs page. 

SarDragon

I haven't seen any recently. I think the olde ones got so outdated that they were taken down, and there haven't been any new ones done.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Woodsy

For anyone that's curious- 

I got a reply from Julie at NHQ saying they had just received a batch of media stuff yesterday, which included some new prepackaged radio spots.  I don't know if they are general CAP, Wreaths Across America, or what.  She had not yet had a chance to review anything and said she would bet back to me.  I will update here when I find out whats in the goody bag. 

JC004

Did you find the radio slots that were in e-Services?  If not, I have them.

Woodsy

I did not see any in there.  if you could send them to me, that would be great.  Just sent you a PM. 

JC004

Got it.  Have to get the external HDD with some of the CAP stuff.  I will look and send you an e-mail.

RADIOMAN015

Interesting about the radio spot announcements.  HOWEVER, the demographics of the listening audience is important.  I don't see this as a big recruiting tools for cadets.  I'm not even sure if cadet know about AM/FM commercial broadcasters "over the air", most don't even own a radio.  Generally it's IPOd's etc.   

I agree that possibly some sort of general CAP awareness radio spot would be beneficial on any/all radio stations.

I personally think CAP could do more with streaming video/audio from national HQ.  I'd like the idea of a CAP monthly report so we could get the local cable TV companies to show just like they show the various Army, Navy/Marine, & Air Force news.   

Another possibility is to get on a few radio talk shows to showcase CAP (there are some national shows feed by satellite to local stations also).  When I was a cadet officer (back in mid 1960's), I was able to make arrangements with one of the local radio station talk shows and the senior member that was going to help me (actually at that time the Group PAO) couldn't assist at the last minute.   That was interesting hour for me ;D

RM   

Woodsy

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 16, 2011, 10:51:05 PM
Interesting about the radio spot announcements.  HOWEVER, the demographics of the listening audience is important.  I don't see this as a big recruiting tools for cadets.  I'm not even sure if cadet know about AM/FM commercial broadcasters "over the air", most don't even own a radio.  Generally it's IPOd's etc.   

I agree that possibly some sort of general CAP awareness radio spot would be beneficial on any/all radio stations.

I personally think CAP could do more with streaming video/audio from national HQ.  I'd like the idea of a CAP monthly report so we could get the local cable TV companies to show just like they show the various Army, Navy/Marine, & Air Force news.   

Another possibility is to get on a few radio talk shows to showcase CAP (there are some national shows feed by satellite to local stations also).  When I was a cadet officer (back in mid 1960's), I was able to make arrangements with one of the local radio station talk shows and the senior member that was going to help me (actually at that time the Group PAO) couldn't assist at the last minute.   That was interesting hour for me ;D

RM   

Recruiting isn't the objective so that's no problem.  However, I think I would have to disagree with you about kids and radios...  I think they still listen a good bit.  I think we're just aiming for general PA.  As I said this is something that just fell in my lap so we're trying to scramble to figure out what to do with it. 

Also, I've already thought about working on some radio shows, with my connections I think I can make it happen.  My squadron is in rebuilding mode, having had a huge change in staff and a bunch of new members in the past year (including me.)  Also there has been no PA program whatsoever until I was appointed PAO a few months ago.  For a squadron with 80+ members, very active in all 3 missions, with monthly SAREX's and quite a few actual missions a year, not to mention the home squadron of the WC, you'd think the residents of Jacksonville would know we're here.  The squadron has been here since the 80's, my family has been here since the 50's (I was born here in '85) and not one person I know had ever heard of CAP before I joined (after randomly running into a link on a cessna wikipedia page.)  We have made great progress, but I'm also worried about the "too much, too fast" complex.  I think some Radio spots would be great. 

JC004

Update: I looked on the one HDD and haven't had the chance go get the other from storage yet.  I will let you know.

Woodsy