Active Member or Inactive Member?

Started by Luis R. Ramos, July 27, 2012, 03:36:08 PM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2012, 03:03:41 PM
The reason is irrelevant - either you're participating or you aren't, and all those excuses you list are the exact reason for putting people into Patron status - they basically "freeze" in place while relieving the burden from themselves and their units from paying attention to them, and when they come back, they have to be re-checked by the FBI.  That's a good thing.  As mentioned, sometimes people go inactive for reasons we need to be aware of.

Active members have access to any number of resources and facilities, CAP and military.  As a commander, the last thing I want is someone I've never met wandering around with an active ID and my being responsible for his CAP activities - because that's the deal - despite many commanders and members acting otherwise, Unit CC's are supposed to be held responsible for the actions of their members.

I think many of the leadership (as well as other members that care), do have a concern that ANY CAP member entering a military installation by using their CAP ID card is going to behave and not do anything that will discredit CAP.  IF one has a member that stops showing up and can't be contacted or won't return calls, surely PATRON status is the nice way to go, at the very least for realistic staffing statistics.   Otherwise for doing nothing that member gets some benefits (including joining the aero club).  HOWEVER, I'm not sure that if someone produced a "patron" status CAP ID card if they would be prohibited from entering a military installation, since patron members can be invited to attend functions anyways.
RM     

mikebank

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2012, 08:17:16 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 28, 2012, 07:57:23 PM
Is that CAP's super-secret research facility? >:D

Need to know.

I will say there's a lot of gray signs in the hallways.

....or signs of Grays in the hallways?
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

abdsp51

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 28, 2012, 09:15:15 PM
I think many of the leadership (as well as other members that care), do have a concern that ANY CAP member entering a military installation by using their CAP ID card is going to behave and not do anything that will discredit CAP.  IF one has a member that stops showing up and can't be contacted or won't return calls, surely PATRON status is the nice way to go, at the very least for realistic staffing statistics.   Otherwise for doing nothing that member gets some benefits (including joining the aero club).  HOWEVER, I'm not sure that if someone produced a "patron" status CAP ID card if they would be prohibited from entering a military installation, since patron members can be invited to attend functions anyways.
RM     

That is provided they are even allowed onto the installation based off of their CAP ID to begin with.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2012, 07:32:28 PM
This business of "I got super busy / sick / other..." "...so I dropped off the radar what's it to you?..." Doesn't fly.

I was in a Squadron with lineage to WWII so needless to say we had members who are members of the greatest generation.

We would get a newbie admin type and once they been around for awhile they want to start transferring and dropping members. "Skipper, if we transfer Spaatz, Yeager and Feik, we will have 100% on the AEPSM!" So I am like, "are you serious?" "Skipper, they did not RSVP to the Squadron BBQ either!!!"

For some people CAP is the greatest thing in their life. I have been to homes where it could be a CAP museum or a shrine to CAP.

I am concerned how a CAP member can judge other CAP members. I personally think it is petty or at its worse, mean spirited.

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 29, 2012, 04:19:33 PM
I am concerned how a CAP member can judge other CAP members. I personally think it is petty or at its worse, mean spirited.

Who's judging anything?  This is an objective standard.

"You're either here, or you're not."- to whatever degree is acceptable by the respective commander.

How does being in the "Greatest Generation" impact that in any way?

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2012, 04:34:41 PM

How does being in the "Greatest Generation" impact that in any way?

Because they are now 80 - 90 years old.  I guess the guy we presented the 50 year certificate to at the nursing home last spring should have been 2b'ed in your book.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Eclipse

Quote from: AirDX on July 29, 2012, 04:54:54 PM
Because they are now 80 - 90 years old.  I guess the guy we presented the 50 year certificate to at the nursing home last spring should have been 2b'ed in your book.

No.

He should have been made a 50-year member or put in patron status.  Either is appropriate, neither is disrespectful, the latter is probably the correct choice - then he can still participate when invited, be honored whenever anyone sees fit, and not cause issues on the reports.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Luis R. Ramos

Well, the issue is now solving itself.

As to why am I posting this here... My (new) Squadron commander wanted me to. Why was I concerned? He wanted to hear my side as squadron Personnel and Admin Officer! I gave it to him, and I wanted to see other's viewpoints. Is there anything wrong with that? I thought that was the purpose of this board, to hear other's opinions on issues affecting their work.

eServices did not have the complete contact information. The Personnel file was not in the squadron, nor he was a cadet as I assumed after I read a message from the former commander. Unlike other members who do not show at the squadron but talk to the commander about why they do not, or do squadron work at home, this member did not.

Some of you assumed beyond what I posted.

If there had been a health issue, he could still have answered the commander!

The only one that could contact him was the former commander. The new commander wanted to transfer him without input from the former commander but I included her in the memos!

She stated he will be moving to another state, so the new commander stated "we will wait some time, I am not transferring him." So I am letting the issue alone.

Thank you all for the input.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on July 31, 2012, 05:09:45 AM
The Personnel file was not in the squadron

This, in and of itself, is a relatively serious violation of administrative regs - it would be a finding on a CI.

The only one that could contact him was the former commander. The new commander wanted to transfer him without input from the former commander but I included her in the memos!

That's a questionable decision on your part - on the one hand there's the balance of just getting things done quickly and having all the information
possible.  On the other there's the usurping of your CC's authority.  If the relationship with the former CC is benevolent, then its likely a push, but something to consider.

Personally, I would not be excited about a staffer involving prior commanders without my being consulted first.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

As to why am I posting this here... My (new) Squadron commander wanted me to. Why was I concerned? He wanted to hear my side as squadron Personnel and Admin Officer! I gave it to him, and I wanted to see other's viewpoints. Is there anything wrong with that? I thought that was the purpose of this board, to hear other's opinions on issues affecting their work.

Everyone here as an opinion. We have a lot of former and present Commanders from the different levels. We have a lot of Master rated Admin and Personnel officers as well as newbies and do not forget the variety of know it alls too.

It is always best to run questions by others. Some items are common and others are unique to certain situations. You are doing what you are suppose to and doing a good job too.   :clap: