Shelter Operations ES Qualification

Started by RiverAux, February 22, 2009, 07:43:14 PM

Should CAP have an ES Qualification and SQTR for "shelter operations"?

Yes, but we should just require applicable Red Cross courses.
3 (18.8%)
Yes, but CAP should develop our own training program based on other successful models.
0 (0%)
Yes, we should have a CAP training model but also allow Red Cross courses to substitute for the CAP tasks when applicable.
7 (43.8%)
No.  No CAP ES Qualification is necessary.
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

RiverAux

I think chiles hit many nails on their heads with his response regarding what CAP specific stuff we would want to get across to CAP shelter operators. Nothing all that complicated.  One other thing (which might be covered in the capr100) is regarding using the CAP comm system to pass non-CAP messages on behalf of those at shelters. 

I'll say again that I would be fine as having the ARC course as an alternate to meet many of the spedific non-CAP tasks we would incorporate.  But, we have to have a CAP alternate plan because there are not Red Cross chapters everyplace we have a CAP squadron.  In my state about 75% of squadrons don't have a chapter within an hour of them. 

Yes, the Red Cross would want CAP members at their shelters to have the ARC course, but I would hazard a guess that most shelters being operated in this country are not operated by the ARC, but rather by local agencies and unaffiliated groups such as churches.  If the CAP training is equivalent to the ARC training, I bet they'll be more than fine with it. 

RiverAux

A question for the 40% of you voting "No" in the poll:

1.  Are you voting no because you think this is an inappropriate mission for CAP

OR

2.  Are you voting no because you think CAP should only require the ARC class

OR

3.  Are you voting no because you don't think CAP should have any specific requirements for working at a shelter? 

Short Field

Why not just have your members join the Red Cross?  The downside is they can't wear their BDUs as a Red Cross Volunteer, but the upside is they will get all the training they need and it is a lot cheaper than belonging to CAP.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

tarheel gumby

Quote from: RiverAux on February 23, 2009, 09:18:33 PM
A question for the 40% of you voting "No" in the poll:

1.  Are you voting no because you think this is an inappropriate mission for CAP

OR

2.  Are you voting no because you think CAP should only require the ARC class

OR

3.  Are you voting no because you don't think CAP should have any specific requirements for working at a shelter? 

1. No I do not think that this mission is inappropriate for the CAP
2. The CAP should not go and re-invent the wheel. The ARC training is more than adaquate for the task.
3. The CAP requirements should be completion of the ARC training
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

chiles

Quote from: Short Field on February 23, 2009, 09:54:34 PM
Why not just have your members join the Red Cross?  The downside is they can't wear their BDUs as a Red Cross Volunteer, but the upside is they will get all the training they need and it is a lot cheaper than belonging to CAP.

I can speak for myself. I'm not interested in doing anything for the Red Cross "full time". I work with cadets and am training in various specialties in ES in CAP. I don't see why I should have to go join another organization to assist in an operation that falls under Disaster Relief. Just because someone wants to help that mission doesn't mean they want to join the organization.

1. No I do not think that this mission is inappropriate for the CAP
2. The CAP should not go and re-invent the wheel. The ARC training is more than adaquate for the task.
3. The CAP requirements should be completion of the ARC training

Learning how to put together cots and hand out food is only half the battle. We have to teach our people what will be expected of them as CAP members as well as have them learn from the Red Cross. All of this information can be covered in F and P's or in a brief course. But it needs to be gone over.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

RADIOMAN015

I don't think this should be a primary mission of CAP.  CAP does not have enough radio equipment at this time to support these types of point to point radio communications.  It is likely that our comm equipment would be needed for support DR recon missions.   The amateur radio ARES program is primarily the means of supporting shelter operations and works very well in most communities.

The American Red Cross is primarily response for this mission.  In areas that lack ARC coverage, communities should be planning shelter operations by using their respective Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT).
https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/   CAP members could consider joining there local community CERT.

This is not to say that CAP could not assist in some ways (e.g. possible set up & just some basic duties, but not the shelter management aspect), BUT this shouldn't be one of our primary missions.   Somehow though I see again as potential mission creep.

