Main Menu

A pleasant surprise

Started by DrKem, January 27, 2014, 12:17:23 PM

DrKem

While reading the regulations for another task, my eye happened to drop to Chapter 9 of CAPR 50-17, titled "Special Recognition Programs".  In 1966, I received the Amelia Earhart Award #1105.  Yes, that is a very low number indeed and yes I'm bragging about the low number.  With this award, I am automatically eligible for the Technician rating of the Cadet Programs Specialty Track.  With this rating, I will have completed the Level II Achievement of the PD program.  Moral of the story?  Read and know the regulations.  We are all of us, responsible for your own professional development.  Be SAFE!
Dr. Kem Fronabarger, Major CAP
SC Wing Director of Professional Development
Certificate of Proficiency, 13 Jul 1964
Amelia Earhart Award #1105, 11 Mar 1966

EMT-83

While you certainly have "checked the box" to earn the Technician rating, the program has changed in the last 48 years. Now it's time to go back and learn about the program you're taking credit for.

Storm Chaser

+1. As a former cadet in the late 80s/early 90s, I can confirm that the Cadet Programs have changed a lot.

Not only that, the new CAPP 216 has significant changes to the Technician Rating, to include the addition of DDR requirements. If you just came back to CAP or to working with CP, I strongly recommend that you try to learn as much as you can about the new programs, as your new rating may not match your level of experience and/or knowledge.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 27, 2014, 01:40:52 PM
While you certainly have "checked the box" to earn the Technician rating, the program has changed in the last 48 years. Now it's time to go back and learn about the program you're taking credit for.

What EMT-83 said.

Yes.  My first Squadron CC, who later became a Wing King, had those ribbons indicated from his cadet days but wore them mostly for historical purposes.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

I went off to college on 2008 as an Earhart Cadet, and there were quite a few changes in the program by the time I reengaged in 2012.

Certainly worth getting current if it's something you will be pursuing.

Eclipse

So this is tough, and if I had to make the decision as a CC, I'm not sure what I would do.

I went and checked, and there's no distinction between a '60's-era Earhart and a '00's-era Earhart,
but someone whose most current CP experience happened while the Dick Van Dyke show was still
in its first run is going to have little-to-no idea regarding the administration of the CP as it exists today,
and CP administration is the focus of the CP tech rating (at least up until the most current release of the
rating).

So this meets the letter, but I don't know about the intent.  I can't imagine that NHQ intended for
40+ year old Earharts to be included.  One could conjecture that the intent was to provide
credit as an encouragement for current cadets to dark-side transition.

Frankly, even that is a stretch.  I'd hazard even the average Spaatz has little clue as to
running a unit, and certainly not at the level of a pass to SLS, and OBC.

On the one hand it affects so few as to be a relative non-issue, and any Earhart will know more the
the average slick-sleeve, so there you go.

After thinking it through, at a minimum, I would probably insure that the member had at least a working
knowledge of the current CP before clicking this.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2014, 09:02:46 PM
So this meets the letter, but I don't know about the intent.  I can't imagine that NHQ intended for
40+ year old Earharts to be included.  One could conjecture that the intent was to provide
I just re-read the new CAPR 50-17. It specifically states "This applies to all senior members who earned certain achievements as former cadets, regardless of the dates of their cadet memberships." So I believe they DID mean to include 40+ year old Earharts.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: arajca on January 27, 2014, 09:39:10 PM
I just re-read the new CAPR 50-17. It specifically states "This applies to all senior members who earned certain achievements as former cadets, regardless of the dates of their cadet memberships." So I believe they DID mean to include 40+ year old Earharts.

You are correct. However, section 9-1.b states the following:

Quote from: CAPR 50-17
Official recognition of these achievements will be awarded on an individual basis. Former cadets who qualify for these awards should submit a written request, approved by their commander, to NHQ/DPR...

It seems to me that award of these special recognition ratings is still subject to unit commander's approval.

By the way, I'm not oppose to awarding these to former Earhart or higher cadets. But I would certainly want to ensure that they at least have a "working knowledge" of the Cadet Programs, as Eclipse stated earlier, before approving it.

Patterson

I went and checked, and there's no distinction between a '60's-era Earhart and a '00's-era Earhart,
but someone whose most current CP experience happened while the Dick Van Dyke show was still
in its first run is going to have little-to-no idea regarding the administration of the CP as it exists today,
and CP administration is the focus of the CP tech rating (at least up until the most current release of the
rating).

Agreed, though at a different vantage it is apparent the amount of effort and work required by a Cadet to attain an Earhart during the 1960s as compared to today is amazing!  The old Cadet regulations are out there, I would suggest to any Cadet Programs Officer to take a few minutes and look at the evolution if the program as a whole. (I believe we require so much less of Cadets, specifically Cadet Officers today as compared to any other period).

