C/AB Uniforms

Started by davidsinn, August 04, 2009, 04:38:38 PM

davidsinn

I've heard that some units make C/AB's wear their uniform with the top buttons secured. My question is why?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on August 04, 2009, 04:38:38 PM
I've heard that some units make C/AB's wear their uniform with the top buttons secured. My question is why?

On which uniform?  The FCU service dress? 

With a tie?

Its certainly against regs, sounds like "hardkewl" nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2009, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 04, 2009, 04:38:38 PM

On which uniform?  The FCU service dress? 

With a tie?

Its certainly against regs, sounds like "hardkewl" nonsense.

Sorry. BDU. It came from a comment on one of the gallery pics of a member.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Still sounds silly, first I've ever heard of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2009, 04:59:17 PM
Still sounds silly, first I've ever heard of it.
http://captalk.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=5#com21 Makes even less sense then putting the basics in brown tshirts while the rest of the unit wears black. At least that while dumb, (somewhat) follows the regs.

In my unit the basics wear the bdu with cutouts, both tapes, wing patch(INWG 39-1sup), flag and top button undone. Oh and we let them wear the inexpensive black "t" they can get at Walmart.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ricks

It probably comes from the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" wherein the officer recruits have their fatigues buttoned all the way up. It is amazing how many cadets take their lead from movies.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on August 04, 2009, 05:08:05 PM
In my unit the basics wear the bdu with cutouts, both tapes, wing patch(INWG 39-1sup), flag and top button undone. Oh and we let them wear the inexpensive black "t" they can get at Walmart.

Wait...you have them wear the uniform correctly?  What kind of weird logic is that?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 04, 2009, 05:20:55 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 04, 2009, 05:08:05 PM

Wait...you have them wear the uniform correctly?  What kind of weird logic is that?

You laugh but I've seen and heard of some weird stuff man. Not in my unit. Not while I'm running the cadet program. Did I mention they are not allowed to wear the uniform until they have all the insignia on it and possess boots and a BDU cap?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Larry Mangum

California is the third state I have lived in sicne I joined CAP and it is the first state I have run across that makes new cadets wear a "recruit" uniform until they have completed  a basic training and earned their curry. This uniform consists of black or Navy slacks(not exactly sure on the color) and a white dress shirt, black belt and dress shoes. 
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

jimmydeanno

I could see a unit doing that.  Simply because they'd rather have th :)em wear the uniform correctly, or not at all.  I think it reinforces the lesson of wearing your uniform properly.

I'd rather have a unit do this than have them create some modified BDU techniques. Just sayin'.

:)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: Who_knows? on August 04, 2009, 05:26:59 PM
California is the third state I have lived in sicne I joined CAP and it is the first state I have run across that makes new cadets wear a "recruit" uniform until they have completed  a basic training and earned their curry. This uniform consists of black or Navy slacks(not exactly sure on the color) and a white dress shirt, black belt and dress shoes.

How do you earn your Curry without demonstrating that you can wear the uniform correctly?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

We do that here for cadets who haven't received their FCU yet, but I have to ask, if you don't let them wear  their uniform until after Curry, how do they earn it, since part of Curry is proper uniform wear?

^ Dave beat me to it.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

^It also defeats the purpose of having the C/AB collar insignia...

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 04, 2009, 05:46:31 PM
^It also defeats the purpose of having the C/AB collar insignia...

SMWOG still need something to wear....Why is the senior insignia and the cadet insignia the same anyway? ??? Yes I know different color name tags but still?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Ned

California is the third state I have lived in sicne I joined CAP and it is the first state I have run across that makes new cadets wear a "recruit" uniform ( . . .).

This is not a California Wing policy.

Local units may indeed provide for some sort of interim "uniform" until the FCU uniform arrives and is complete.

But that is a local unit call.

Ned Lee

Hawk200

Quote from: davidsinn on August 04, 2009, 05:08:05 PMOh and we let them wear the inexpensive black "t" they can get at Walmart.

I'm glad someone else focuses on the actual pub instead of what they think it should be.

I'm getting pretty annoyed at how that myth of "only staff is allowed to wear black" keeps propogating. It's not in the manual, it's not a rule, and pushing it forward is continuing a lie. It doesn't benefit anyone to have only certain people wear certain T-shirt colors.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 04, 2009, 07:06:03 PM
I'm getting pretty annoyed at how that myth of "only staff is allowed to wear black" keeps propogating. It's not in the manual, it's not a rule, and pushing it forward is continuing a lie. It doesn't benefit anyone to have only certain people wear certain T-shirt colors.

That's a new one on me as well. 

It never cease to amaze me the elaborate and interesting ways our people can make life more difficult than it has to be. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Airrace

This is not a California Wing policy. Our sqadron allows them to come in civilan dress until they get the uniform.

CAPC/officer125

At my squadron, we have them wear a white t-shirt and nice blue jeans with tennis shoes until they get a uniform. It is usually not a problem for them to get their uniform before they promote. Also the male hair need to be in in regs and we prefer the females to at least have their hair up.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Airrace on August 04, 2009, 07:48:24 PM
This is not a California Wing policy. Our sqadron allows them to come in civilan dress until they get the uniform.

Okay, I buy it must be a local policy, but it is interesting that I have seen it on cadets in, southern california, from multiple units.  I am not even saying it is a bad thing, as it gives them uniformity and a sense of belonging until they get a uniform. 

I was simply commenting on what I have seen localy.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001