RM

RiverAux

Never proposed it be a PRIMARY mission and it isn't mission creep if it is already something we've been doing for a very long time. 

Remember what our actual emergency services mission is:
QuoteTo provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
We have a pretty broad mandate from Congress in what we do in this area. 

lordmonar

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it be a primary mission....but one we should have a SQRT for and do some joint work with the ARC/Local Emegerncy Response orgnaisation.

In a disaster it is good that our planes and comm system is there ready to assits...but what about all those non-flyer/non-comm types who are sitting around as the flood waters rise and the community is looking for a place to stay?

Granted there may not be a local ARC chapter everywhere...but I am sure that there is a state wide disaster plan....and I am sure that they are looking for people to help out.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

chiles

Quote from: RiverAux on February 23, 2009, 11:45:03 PM
Never proposed it be a PRIMARY mission and it isn't mission creep if it is already something we've been doing for a very long time. 

Remember what our actual emergency services mission is:
QuoteTo provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
We have a pretty broad mandate from Congress in what we do in this area. 

See, that's what I'm talking about. Until this thread I had never heard anyone even take a second glance at this particular topic as a subset of the Disaster Relief part of our ES mission. Perhaps being the primary is a scope creep, but assisting a primary agency, Red Cross or some other agency, is certainly not. And there are places out there who do not have a CERT or an ARC chapter. Actually, some areas have a CERT that isn't trained for shelter management, either.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

Major Carrales

American Red Cross Chapters sometimes tend to be very undermanned, the addition of CAP Ground Personnel, for any number of reasons ranging from general runners, sign in/paperwork (which we already do due to NIMS training) and even distributing water and items would be most welcomed.

As I understand it, we have just adopted NIMS, I assume then that working with the RED CROSS for Shelter management would be an outstanding example of all this interagency work people want.  Sure, its not the CIA or some other "cool" agency, but it is one where we would be welcomed with open arms...and, futhermore, needed.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote1.  Are you voting no because you think this is an inappropriate mission for CAP?

No, I don't think that it is an inappropriate mission for CAP to get [more] involved in.  In fact I wish that CAP was more involved in disaster relief and assistance missions.  I think that there are more of these types of missions than most people think AND the organizational exposure is greater as what you do helping the local communities is direct and hands on.  People don't see the plane flying looking for an ELT nobody can hear.

Quote2.  Are you voting no because you think CAP should only require the ARC class?

I honestly don't think that CAP needs to reinvent the wheel with the training.  I've done the ARC Shelter Operations course, Shelter Management and Psychological First Aid training and think that it is more than sufficient to run a shelter.

Working with the ARC, they would be the lead agency and if doing this through CAP, the (CAP) IC for the incident is going to be the one who needs the understanding of how our two organizations relate and what paperwork needs to be filled out, etc.  The Wing CC is the one who signs the MOU, etc. 

The people working the shelter don't need the extraneous bureaucratic junk to be thrown in there.  Working with the ARC, they know what they're doing and they're very good at it.  They aren't going to put a volunteer in a spot that they shouldn't be.  Even when it comes to filling out paperwork, if you're assigned as a shelter manager, they'll send a paid ARC employee to help with the paperwork and logistical support - you just tell them what you need.

Quote3.  Are you voting no because you don't think CAP should have any specific requirements for working at a shelter? 

As I said before, ARC is very good at what they do.  They have preexisting logistical support, agreements, etc for anything that you would need to run a shelter.  Even if it isn't an ARC shelter they can offer support.

CAP doesn't need to create their own training or add onto it.  The exent I can see of an SQTR is checking off the ARC classes and having it show up on your 101 card.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

heliodoc

After reading all these posts..

CAP can and needs to get involved and know their place in the operational environment of a disaster.

More than likely the EM has an MOU within the community and who is the primary player.  There is a definite mission creep in these operations.  To tell us EM types there isn't, is pretty silly.