All being said and done if we get former members with the right motives to return to CAP, the awarding of an advanced rating for previous achievements may be worthwhile.

DrKem

Your collective comments and cautions are absolutely correct.  I was a Cadet Lt. Col. in the 1960's, went away, had a career and am now retired and have entered into CAP as a Senior.  In addition, I have received a significant grade advancement based on my career, 30 years as a professor at a university.  While the regulations are explicit and offer many benefits to former cadets and professionals, that does not mean that I should not review, update, and learn.  As most "old timers" will tell you, this organization has evolved over the last 40 years.  So what can a Senior Member who was a cadet in the '60's offer a Squadron?  I have a perspective of the CAP and a wealth of knowledge to offer.  So what should a Senior Member who was a cadet in the '60's do?  Exactly what you folks are saying: learn, update, learn, update, learn, learn, learn

In my humble opinion, there is absolutely no excuse to "be out of date".  I may have something to offer the CAP, but the CAP has far more to offer me in return.  Thank you for the great comments!!!!

Semper vigilans

Papabird

Quote from: DrKem on January 28, 2014, 01:05:11 PM
In my humble opinion, there is absolutely no excuse to "be out of date".  I may have something to offer the CAP, but the CAP has far more to offer me in return.  Thank you for the great comments!!!!

:clap: +1
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

pascocap2002

Semper vigilans

I agree 100% with this and no matter if you are a former cadet from the 60's or a current cadet or Officer, we should always be learning.

GroundHawg

Your collective comments and cautions are absolutely correct.  I was a Cadet Lt. Col. in the 1960's, went away, had a career and am now retired and have entered into CAP as a Senior.  In addition, I have received a significant grade advancement based on my career, 30 years as a professor at a university.  While the regulations are explicit and offer many benefits to former cadets and professionals, that does not mean that I should not review, update, and learn.  As most "old timers" will tell you, this organization has evolved over the last 40 years.  So what can a Senior Member who was a cadet in the '60's offer a Squadron?  I have a perspective of the CAP and a wealth of knowledge to offer.  So what should a Senior Member who was a cadet in the '60's do?  Exactly what you folks are saying: learn, update, learn, update, learn, learn, learn

Semper vigilans

I'm going to be badgering you for advice on PHD pros and cons. Its a big step and I'm scared.

Shawn W.

QuoteRead and know the regulations.  We are all of us, responsible for your own professional development.  Be SAFE!

+1

As a former 9 yr vet of PDO and 17 years in CAP, That stament is absolutely true. Your destiny is your own... Of course, When I was a PDO I did all in my power to help people whenever possible.

Cheers.

Jaison009

DrKem,
I too am a Earhart Award recipient, only from the 00s (10946). Despite the fact that I had advanced status, I still wanted to read all the regulations for CP and then took the Technician exam. Even if you are given credit for it, I would read up and take the Technician exam. The CP is so much different now then in the world I was a Cadet in so I can only imagine how different it is for you. I would do it even if it is just for yourself. Congrats on the award all those years ago and welcome back.   :clap: :clap:

DrKem

Quote from: Jaison009 on January 30, 2014, 05:12:18 AM
DrKem,
I too am a Earhart Award recipient, only from the 00s (10946). Despite the fact that I had advanced status, I still wanted to read all the regulations for CP and then took the Technician exam. Even if you are given credit for it, I would read up and take the Technician exam. The CP is so much different now then in the world I was a Cadet in so I can only imagine how different it is for you. I would do it even if it is just for yourself. Congrats on the award all those years ago and welcome back.   :clap: :clap:

I couldn't agree more with your comments.  In fact, I passed the CP Technician exam before I submitted my petition.  While CAP recognizes past accomplishments with rewards like this, we should still expect each and every member to meet the highest standards of training, performance and conduct in today's organization.  With humility, we accept our rewards, but with pride, we train to be better leaders.

Storm Chaser

^ As a former Earhart cadet (#6096), I agree 100%.

husker

Storm, what year did you receive yours?  I'm 5040 (1990)
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

Storm Chaser

I received mine in June 1992.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 31, 2014, 05:09:51 AM
I received mine in June 1992.

Earhart Award: 13815 (30 Mar 2007)

I recently (Nov 2013) clicked out a cadet in my unit - 16300.

So we're talking 2485 cadets in between us, over 6 years 8 months time.

And just to add this, because I think it is awesome:
25 years apart:

Yes, I know, mine is tainted with HWSRN's signature.

Our current active Earhart recipients in the unit: