TLC or UCC = AFIADL-00013

Started by MIKE, May 21, 2007, 09:30:25 PM

MIKE

Quote from: Psicorp on May 21, 2007, 09:12:27 PM
Quote from: Pylon on May 21, 2007, 07:15:23 PM
Quote from: MIKE on May 21, 2007, 07:12:59 PM
Off topic:  TLC replaces the requirement for AFIADL-00013?  ???

Off topic: That change is coming down the pipeline as recently announced at the NYWG Conference this month.  Members will be able to substitute TLC or UCC for AFIADL-13 requirements, with retroactive application to those who take TLC or UCC now.  My members had been briefed about this, so they are aware it's not yet official, but it is coming.

Memorize four volumes of CAP & AF literature or take a weekend course...hmm...that's a tough decision.  And to think I actually have the AFIADL exam waiting for me to take it.   I have till Sept, so I might just wait. I've been wanting to take the TLC anyway.

Good idea or bad idea?  Having already taken TLC and AFIADL-00013 my gut reaction to this is bad idea.  Discuss.
Mike Johnston

arajca

Bas idea. TLC covers different material and has a cadet-program heavy tilt (which is entirely appropriate for TLC). UCC relies to a degree on the notion that the student has some background on CAP that was gained from...AFIADL 13.

mikeylikey

Real Bad Idea.  How exactly can TLC replace 13?  Unless they spend an entire day addressing everything in the 13 course books at the TLC then there is no way.  I would rather see all of the resident classes moved to ONLINE!  Come on......go online print out or read the material take two weeks learning and take a test at the end ONLINE!  Lets move CAP into the Twenty-First Century. 
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

They are totally different topics.  I think someone got some bad intel....

Psicorp

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 21, 2007, 09:37:25 PM
Real Bad Idea.  How exactly can TLC replace 13?  Unless they spend an entire day addressing everything in the 13 course books at the TLC then there is no way.  I would rather see all of the resident classes moved to ONLINE!  Come on......go online print out or read the material take two weeks learning and take a test at the end ONLINE!  Lets move CAP into the Twenty-First Century. 

But that would mean making the 13 an open book exam.  Most of the information is stuff you're supposed to know, not just be able to look up.

Personally I think a lot of the 13 stuff should be moved to Level 1 material.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

DrDave

Bad intel.

As I understand the proposal, TLC and UCC will be ADDED to the list of courses required for certain Level III and IV professional development requirements (i.e. like serving as staff). 

I.e. in addition to SLS, CLC, SOS, RSC, etc.

Nowhere have I seen it listed as replacements for ECI 13.

As already mentioned, they're two different things entirely. 

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Eclipse

Bad idea - and making the UCC mandatory for advancement is too.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 22, 2007, 01:27:04 AM
Bad idea - and making the UCC mandatory for advancement is too.

Gotta agree on that one. In CAWG, you gotta either be a UC, or designated to be one within 12 months to even take the course.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SJFedor

Maybe TLC+SLS+UCC= AFIADL13, but even then, that's a stretch, and SLS's curriculim would need to be done a lot better.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

Quote from: SJFedor on May 22, 2007, 02:24:29 AM
Maybe TLC+SLS+UCC= AFIADL13, but even then, that's a stretch, and SLS's curriculim would need to be done a lot better.

Maybe 10 years as a Cadet (Earhart)+Military Officer+3 years as a Senior Member+$40.00 in dues=SLS, CLS, and AFIADL13.  However thats for another discussion. 
What's up monkeys?

ZigZag911

Replacing the AFIADL 0013 with TLC or UCC is a poor idea.

Letting these course be part of a 'menu' of choices to fulfill Levels 3,4,5 is a much better idea.

Perhaps Es qualification (aircrew/GTM or above, or mission manager above the MRO/MSA level) ought also be part of any such 'menu'.

Eclipse

Quote from: SJFedor on May 22, 2007, 02:24:29 AM

The new SLS / CLC is >much< better than the old one, we just did one this last weekend.

I'll post shortly in a new thread.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

How did that Course go Mr. Williams? I would have gone to the one at Peoria but Chicago was a bit too far to drive given the way gasoline is at the moment.

As for my opinion of SLS and AFIADL 13 Id say that the 13 should be encouraged as an immediate precursor to or follow-up for SLS.
Both should be a Level 1 Requirement.

UCC Ive no experience with -yet- And I dont believe Ive ever heard of TLC.
... > moves off to check the PD webpage at NHQ <

-done, came back to add post script--
Yeah pair the 13 up with SLS at Lvl 1 and pair up the CLC with either, GTL/GBD, Mission Pilot,  UCC or TLC - your choice

.... thoughts? suggestions? flames?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 22, 2007, 05:52:56 AM
How did that Course go Mr. Williams? I would have gone to the one at Peoria but Chicago was a bit too far to drive given the way gasoline is at the moment.

As for my opinion of SLS and AFIADL 13 Id say that the 13 should be encouraged as an immediate precursor to or follow-up for SLS.
Both should be a Level 1 Requirement.

UCC Ive no experience with -yet- And I dont believe Ive ever heard of TLC.
... > moves off to check the PD webpage at NHQ <

-done, came back to add post script--
Yeah pair the 13 up with SLS at Lvl 1 and pair up the CLC with either, GTL/GBD, Mission Pilot,  UCC or TLC - your choice

.... thoughts? suggestions? flames?

Not a bad idea - we're looking to fast-track members from Level 1 to SLS to AFIDL 13 in the first six months.  Then they are prepped through Captain PD-wise (just participation, really from there), and can't use the excuse that they don't know the "CAP Way".

I'll try and get the thread about the new curriculum up today.

"That Others May Zoom"