Main Menu

BDU

Started by captrncap, May 14, 2006, 04:40:19 AM

captrncap

What is the best fabric for BDUs? I've seen many things about 100% cotton, 50/50 nylon/cotton, 65/35 polyester/cotton.  I am look for some guidance for year round use. I was trying to get something good for summer months (like use with encampment) and something solid to keep warm in the winter.

iowacap

The two you are thinking of are the winter weight and summer weight. I live in iowa and I am plenty warm with the summer weight which is the cotton ones. I have a good warm winter BDU jacket to go with it and works out perfect. The only difference is if you do ground team you may want to think about getting the winter weight to give you that extra protection from the cold.

Chris Jacobs

I just wear the sumer weight year round, but then again it only gets below freezing like 20 days a year here in portland oregon.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

MIKE

50% nylon 50% cotton enhanced ripstop.  It's in between the 100% cottons and the heavyweight twill.  Referred to as Enchanced Hot Weather BDU EHWBDU.  AAFESS MCSS sells these and the twills (Temprate).

EHWBDU Shirt
EHWBDU Trousers
EHWBDU Cap

The 100% cottons suck... Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks.

Mike Johnston

md132

You can check AF MCSS.  Most Army MCSS will not have them anymore because of the ACU's since there are some squadrons that are based on or near an Army base like mine.  For me the nearest on I can go to is Ft Meade or Andrews AFB.  But I agree EHWBDU is the best one to go.

Jeff_Miller

When I was wearing BDUs (now have Army ACUs), I just kept four sets of summer weights.  When it gets colder, just wear some snivel gear underneath (Polypro, etc).  Also, starching the summer weights makes them a bit warmer in the colder months.
Jeffrey S. Miller
CPT, AR
U.S. Army
Spaatz #1164

CapnSuper

Based on the new Air Force ABU, 50-50 nylon-cotton blend permanent press fabric will be the only version available.

If and when CAP adopts them, maybe they'll have other varieties.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/a/abu.htm

Becks

well theyre not fully phasing out the BDU till around 2011, so if CAP would ever get the ABU it would be a while after that date.

BBATW

Earhart1971

Quote from: CapnSuper on May 16, 2006, 08:57:30 PM
Based on the new Air Force ABU, 50-50 nylon-cotton blend permanent press fabric will be the only version available.

If and when CAP adopts them, maybe they'll have other varieties.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/a/abu.htm

I vote for dumping Camo BDUs and going with SOLID TAN, with the suede Desert Boots, the light color reflects heat better.

No I don't like ORANGE Vests to overcome the CAMO.

md132

to help a little more.  The summer weight is the best.  You can purchase thermal undergarment for less than $20.00 total (top and bottom) at any MCSS.  Or just about any top undergarnment that is brown or black.

shorning

Quote from: Earhart1971 on May 20, 2006, 07:13:23 PM
I vote for dumping Camo BDUs and going with SOLID TAN, with the suede Desert Boots, the light color reflects heat better.

No I don't like ORANGE Vests to overcome the CAMO.

Tan doesn't stand out in the desert southwest or a few other areas.  The AF seems to do well with BDUs in hot areas.  Why do we need special consideration?  Why do we need to perpetuate the absurdity by creating even more uniforms?

pixelwonk

Quote from: shorning on May 20, 2006, 08:13:30 PM

Tan doesn't stand out in the desert southwest or a few other areas.  The AF seems to do well with BDUs in hot areas.  Why do we need special consideration?  Why do we need to perpetuate the absurdity by creating even more uniforms?

Well Duh, Steve...  It's because we're CAP.  Contrive Alternative Panoply   ;D

shorning

Quote from: tedda on May 20, 2006, 09:33:56 PM
Quote from: shorning on May 20, 2006, 08:13:30 PM

Well Duh, Steve...  It's because we're CAP.  Contrive Alternative Panoply   ;D

It does distract people from the real issues...

