Main Menu

Senior Member title change

Started by captrncap, September 06, 2006, 05:34:37 AM

captrncap

I remember reading that Senior Members are now called "Officers" but I can't find the actual letter from the National Commander. Can someone point me in the right direction or provide a link? Thank you.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

ncc1912

Quote from: MIKE on September 06, 2006, 01:42:05 PM
See attached:

As per NHQ CAP/DV, please note that this is not a Policy Directive/Letter and, therefore, does not dictate policy.  It is merely written as a suggestion.

However, as a recruiter, I suggest you heed the advice when working with outside organizations.  :D
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

mikeylikey

When introducing members of my Squadron I always said "these are my Officers" or "these are our Cadets".  Officer sounds way so much better than Senior Member! 
What's up monkeys?

flyguy06

I read this letter for the first time tonight at our squadron meeting. I also read how they changed the uniform yet again.

Dave J

And how about our senior members who willingly and proudly hold the CAP grades of SSgt thru CMSgt.  Call one of them and "officer" and they'll tell ya what they think of the idea.  >:(

flapsUP

"Officer" is the generic, like the police officer who happens to be a Sgt. not "officer" as in rank.  Following the same logic, the inclusive of Wing= "the Patrol" rather than "CAP"??

Major_Chuck

The whole term "senior member" is offensive and needs to be dropped from our lexicon.  The move by TP to have us use the term "officer" when addressing those outside of CAP was a step in the right direction.

For myself.  I don't use the term "senior member" at all if I can avoid it.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Psicorp

Quote from: Dave J on November 21, 2006, 09:25:50 AM
And how about our senior members who willingly and proudly hold the CAP grades of SSgt thru CMSgt.  Call one of them and "officer" and they'll tell ya what they think of the idea.  >:(

Even though SSgt thru CMSgt are NCOs which stands for Non-Commissioned Officer?

I think the easier way to get around it would be to say, "These are my Officers and Staff..."
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

shorning

Quote from: Psicorp on November 21, 2006, 04:46:18 PM
I think the easier way to get around it would be to say, "These are my Officers and Staff..."

Officer can be (and are) staff too.

MIKE

I don't care for the term as used... Does seem to be used in the law enforcement context.  I don't like senior member either, I was hoping for Auxiliarist, kind of like Reservist... but that won't fly.
Mike Johnston

shorning

Personally, I don't mind the term "senior member".  Although the topic does provide a nice distraction from bigger issues in CAP.

MIKE

Quote from: shorning on November 21, 2006, 06:21:14 PM
Although the topic does provide a nice distraction from bigger issues in CAP.

You mean uniforms right?  ;D
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: MIKE on November 21, 2006, 06:23:25 PM
Quote from: shorning on November 21, 2006, 06:21:14 PM
Although the topic does provide a nice distraction from bigger issues in CAP.

You mean uniforms right?  ;D

Uniforms...the other great detractor.

Get members discussing snappy titles and nifty uniforms and they tend to forget about other issues.

Camas

How about something like this?

Senior member officer or flight officer - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) Officer
                  Senior Member NCO - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) Non-commissioned Officer
          Senior Member w/o Grade - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) member
                              Cadet    -   Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) cadet

Thoughts?

Ned

Quote from: Camas on November 21, 2006, 06:51:24 PM
How about something like this?

Senior member officer or flight officer - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) Officer
                  Senior Member NCO - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) Non-commissioned Officer
          Senior Member w/o Grade - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) member
                              Cadet    -   Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) cadet

Thoughts?

Just expand it a little to accurately reflect status:

cadet officer or flight officer - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) Cadet Officer
cadet NCO - Civil Air Patrol Cadet (or CAP) Non-commissioned Officer
Cadet w/o grade - Civil Air Patrol (or CAP) cadet member

DNall

Obviously this is the kind of thing that the Nat CC shouldn't issue an emergency order on because it isn't an emergency, but I'd expect it to show up in front of the national board at some point. I'd get used to it if I were you.

I'd also get used to officer candidate for SM w/o grade. I'm pretty sure that's working its way up now in conjunction with this "suggestion."