Main Menu

Armed CAP Members

Started by Hardshell Clam, October 24, 2011, 10:58:28 PM

lordmonar

With 50 states, one territory, on federal district, hundreds of counties and thousands of cities......and loose interpetation of the laws/regs.....I am 99.999% positive that someone out there convinced his wing commander that he needed to carry 24/7.

Or else they would never had made that change to the regulation in the first place (it was only a couple of years ago).

But like many other things in CAP......there is no way to pull up that data.....and for the most part the individuals involved probably don't go around advertising it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

If I was CAP NHQ, I would probably want to have a file of letters of authorization to carry while on CAP duty that were issued by Wing Commanders.  If for no other reason than to know how big an issue that this actually is. 

lordmonar

You would think....but that is not how the regulation is written.

It only says you need written authorisation from the wing king....that could be a simple e-mail.

TO: Wing King

Boss, Can I carry my duty weapon?

TO: Joe

Yes.

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on October 28, 2011, 12:41:17 AM
With 50 states, one territory, on federal district, hundreds of counties and thousands of cities......and loose interpetation of the laws/regs.....I am 99.999% positive that someone out there convinced his wing commander that he needed to carry 24/7.

Or else they would never had made that change to the regulation in the first place (it was only a couple of years ago).

But like many other things in CAP......there is no way to pull up that data.....and for the most part the individuals involved probably don't go around advertising it.
When exactly was this changed? I have a sneaking suspicion but need to know when it came into effect.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cap235629

when a certain law enforcement official became National Commander
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on October 28, 2011, 12:49:08 AM
You would think....but that is not how the regulation is written.
I didn't say it was written that way.  Frankly, I don't think you would need to put such a requirement in the regulation.  National Commander orders Wing Commanders to forward him a copy of any authorizations.  No big deal.

lordmonar

Yes...it was during HWSNBN's tenure.....Can't remember the year of the NB...but I remember reading about in the agenda.

We may have even debated here on CT or CS.

davidsinn

Quote from: cap235629 on October 28, 2011, 12:52:14 AM
when a certain law enforcement official became National Commander

I thought so. There probably isn't a law anywhere that requires this exemption.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

I have olde E-regs all the way back to 2002, but they're on a different computer. I'll look it up and post the results later tonight.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

indygreg

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2011, 02:29:11 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on October 25, 2011, 02:22:07 AM
Quote from: titanII on October 25, 2011, 02:19:28 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 25, 2011, 02:13:25 AM
The only thing that comes to mind is wild animals...(for Ground teams)
IMO there are better alternatives for this purpose: "bear spray," i.e. pepper spray.

If you are close enough to spray a bear with pepper spray, you are dinner.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area.  People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Major Lord

You might have to explain to cadets and younger members what "Scat " was. (Note to anyone not a coffeehouse beatnik type; "Scat was like "RAP" for another generation) Although RAP is the scatological folk music of a newer generation. Its not well known but " RAP"  is actually an acronym. It stands for "Retards Attempting Poetry. Scat was more like "speaking in tongues" Awesome cartoon! Did you just do that?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

^ One of the best high school English classes ever was when we reviewed words like this.  The conversations were "colorful" for weeks after.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Sorry that I'm late to this thread. 
To HARDSHELL CLAM and RM:
I happen to pack a M-9 everywhere I go, even to the latrine in my own home, and I also have a M-249 in my 72 hr gear with 5 porkchops.  I also carry 10 extra 30rd magazines for it.  Just in case ::)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spaceman3750

Your 72hr gear must weigh more than you do... >:D

Buzz

Quote from: davidsinn on October 28, 2011, 12:35:36 AM
Can you cite the law that requires said person to carry?

If it becomes necessary, yes.

Assuaging your curiosity doesn't qualify as "necessary."

johnnyb47

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

Quote from: Buzz on October 28, 2011, 07:15:13 PM

Nice try.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Buzz on October 28, 2011, 07:15:13 PM

You made the claim. Back it up. Otherwise it's just anonymous internet BS.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flying Pig

I contacted our District Attorney and the local US Attorney and have talked to agents that fly with me.  FBI, USSS, DEA, HSI/ICE, NCIS, OSI, CID, BNE to name a FEW (No, FEW isnt an agency ;D)

Nobody knows of any LE agency that is mandated by law to carry 24/7.  Maybe there is a state law respective to that state, but not federal.  Law, not department policy.  If your department policy requires it, then have a discussion with your chain of command, explain the need, and I would have to presume it wouldnt be an issue.

Although if your that knee deep in the S--T that you need to be strapped 24/7, I dont know if I want you near me! >:D

Flying Pig

Maybe Ned can ellaborate.

If there was a law that required an LE officer to carry a firearm 24/7, there would have to be a penalty if they were caught unarmed?  I really cant see a cop being cited, fined, etc for not carrying off duty.  Poor guy at the beach with his family and he gets hooked by the State Parks Police for not having his duty weapon !  That would be awesome!