For the most part, CAP should just take the training that is already in place and if ANYTHING changes, it may as well be reflected in an SQTR.  If ARC requires every 3 yrs updates like some of the SQTR reqs, then that is how it gets done

CAP needs to understand there are other lead agencies for this and we become support to those agencies and how we fit into THEIR programs.  As seen here before, CAP has a hard time keeping up with its own changes especially in its own program, that we best be careful on how we are percieved as the ones running the show.  CAP will continue to be support and to "make its own program" when there are others around who have done better and for a longer period of time, that is how we ought to look at it.

CAP can not continue to try to be everything..... unless dilution is the solution

davidsinn

Here's what I would put on the SQTR:

I'd break it out like flightline where you have the do'ers and the supervisors

Everyone would have
Basic first aid
IS 100,700
BCUT maybe?
Perhaps a .PPT requirement addressing anything from our stand point.

I'd add IS200,800 for managers as well as ACUT maybe a prereq of LSC I'm not too familiar with it.

I don't know if I would have everyone take the ARC course or just the managers I don't know what's involved in it but I do know that reinventing the wheel is stupid.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

chiles

Quote from: heliodoc on February 24, 2009, 01:51:05 PM
After reading all these posts..

CAP can and needs to get involved and know their place in the operational environment of a disaster.

More than likely the EM has an MOU within the community and who is the primary player.  There is a definite mission creep in these operations.  To tell us EM types there isn't, is pretty silly.

For the most part, CAP should just take the training that is already in place and if ANYTHING changes, it may as well be reflected in an SQTR.  If ARC requires every 3 yrs updates like some of the SQTR reqs, then that is how it gets done

CAP needs to understand there are other lead agencies for this and we become support to those agencies and how we fit into THEIR programs.  As seen here before, CAP has a hard time keeping up with its own changes especially in its own program, that we best be careful on how we are percieved as the ones running the show.  CAP will continue to be support and to "make its own program" when there are others around who have done better and for a longer period of time, that is how we ought to look at it.

CAP can not continue to try to be everything..... unless dilution is the solution

It's not dilution. It's part of our Disaster Relief mission. I am a professional emergency manager. I was on the Nationwide Plan Review team post Katrina. I can tell you that the Red Cross is, by and large, the expert on shelter management. I can also tell you that the Red Cross could use a lot of help. Their capability across the United States is not comprehensive. Some places have a lot of membership, others have nothing but a line note in a plan that nobody has read in years. I'm not saying we rewrite their way of doing things. I think that we should write an SQTR that includes all of their training and, as part of the F and P's, instruct our new members on things they need to know about the scope of activities they may participate in as a CAP member providing support to the ARC. Include the basic tasks (e.g. Keeping a Log) and unique tasks (e.g. demonstrate an understanding of the ARC shelter command system). The ARC courses become the "advanced training" and the standard two exercises/events to finish out the rating. Pre-reqs include GES. No muss, no fuss, no scope creep. We are in a support role but we at least know our people know not only the technical systems and procedures in running a shelter, but what their roles are limited to and how CAP's systems effect their actions when working under the ARC.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on February 24, 2009, 02:35:00 PM
I don't know if I would have everyone take the ARC course or just the managers I don't know what's involved in it but I do know that reinventing the wheel is stupid.

There are 2 ARC courses. 

Shelter Operations and Shelter Management.  The first is for the everyday shelter staffer, the person doing intake, passing out food, preparing food, etc.  Teh second is for people to become qualified to open, close and manage an ARC shelter.

Even then, I'm not sure as though I'd required 1st aid/cpr, etc.  More than likely some sort of medical personnel is going to be available. 

Shelter operators do things like:
Making people feel comfortable
Listening to peoples needs and concerns
Finding out if people need medication (not administering it, but if they prescriptions, making sure they can get it if they don't have it)
Cleaning public areas
Keeping the information boards up to date
cooking meals
distributing supplies
conducting activities for those at the shelter
etc.

The shelter manager:
Opens and closes the shelter
Works with the ARC to get needed supplies
Works with local authorities to get updated information
Manages the staff
Ensures basic shelter needs are met
Fills out ARC paperwork
etc

Emergency plans usually have emergency personnel that are located at the shelters for medical aid, or are readily available,etc.