Becks

I live in a hot enviornment, South Carolina, and Im perfectly fine with the woodland.  We're not deployed to the desert and therefor dont really need the tans for any reason.  The only nice part about the tan cammies is that you have the suede boots that dont require polishing, granted I like my boots shiney  :)

BBATW

Chris Jacobs

I wish we could wear the suede boots with the woodland.  I saw an army guy that has the new dark suede boots on with his woodland camo and it didn't look to terribly bad.  The boots can be a lot more comfortable when it is hot out.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

md132

The reason why that soldiers who wore the suede boots with BDU is because of two reasons.  1.  That soldier has not recieved his ACU yet.  Or 2. The MCSS where you are at do not carrey black boots anymore since it's also being phased out.  AF still wears the black boots right now.  I don't know what kind of boots they will be wearing with their new uniform.

mikeylikey

Quote from: md132 on June 12, 2006, 01:58:42 PM
The reason why that soldiers who wore the suede boots with BDU is because of two reasons.  1.  That soldier has not received his ACU yet.  Or 2. The MCSS where you are at do not Carry black boots anymore since it's also being phased out.  AF still wears the black boots right now.  I don't know what kind of boots they will be wearing with their new uniform.

Actually, the Soldier has the option of wearing black or suede boots.  The phase out of black boots has been extended to 2008.  However, the suede are cheaper than the leather.  Money my be a factor.  Also, the option is available to the individual as to wear the new ACU or continue wearing BDU's until the phase out.  ACU's are only being issued to soldiers in initial training (basic, ROTC), everyone else gets to go to the MCSS and buy theirs. IMO, the black boots with the ACU and beret, just go better together aesthetically.  It does however, disgust me to see a formation, half wearing BDU's the other half wearing ACU's.  As a CO, I can not order everyone into the same uniform during a "Phase In",  so we will put up with it for a while longer.  Back on subject, wear summer weight BDU's.  They present a sharper, crisper crease when starched!
What's up monkeys?

Psicorp

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 12, 2006, 02:33:52 PM
Quote from: md132 on June 12, 2006, 01:58:42 PM
The reason why that soldiers who wore the suede boots with BDU is because of two reasons.  1.  That soldier has not received his ACU yet.  Or 2. The MCSS where you are at do not Carry black boots anymore since it's also being phased out.  AF still wears the black boots right now.  I don't know what kind of boots they will be wearing with their new uniform.

Actually, the Soldier has the option of wearing black or suede boots.  The phase out of black boots has been extended to 2008.  However, the suede are cheaper than the leather.  Money my be a factor.  Also, the option is available to the individual as to wear the new ACU or continue wearing BDU's until the phase out.  ACU's are only being issued to soldiers in initial training (basic, ROTC), everyone else gets to go to the MCSS and buy theirs. IMO, the black boots with the ACU and beret, just go better together aesthetically.  It does however, disgust me to see a formation, half wearing BDU's the other half wearing ACU's.  As a CO, I can not order everyone into the same uniform during a "Phase In",  so we will put up with it for a while longer.  Back on subject, wear summer weight BDU's.  They present a sharper, crisper crease when starched!

I have heard the numerous uniform debates for a while now.  I was a cadet when we had the old Air Force olive drab fatigues.   Gotta love wash and wear uniforms...especially if they're supposed to be "utility" uniforms.   Personally, I'd rather go back to the olive drab than any navy-esque uniform.   

On the subject of BDU's...I was under the impression that since the Air Force recinded the requirement  that BDUs must be starched and ironed, that CAP had followed suit...is this right, Sir?
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Quote from: Psicorp on July 22, 2006, 02:51:10 AM
On the subject of BDU's...I was under the impression that since the Air Force recinded the requirement  that BDUs must be starched and ironed, that CAP had followed suit...is this right, Sir?

Quote from: CAPM 39-12-1. ... Uniforms must be clean, neat and correct in design and specifications, fitted properly, pressed and in good condition (that is not frayed, worn out, torn, faded, patched, and so forth). Uniform items are to be kept zipped, snapped, or buttoned.  Shoes are to be shined and in good repair. ...

Emphasis mine.
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: Psicorp on July 22, 2006, 02:51:10 AM

Quote from: AFI 36-29031.3.1.3. Uniforms will be neat, clean, pressed, buttoned, and properly maintained.

The Air Force (as a whole) has never had a requirement to starch the BDUs.  So...there was nothing to rescind. 

Or perhaps I don't know much about Air Force uniforms...