Accessing Multiple Bases using DBIDS?

Started by antdetroitwallyball, February 28, 2014, 07:28:15 PM

antdetroitwallyball

I have a question for some of the CAPers who live in different parts of the country. Effective tommorow, my local ANG base will be implementing the DBIDs system. As I have found out, apparently my local base is late in getting this system, as a simple search of these boards indicates that the DBIDS system has been in place elsewhere in the country for quite some time.

My base issued me a DBIDs card. Awesome, because now I can continue to access my local exchange for uniform items, etc. just as I did previously.

However, my squadron will likely be making a "field trip" to an air museum on the otherside of the state come spring. On the way, we were planning on stopping by another base to allow any of our members to have an opportunity to pick up any needed uniform items. My question is: My current DBIDS card seems to indicate I have access to only my local base that issued me the card. How does this work if I wish to access a different installation for which I don't have a DBIDS card? Do other bases "recognize" each other's DBIDs cards?

I was hoping someone else in CAP has already thought of this issue and could perhaps comment here. Thanks again. :)

Eclipse

You will need to coordinate locally and directly with that installation.  CAP is not part of DBIDs.

Depending on the base and local policy, you might need to be on an access list, coordinate with a local CC, or even request permission
from an LRADO.

Also, your DBIDs card probably shouldn't be used to get anyone else on base, certainly not a large group.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Even if a base uses DBIDS, they will still allow people on with proper ID.  If you're allowed on base, you're allowed on base, with or without a DBIDS card.

There are times when DBIDS will be down (inoperable), so there's the fall back of picture ID.
Serving since 1987.

antdetroitwallyball

The issue was never that I was trying to get others onto a base using my own card, the issue was that my local base said, "from now on Aux/CAP id cards alone will not grant you base access here." The new rule is, you must present BOTH a current AUX/CAP id card AND a current DBIDs card to access the base. Why both? Because they want to make sure that you are still currently a member in your organization and at the same time, current with the DBIDs requirements. Both cards need to be unexpired.

In the old days, I would assume that most bases in my state would accept the CAP ID card alone, since CAP has a pretty decent presence here. My question is, what if all the bases here go to the DBIDs systems, do I have to get a seperate DBIDs card for each base now?

In reality, I won't regularly have a need to access more than one exchange, but in cases where we load up the CAP van and head accross the state for a trip, it might be a good opportunity to let qualified members stop by the base to pick up needed uniform items.

From your responses, I'm basically getting that, if all the bases here switch to the DBIDS system, access to all of the bases for exchange purposes might be more limited than they used to be, since previously, most bases simply accepted the CAP ID by itself, whereas now, some bases might required a location-specific DBIDs card that out-of-town members may not have. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on February 28, 2014, 07:51:07 PM"from now on Aux/CAP id cards alone will not grant you base access here."

"Here" (there is the keyword).

It's different all over, whether a base issues local credentials to CAP members varies by base, service, and even who the commander
of the base is.

There's no universal policy.

By the text of the AFIs, and reciprocal agreements between services, a CAP member need only present valid credentials
at the time of entrance.  Anything beyond that needs to be addressed at the VC when you are standing there.

Considering the regulations on what CAP members can buy, and the current state of the CAP uniform, the value of
the MCSS' isn't all that high these days unless you need dress uniform parts.

If you have a billet on base, or are attending an activity, the rules are different, but need to be addressed specifically
to that situation.

"That Others May Zoom"

antdetroitwallyball

Hmmmm....okay.. I'm starting to make sense of this now.

So basically, the other bases in my state could switch to the DBIDs system, and yet be like, "Hey, CAPer's: you guys are still good to go with just your CAP ID. No DBIDs cards for you are required."

I guess my mistake was that I assumed that, if a base switched to the DBIDs system, that by universal DOD policy, anyone accessing the base would be required to have a DBIDs card in addition to, or in place of their original form of accessing idenitification.

Thanks for clearing things up. I appreciate it. :)

a2capt

If you show up at a base as part of an activity, you can be pretty sure that access has been worked out, and you've been extended the needed information. If the card issued to you is for access to a particular facility, then I would not be presenting it initially when expressing desire to access another facility.  If a CAP unit meets there, the chances that they know what that card is has increased by a lot :)

As for them scanning the DBIDS card, yes, you'll show up, and it will say who granted the access, and to what range of facilities you are afforded. That's why I wouldn't plunk it out if you know it's not for that base.

Every one of these places is different. With good reason. :)

Huey Driver

My DBIDS card has never gotten me on a base except the base of its issuance. It is only recognized for my local base. Also at my local base, they make the DBIDS card expire when your CAP ID expires. That being said, they don't need to check your CAP ID to see if you're still current.

Anywhere else I've been, they just ask for CAP IDs at the gate. Some places will ask for a guest list ahead of time, though, and some won't. It varies from place to place, gate to gate, shift to shift, and person to person.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

antdetroitwallyball

Yup. I'm still learning my way around these USAF bases. I've been a member of the CGAUX for awhile, and accessing any USCG installation has never been an issue. As far as I know, CGAUX members have "inherent" access to all forms of CG bases/stations/etc. without needing to check ahead of time if the unit commander likes auxies.

Of course, if you are trying to access a particular CG facility/unit and you don't really have a legit, specific reason to do so, you're going to have some issues, but I think you get the point. The CG is small enough where you will easily get noticed and watched if you are trying to get away with something. I understand, of course, the USAF is significantly larger.

So, I, as a newly minted CAP member, have learned that I access is really determined on a case by case basis. Not a problem, of course. Rules are Rules. And base access is 100% a privelage, not a right. I just need to make sure I understand the rules and the system.. :)

SarDragon

Here's a bit of a parallel f'rinstance-

I am retired Navy. There are six military installations in San Diego that I regularly visit, four Navy, and two USMC. Each one of them has different gate procedures. At some, my ID is sufficient, with or without a base sticker. At another, even with an ID, I need to get a visitors pass if I'm in an unstickered vehicle. At another, I have to take my ID out of my wallet and hand it to the gate guard, who may or may not scan it. That's just for a regular retired military person. It gets even worse for civilian types.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret