Orientation Flight Necessities

Started by cadetnelson, May 29, 2006, 08:30:46 PM

cadetnelson

I'm going on my first orientation flight this week, and I need some advice.

First of all, I'm getting conflicting statements from my various squadron leaders over what forms need to be brought to the flight. Obviously I need CAPF 60, as with any activity, but someone also said that a CAPF 9 was needed.  I went to cap.gov to print it off and it says "Non-CAP members only".  So, does the general release signed at application time cover the O-Flight or is there another form I need filled out?

Also, I'm almost certain of this, and I know you all will yell at me for even asking, but being asthis is my first time, I need to make sure.  I will be arriving in BDUs and I believe the pilot/instructor person will be our Aerospace Education officer,who is a Lt. Colonel and retired Air Force.
So, I'm assuming I salute him when I get there (right?).  But my question is:when is it appropriate to salute?  I know "to specify an exact distance is impractical"according to AFMAN 36-2203, but do I only salute when I first arrive and come within a few paces of him.  Or do I formally report to him upon arrival?  If we don't see each other first outside, when I go in, since I'm indoors, do I not salute or am I formally reporting "as ordered for orientation flight??"

Thank you, your help is appreciated.
C/Amn Nelson

arajca

First, the CAPF 9 is only for non-CAP members flying aboard CAP aircraft adn it requires Region Commander approval. It is not needed for o-flights for CAP members.

Second, as to saluting, As a rule, you do not salute on a flight line. I would include the ramp at the airport in this definition.  If you have the opportunity, ask your chain of command before the flight. If the pilot is a member of your squadron, ask them what they feel is correct.

cadetnelson

Thanks.  So all I need is a CAPF 60 for forms?
As far as saluting, unfortunately I will not be at a meeting before then so I'll just ask him what is correct.
C/Amn Nelson

MIKE

Quote from: cadetnelson on May 29, 2006, 09:04:22 PM
As far as saluting, unfortunately I will not be at a meeting before then so I'll just ask him what is correct.

Quote from: CAPP 151(4) You salute when outdoors unless:
(a) You are carrying articles (or a heavy object) in
both hands, which cannot be transferred to the left hand, or
another legitimate reason such as injury, and so forth. In this
case, an oral greeting should be exchanged, such as "Good
Morning, Sir or Ma'am." If you are the lower ranking individual
and the one you are approaching is higher in rank but
whose arms are incapacitated, you will still salute.
(b) You are in a designated "covered" or "no salute"
area, (aircraft marshalling areas and flightlines are "no salute"
areas).

(c) You are a member of a military formation or a
work detail (only the senior member of the formation or detail
salutes).
(d) You are attending a public gathering such as a
sports event.

Emphasis mine.
Mike Johnston

cadetnelson

Right, I understand the no-salute areas, but if I arrive at the airport, and he greets me outside the airport, wouldn't I salute since I am not on the flight line? (It's a small-town airport so chances are we will meet outside the front of the airport or inside.)  Basically, I need to know if I'm formally reporting or just arriving.  If I'm formally reporting what should I say, something along the lines of?:

"Cadet Basic Nelson reporting as ordered for orientation flight?"  or what?
C/Amn Nelson

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: cadetnelson on May 29, 2006, 09:22:41 PM
Right, I understand the no-salute areas, but if I arrive at the airport, and he greets me outside the airport, wouldn't I salute since I am not on the flight line? (It's a small-town airport so chances are we will meet outside the front of the airport or inside.)  Basically, I need to know if I'm formally reporting or just arriving.  If I'm formally reporting what should I say, something along the lines of?:

"Cadet Basic Nelson reporting as ordered for orientation flight?"  or what?

If you are greeting the o-flight pilot at the front entrance to the FBO, regular customs and courtesies apply. No need to do the formal reporting statement, that's overkill. Just salute and give a greeting, i.e., "Good (morning, afternoon) sir/ma'am."
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

cadetnelson

C/Amn Nelson

bricktonfire

you well love it i been 3 flight not counting the LC-130 with 109th aero medic group so have funny

C/Amn Cody Benac NY-408

Becks

proof-read your message a little bit before hitting the post button cadet...

BBATW

mprokosch11

Dont forget your CAP membership card.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

cadetnelson

I appreciate the advice and all, everyone, but ummmm, sorry to burst your bubble, but I went on that O-ride a month ago. Thanks though!  ;D
C/Amn Nelson

Pylon

Quote from: cadetnelson on July 07, 2006, 04:35:04 AM
I appreciate the advice and all, everyone, but ummmm, sorry to burst your bubble, but I went on that O-ride a month ago. Thanks though!  ;D

Of course, helpful information posted here may also be useful to other cadets who come upon this thread later on, or for others who may not have asked this question.  So, even though the original poster of the thread may no longer need the information to a question, it's helpful for others to continue to share their knowledge for all those who read these forums now and in the future.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP