Combat Control Orientation Course (CCOC)

Started by RogueLeader, March 21, 2009, 11:50:26 PM

CadetProgramGuy

Please excuse me for a moment.

I think the CCOC course is an excellent idea.  Other than PJOC, there is no other course that looks into AFSOC.

I just think making a cadet do facing movements in a BOR is a bit much.  Making a cadet do an "about face" to look at uniform issues?  come on.......

Gunner C

I did it at my E-5 board.  I don't see the problem.

CadetProgramGuy

Then lets just call this a difference in opinion, and we can move on to bigger and better.

I stand fast though when I say,

This is a good idea, and I hope it does big things for CAP and our Cadets

Major Lord

I think you are very wise to confirm that Cadets applying are capable of handling the physical and mental rigors of the course. In the CAWG Cadet Survival School ( on hold this year-too many of our key people are deployed) we found that a number of Cadets who claimed to be able to run a mile in less than 10 minutes coud hardly write that down without getting out of breath- The home Squadrons had been gundecking their PT scores, and glossing over or emitting information about the applicants' limitations. Trust, but verify. Good luck with your course, its outstanding to see the Cadet program try new things, and Dave Siemet is just the kind of innovator to make it happen.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Flying Pig

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 18, 2009, 05:43:28 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 17, 2009, 08:07:40 PM
In response to a cadet who is very interested in attending this course, we are willing to allow for remote application.  This application will consist of the following:

- Remote Applicant Assessment (must be approved before-hand by CCOC Staff)]

- Send via DATA DVD NLT 4 June 2009 (send care of: Maj DavidSiemiet, 112 Holly Oak Cir, Bunnlevel, NC 28308)

- Contain video of each portion of the PT Test in its entirety (allvideo must be viewable w/Windows Media Player)

- Contain pictures (full body, front and back) of applicant in BDUuniform (JPEG Format) - to evaluate uniform

- Contain 1-Page resume (education, CAP experience, Job experience,Extra-curricular activities, Sports, etc)

- All application documents digitized

- Video answering the following questions (no more than 2 minuteanswers each)(video should be of applicant seated with whole body showing toevaluate body language and posture):

1. Why do you think you should be chosen to be a student at CCOC?

2. Why did you join CAP?3. What are your goals in CAP and beyond?

- Applicant will be contacted before 6 June in order to schedule aphone interview.

The Cadet applicant will answer the video questions in a board of review manner.  This must include:  Reporting to the President of the Board, marching movements from entering the room, LEFT, RIGHT, and ABOUT FACE. 

The Remote Application process must be preapproved by CCOC Staff.  Any applicant that is denied approval to apply by remote MUST attend CCOC Selection in Burlington NC on 6 June 2009.  The Course Director is the final authority on whom may be allowed to apply by remote.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 17, 2009, 08:14:36 PM
Are you joking? ^

Even I have to admit, this is a bit much.....

It seems a bit much from a CAP perspective, but it appears that Rogue is trying to make the CAP selection as close to the real CCT selection as possible.   I think video taping the PT test is an interesting idea.   In the military, if you try out for CCT you have CCT reps present to validate everything.  In CAP we don't have that, and not that I think people are liars, but I could see people allowing a cadet to slid a little as long as they "promise" to get their mile tome down etc.  Especially if cadets are going to be allowed to enter the pipeline after graduating, If I was the Air Force, I would want to make sure the majority of the cadets who attend are interested in that field. 
Like someone said above, sending a cadet who cant cut it may rob from a cadet who really is wanting to head down that road in life.  For about 99% of CAP, I think it needs to be designed for everyone at every level of ability. But then there are some parts, like this activity as it sounds, that need to be reserved for those who prove they really are the cream.

RogueLeader

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 18, 2009, 03:50:21 AM
Well... I have one cadet who's going to be applying from here, in New York City. He's going to use his hard-earned money to go to NC and try out. He's on the Lacrosse, Swimming and Diving team at his High School. He's also a certified NYC Lifeguard (NYC Dept of Parks & Recreation). A C/TSgt and he's interested in TCC as a career choice (he's 16 and a HS Junior). He's a good distance runner and has solid upper body strength. He's also on the HS robotics team and attends one of the most advanced public schools in NYC.

All this proves one thing. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen.

Glad to hear it.  I look forward to meeting him and the best of luck to him.
Quote from: Gunner C on April 18, 2009, 05:59:44 AM
I think it's a great idea.  Quality control at an activity like this is paramount.  You don't need anyone who is

• Out of shape
  • Doesn't represent CAP well to the AFSOC

Why?

• Someone who can't handle the physical side of the course is a danger to himself and others
  • We won't get another chance to get another chance to make a first impression

Way to go RL!  Great way to attack a problem with available technology.
That is exactly it.  I'd be amiss if I said this was my idea.  It was a C/Capt from TXWG that proposed the idea.  I happened to be one of the two that signed off on it.  The only thing I added was the marching part of the BOR.
Quote from: Gunner C on April 18, 2009, 08:20:43 AM
I did it at my E-5 board.  I don't see the problem.

