ACUT/BCUT Radio Operator Card

Started by vento, April 28, 2009, 05:43:00 PM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 08, 2009, 02:23:20 PM

(That brings me up to a point I just noticed with goCAP.com... Isn't the 100-3 supposed to be password protected only?  i.e. on the NTC website.  ???)

No, all the FOUO information (frequencies, really) were removed and replaced with designators.   The frequencies are now at the password-protected NTC site.

Eclipse

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 08, 2009, 02:23:20 PM
(That brings me up to a point I just noticed with goCAP.com... Isn't the 100-3 supposed to be password protected only?  i.e. on the NTC website.  ???)

CAPR 100-3 is just a procedural regulation, it doesn't contain anything that is FOUO tht I can see.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 08, 2009, 01:53:29 PM
Trivia question (impresses the ladies at parties):  Only 4 ES Specialty Quals do NOT require a minimum of a BCUT:

1. Mission Scanner
2. Air Radiological Monitoring
3. Ground Radiological Monitoring
4. Transport Mission Pilot

I understand the first three but a TMP?  How is he supposed to communicate with a mission base (by regs) if he's flying high bird or doing anything else that requires coordination with another CAP AC or ground station?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 08, 2009, 02:45:28 PM

I understand the first three but a TMP?  How is he supposed to communicate with a mission base (by regs) if he's flying high bird or doing anything else that requires coordination with another CAP AC or ground station?

Good question. 

Eclipse

I just spoke with my Wing DC, and the issue of whether or if they expire (A or B) is a function of the Wing's policies under the regulatory authority granted in 100-1 regarding licensing.  My experience is that it is pretty common for B-Cuts to expire in two years, and A-Cuts to be lifetime membership, but obviously this is not 100% consistent from state to state by any means.

The B-Cut is really intended to be a basic orientation on radio use, and the A-Cut more comprehensive for members who require equipment to be issued, etc.  This is why some states' total training is viewing some slides and completing a locally-produced, SQTR-like set of taskings.

He also indicated that when he took over he intended to make some changes to simplify things for us, but because of the looking of the ICut, which will be a national test done online, decided not to bother rocking the boat for something temporary.

Based on the continued delays in implementing the new licensing schemas, he's going to readdress whether it makes sense to go ahead and make some adjustments.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 08, 2009, 01:53:29 PM
3.  Just because your BCUT is in your OPS QUALS for whatever SQTR doesn't mean that your WG/CC hasn't suspended your ROA priviledges for cause.   

If you WG/CC suspends your ROA priviledges for cause, then he should have followed up and suspended your Ops Quals that require it.

A good solution in eServices would be to set up the ROA/BCUT/ACUT as separate Ops Quals - similar to the ICS courses.  That way, when you get it suspended, it takes out all the ops quals dependent on it.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Short Field

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 08, 2009, 02:45:28 PM
[I understand the first three but a TMP?  How is he supposed to communicate with a mission base (by regs) if he's flying high bird or doing anything else that requires coordination with another CAP AC or ground station?

That is why you need a qualifed MO/MRO aboard to handle CAP comms.  The TMP only needs to talk to ATC or other aircraft via the VHF-AM radios.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

wuzafuzz

Jeez, my ham radio license is good for 10 years, and renewable without taking a new test. 

I rather see ROA's remain good for a long time, only suspending them for cause.  Maybe that will be a part of the new training program. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

Seems to me that one good thing to come out of this discussion is the idea that the requirement to carry an ROA card needs to be dropped.  I agree, lets make it a separte ES qual just like the ICS courses.  Seems to be the easiest solution to all the issues. 

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Short Field on May 08, 2009, 04:59:15 PM
A good solution in eServices would be to set up the ROA/BCUT/ACUT as separate Ops Quals - similar to the ICS courses.  That way, when you get it suspended, it takes out all the ops quals dependent on it.

You beat me to saying this...

Quote from: RiverAux on May 08, 2009, 06:45:15 PM
Seems to me that one good thing to come out of this discussion is the idea that the requirement to carry an ROA card needs to be dropped.  I agree, lets make it a separte ES qual just like the ICS courses.  Seems to be the easiest solution to all the issues.

So what would it take to make this happen? I really see this as a win/win for anyone involved at any level.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org