Time in specialty track requirements

Started by Walkman, November 02, 2009, 04:58:49 AM

Walkman

In order to get a Tech rating, do you still need to be enrolled in that track after you've logged in the required time in track? I'm transitioning from PA to another track, but I have to finishing taking the AFIADL test and then wait the 6-8 weeks for the results to come back to get my Tech rating We've got a new guy assigned as Asst. PAO, and he's got a lot of great experience in the field, so I'm anxious to both get him going on his way and get myself going on my new track.

So if I'm un-enrolled in PA, can I still finish my Tech rating, or do I still need to be "on the books" as PAO until I finish the rating reqs?

(I know you can be enrolled in more than one thing...)

Eclipse

Not necessarily - completion of a Tech rating is at the subjective call of your commander.  If you served enough time as "x" to his satisfaction, that should be enough, regardless of whether you'd taken the tests, etc.

Generally the in-service requirements do not have dependencies or pre-requisites, nor do the staff postings themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2009, 05:03:28 AM
Not necessarily - completion of a Tech rating is at the subjective call of your commander.  If you served enough time as "x" to his satisfaction, that should be enough, regardless of whether you'd taken the tests, etc.
BZZZT! Wrong answer. Each track has REQUIREMENTS for each rating listed in the pamphlet covering the track.

SarDragon

Why disenroll? Remaining in a track w/o progression doesn't seem to make any difference anywhere.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 02, 2009, 05:11:11 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2009, 05:03:28 AM
BZZZT! Wrong answer. Each track has REQUIREMENTS for each rating listed in the pamphlet covering the track.

Yes, and completion of those requirements is the subjective call of the commander. (oh, I said that already).  Some require a person be actually posted in a specific staff job to fulfill them, some only require the commensurate duties be performed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

LOL - and disenrolling from a track takes national intervention.   If anyone knows how to get it off your record at the squadron level, please post it.  ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on November 02, 2009, 05:55:14 AM
LOL - and disenrolling from a track takes national intervention.   If anyone knows how to get it off your record at the squadron level, please post it.

Just send a memo on letterhead to NHQ - they will take care of it without issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

LOL - and disenrolling from a track takes national intervention.   If anyone knows how to get it off your record at the squadron level, please post it.  ;D

+1

Someone at national enrolled me in the recruiting/retention specialty track....I can't make it go away.

As for disenrolling........why bother....you can do as many specialty tracks as you, your squadorn PD officer and your commander feel you can legitimately handle.

If you are in a small squadorn and find yourself wearing several hats.....you should be on the books for each one of those jobs AND you should be enrolled in the specialty track that goes with the job.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

The specialty trac admin module now tracks time elapsed in each rating.  if the track requires time, usually 6 months, it will not let you put in for the next rateing.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 02, 2009, 12:50:25 PM
The specialty trac admin module now tracks time elapsed in each rating.  if the track requires time, usually 6 months, it will not let you put in for the next rateing.

I'm not saying it doesn't, but I'll believe it when I see it - right now there appears to no connection between the admin module and any time in service or other requirements such as an online test, etc.

If it is connected, then that raises a different challenge because in many cases the service requirements may be done at a different echelon than the approving commander, or the member may not have been properly appointed (very common), so at a minimum there needs to be the ability to back-date the appointment or accept hardcopy submissions.

Edit: Misread the post.  Yes, that's correct, for time in specialty, not time in staff.  However I know for a fact that can be adjusted and the initial back dated (at least as far as the last time I did it), so for example if you have someone who qualifies for Senior, but never had a tech rating entered properly, you can do both at the same time.  I've had to clean up a few unit messes like this where paperwork was not done properly.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Commander's have that authority under "specialty track admin" ->"Senior Member Admin"->then simply click delete next to the track.

No reason for NHQ to even look at it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 02, 2009, 12:50:25 PM

But there is an override option.  If the system red flags time and you just forgot to enroll them as none override the time.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Short Field

Quote from: IceNine on November 02, 2009, 03:40:43 PM
If anyone knows how to get it off your record at the squadron level, please post it.  ;D
Commander's have that authority under "specialty track admin" ->"Senior Member Admin"->then simply click delete next to the track.

Thanks!   ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640