Exactly where I got it from, although I found out that my Squadron does the same thing for promotion Boards.  The marching portion is not so much for seeing uniform discrepancies, but to see discipline in movements.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spike

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 18, 2009, 03:00:11 PM
The marching portion is not so much for seeing uniform discrepancies, but to see discipline in movements.

Great Idea you have here!  However, the quote above leads me to think you are trying to hard to be military.

I just can't make the "discipline in movements" sync with what the course is all about. 

Maybe I just don't get your whole concept.

Good luck with your activity, it sounds like it will have a few minutes of pure awesome fun, and hours of grueling "sand in your eyes" PT.

arajca

Quote from: Spike on April 19, 2009, 11:15:40 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 18, 2009, 03:00:11 PM
The marching portion is not so much for seeing uniform discrepancies, but to see discipline in movements.

Great Idea you have here!  However, the quote above leads me to think you are trying to hard to be military.

I just can't make the "discipline in movements" sync with what the course is all about. 

Maybe I just don't get your whole concept.

Good luck with your activity, it sounds like it will have a few minutes of pure awesome fun, and hours of grueling "sand in your eyes" PT.
Cadets going in front to the board in person will have to demonstrate the drill moves, so why shouldn't a cadet who is doing it via video? It evens the playing field somewhat.

RogueLeader

T Minus 11 days until applications are due.

The course is really coming together nicely.  We have 99% of all the big details worked out, and 95% of all the small things worked out.

Ready or not, (we really are ;D) here we come!!!!!!

BTW, I could have made the process a whole lot more "military" than what it is; not because I could, but because it isn't needed.  What "military aspects that are there- they need to be there.

We have several SERE instructors that are helping out as Selection as well as the course itself.

As a side note, 90% of all the staff are either current military, or retired military.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spike

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 25, 2009, 09:13:12 PM
BTW, I could have made the process a whole lot more "military" than what it is; not because I could, but because it isn't needed.......

AND...................??!?!?!?  Since CAP is not the military.......good choice!
We have several SERE instructors that are helping out as Selection as well as the course itself.

great..and.................?!?!?!  Is this supposed to impress us?

As a side note, 90% of all the staff are either current military, or retired military.

And..................?!?!  Are we supposed to be impressed?

Eclipse

^ Who peed in your Wheaties?

Considering the nature of the activity, I'm impressed.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The "real" test for this activity will be can you do it again next year?
Even if some of the personnel conducting it this year aren't available.

Stonewall

Yeah, if any range time is scheduled, I'll be your Combat Arms Instructor, Tower Operator or Range Safety Officer.  You know, since I'm qualified to run AF ranges and teach all those classes...

Not that I need an excuse to go to Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB.  It'd just be cool to go for a real reason.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

^I'll let you know.

One thing that we are doing is putting together a continuity folder on the process, as well as as all the contacts, so in the case that Maj. Siemiet gets deployed/transfered; we have a plan to get the ball rolling again.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 28, 2009, 10:37:51 PM
One thing that we are doing is putting together a continuity folder on the process, as well as as all the contacts, ...

That right there says a lot about this course.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: Spike on May 25, 2009, 11:17:57 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on May 25, 2009, 09:13:12 PM
BTW, I could have made the process a whole lot more "military" than what it is; not because I could, but because it isn't needed.......

AND...................??!?!?!?  Since CAP is not the military.......good choice!

great..and.................?!?!?!  Is this supposed to impress us?

And..................?!?!  Are we supposed to be impressed?

I sure would hope so.  I'm pretty d@#$@... darn impressed and I hope this works out well enough to open the door for more high speed cadet activities in the future.

RogueLeader

We have right now, are going to see a jump from a DZ, and we are hoping to get a C-130 O-Flight.  If all goes to plan, The CCOC students will actually see a Static line jump, and a free fall jump.  That looks to be very cool.

All in all, this is going to be an extrodinary event, that all of us on the CCOC Staff are pysched at how well this is coming.  I hope to see many people on 6 June for selection.  Remember, the deadline to apply is 23:59:59L 4 June 2009.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

NIN

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 31, 2009, 04:46:04 PM
We have right now, are going to see a jump from a DZ, and we are hoping to get a C-130 O-Flight.  If all goes to plan, The CCOC students will actually see a Static line jump, and a free fall jump.  That looks to be very cool.

Heck, I can demonstrate the free-fall jump.

Oh, you mean a military freefall.  Well, I'll take that C-130 ride nonetheless!  ;D
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pinchuk D.

hello,

when doing the push ups for the PT test, are we allowed to go into any kind of rest position? like the one where we go up into a upside down V or like the navy seal push up rest position, where you can lean on one arm as long as the other arm and both feet are on the ground.

Polecat

Would you please post all the awesome pics of the activities when it is done for the year?