One course that might be beneficial is Psychological First Aid, which helps you identify psychological attributes in disaster victims, get information from varying types of people (children, older people, etc) to find out what their real concerns and worries are, and talk/comfort those experiencing these incidents.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

heliodoc

No argument form me, Chris

Like everything else in this forum, we all do not know each other real life occupations..

Granted,  we have a  DR mission and we folks that know technical systems, etc

As an EM type, me also, one would thought that CAP was on the cutting edge with all this "stuff"

But as this forum proves, we lag behind in the simplest things in community involvement because we have the attitude that CAP can do it all because of our 3  primary missions.  Our ES is pretty good but it does truly lack the real bite it needs.  Community involvement, in uniform or not, is what we need and have to practice.  But again this all involves more time, and in that regard, is more mission creep.  I wholely agree on working with ARC and others....

And while CAP has proven, that itself, could not get its basic stuff together on the simple reqs of meeting a deadline for NIMS (100, 200,700, and 800) because "how does this stuff really pertain to us?" attitude and "too much guv running us" I see it as those who really see this as part of DR mission, may take it seriously, but as I see it , reading this forum, 39-1 nazis and bling dings would rather address those issues rather than Shelter Management

heliodoc

The things jimmydeanno just put up are "somewhat similar" to the checkoff sytem in a taskbokk that wildland fire uses.  Good system but to get things signed off in a disaster could take a while.

I think making an SQTR might fit the bill but what jimmydeanno put up looks like the box check off system

I would support a task book like that and have folks who are interested get the creds from ARC and have it in their CAP files...

Persons already trained by agencies in this field, and signed off, ought to be put on a EM list and a Wing list so the Wing Kings know who has taken the course and then in turn EM's when they need folks, can get a tasking order from respective agencies, CAP, AFRCC, etc

CAP ought to recognize the Shelter Management course already and move with it to avoid duplication

chiles

Quote from: heliodoc on February 24, 2009, 03:18:55 PM
The things jimmydeanno just put up are "somewhat similar" to the checkoff sytem in a taskbokk that wildland fire uses.  Good system but to get things signed off in a disaster could take a while.

I think making an SQTR might fit the bill but what jimmydeanno put up looks like the box check off system

I would support a task book like that and have folks who are interested get the creds from ARC and have it in their CAP files...

Persons already trained by agencies in this field, and signed off, ought to be put on a EM list and a Wing list so the Wing Kings know who has taken the course and then in turn EM's when they need folks, can get a tasking order from respective agencies, CAP, AFRCC, etc

CAP ought to recognize the Shelter Management course already and move with it to avoid duplication

In places where the Red Cross have a large presence, they are often doing small exercises on a schedule to coincide with training new personnel. We can easily send some of our people to not only participate in the exercise (for our people looking to get the two exercises/events knocked out) or participate in the execution of the exercise (to get more experience in conducting and executing an exercise and building bridges with the ARC). Smaller exercises can be completely internal to CAP. Spend a half day running relatives through the process of signing into and out of a shelter (the most technically laborious part) and the other half day either doing F and P's or a BCUT class, etc. Ask the ARC or Salvation Army or local EMA if we can borrow a cot or two and show people how to put them together. Doesn't need to be a big exercise, but familiarization skills can be easily accomplished (and save people a lot of crushed fingers with those cots...)
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

jimmydeanno

Quote from: heliodoc on February 24, 2009, 03:18:55 PM

I was just outlining what the ARC has each of those positions do and it each of the ARC corresponding courses cover those items.  Each is a day long.

So I guess if I were to create a CAP SQTR for Shelter Operations it would be

PREREQs
General Emergency Services
IS-100
IS-700

ADVANCED TRAINING
ARC Shelter Operations Course
ARC Shelter Management Course
ARC Psychological First Aid Course

Done

heliodoc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is perfect

Succinct and to the point

How about it, you lurkers from NHQ??