Combat Control Orientation Course (CCOC)

Started by RogueLeader, March 21, 2009, 11:50:26 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 15, 2009, 09:26:38 PM
Most Squadron activities should be open to anyone Iwould think

We don't open our squadron activities to everyone...

We don't have the facilities, staff, transportation, etc to handle more than the 40 cadets we do have.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

Yes, this is(Was) open to anybody whom met the requirements.  As the Course is starting in only 3 days, we are not taking anybody else.  As of right now, this is Hosted by NC-007, Fayetteville Composite Squadron.  It has been approved by the NCWG/CC.  We are hoping to make this a NCSA, but not yet.  We want to get all the preceedents set so that way, it goes the way we think it should.  That being said, next year, you should see some less stringent application rules: ie from a distance.  More following the AAR.  One thing that will not change are the STANDARDS.  We would rather close the school than see standards slip.

We are looking foreward to seeing all the cadets come out and give it their best.  We won't take less.

As far as an advanced course, not for the foreseeable future.  Seriously, this Course was built by ground up by about 7 CAP members (4 of which have Active Duty jobs as well),  cordinating with the Active Duty personnel and the State Director to make this work.  With my job, I literally do nothing but Army, Civil Air Patrol, CCOC and when I can- sleep.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Lt Seng, do you foresee a general AFSOC orientation course at Hurlburt in the future? Something that will cover all Commando AFSCs?

As I understand, most of the AFSCs involved are short on manning and offer high incentives for enlistment/commission. Perhaps AFSOC could have a basic Spec Ops Orientation school for 1-2 weeks that will introduce TCC, Pararescue, TACP and Combat Weather?
GEORGE LURYE

RogueLeader

Originally, that's what this course was: Special Tactics Orientation Course (STOC)  It was the AF that changed it to specifically Combat Control.

This week has gone by soo fast, and as I type this, the cadets are getting ready for graduation.  As they will attest to, this was a very rewarding, and very INTENSE.

More will follow after all is said and done.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

CCOC went off very well.  Out of the ten students that qualified, three smoked the PAS Test, and all the other seven were extremely close, just a few seconds of time, or a few reps of an exercise.  CMSgt Hoye, the Senior Enlisted Manager of ALL Air Force Special Tactics was there to take the PAST anlong with the Students.  He was also the guest speaker at graduation.  It was an impressive sight; I assure you.  He came qall the way from Hulburt(sp) Field FL to see this.

All the cadets love the enitre course( except some of the PT ;D )  They can not wait until next year, as they want to do it again.

More to follow.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SaBeR33

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 27, 2009, 01:47:09 PMAll the cadets love the enitre course( except some of the PT ;D )  They can not wait until next year, as they want to do it again.

Masochists.  ;D

Congratulations!  :clap: I'm really happy to hear the program went well and that Ma Blue is taking notice.

afgeo4

Congratulations on the program and though I haven't had the chance to debrief the cadet that attended from my unit (C/MSgt Pinchuk), it sounds and looks (great facebook page!) like it went as well as could have.

I am very proud that the CCT and Special Tactics community got a chance to show their way of life to these cadets and hopefully inspire some of them to be the best at no matter what they choose to do in the future!

Hey, maybe you guys will get some good recruits out of this too.

Now cadet Pinchuk has expressed an interest in this as a career field, but he's also said he'd like to do ROTC and commission before entering it. Is there an officer career field in Combat Control, similar to the CRO in Pararescue? What would be his option/s?
GEORGE LURYE

adamblank

A combat control officer field does exist.  It is called a (STO) Special Tactics Officer.
Adam Brandao

RogueLeader

One thing that really put people off of applying was the swim.  The requirement was 200 meteres in ten minutes.  All of the times were between 3:30 and 4:45 min.  It is all very reachable, if you know what it is you are trying to acheive.

This voyrse went off extremely well, and we are already refining the process, and making it 'more available" for next year.

More to follow.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Is an advanced course or cadet staff position possible for next year? Cadet Pinchuk would like to continue with the CCOC field.
GEORGE LURYE

Flying Pig

One thing that really put people off of applying was the swim.  The requirement was 200 meteres in ten minutes.  All of the times were between 3:30 and 4:45 min.  It is all very reachable, if you know what it is you are trying to acheive.

This voyrse went off extremely well, and we are already refining the process, and making it 'more available" for next year.

More to follow.

I swim about 2500 yrds 2-3 times per week.  The hardest part of swimming for fitness is learning HOW to swim for fitness.  I would encourage any cadet who is interested in CCOC or anything related to infantry, SOF, etc. to learn how to swim correctly.  Once you have someone instruct you, you will be blown away at how effortless it can become.  I see people in the pool punching and kicking the water and after 75 yards they are drying off and walking away defeated because they have swallowed half of the pool.  Swimming for fitness is not swimming in your backyard pool for fun.

I believe the minimum swim qual for most military branches when you are trying out for Recon, Para Rescue, etc is 500 meters usually in about 12:30-13:00 min.  The pool is usually where people decide whatever they are trying out for isnt for them.

RogueLeader

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 07, 2009, 06:21:29 PM
Is an advanced course or cadet staff position possible for next year? Cadet Pinchuk would like to continue with the CCOC field.

Right now, no there is not.    That said, and as he was told before he left here, that they can attend as many times as they make it past selection.   Due to the nature of the course, only Senior Members will be on staff and only current/former military will be allowed to be instructors.   This is not a slight against anybody, but due to what we are trying to accomplish; you need the BTDT experiences.

I saw what Cadet Pinchuk did, and he is more than capable of aceing the long PAS Test.  I am also very glad that he wants to continue in CCOC, but please understand that this was only year 1 for CCOC.  We are in the process of working up to eventually 30-40 students.   This will take a while.

APJOC didn't arrive until about 20 years after PJOC was founded.  Give us time.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 08, 2009, 10:13:00 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on August 07, 2009, 06:21:29 PM

Right now, no there is not.    That said, and as he was told before he left here, that they can attend as many times as they make it past selection.   Due to the nature of the course, only Senior Members will be on staff and only current/former military will be allowed to be instructors.   This is not a slight against anybody, but due to what we are trying to accomplish; you need the BTDT experiences.

I saw what Cadet Pinchuk did, and he is more than capable of aceing the long PAS Test.  I am also very glad that he wants to continue in CCOC, but please understand that this was only year 1 for CCOC.  We are in the process of working up to eventually 30-40 students.   This will take a while.

APJOC didn't arrive until about 20 years after PJOC was founded.  Give us time.
Roger that. He said he might do the PJOC next year for comparison and a challenge. Were they qualified in small arms? If they were, were they authorized any devices/ribbons?
GEORGE LURYE

RogueLeader

I know that some did qualify, but not sure exatlly sure- I had to be at work.  No, they are not authorized any ribbon or medal. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 01, 2009, 06:26:53 PM
I know that some did qualify, but not sure exatlly sure- I had to be at work.  No, they are not authorized any ribbon or medal.

Any way you guys could provide NRA qualifications for next year?
GEORGE LURYE

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340