Older Service Caps, Wearability?

Started by Pylon, April 04, 2006, 04:14:33 AM

Pylon

So I have a few older, but official issue, USAF service hats.  The ones that had the real leather visor and were actually made with quality workmanship.

The shade of the hat's material is the old serge blue, which once upon a time, matched the service coats of the same material.  Granted, it does not match today's service dress jackets by any stretch of the imagination.

CAPM 39-1 says shades will match between the jacket and the trousers or skirt.  It does not say that flight cap/service cap shades must match.

CAPM 39-1 does state, however, that service caps "will not be crushed." (which is that droopy, saddle-shaped appearance that these older hats have).  So if the cap was worn with a firmer circle shape, uncrushed, (and with the appropriate CAP SM device) it would be kosher, right?   ;D

Picture attached!

[attachment deleted by admin- older than one year]
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

shorning

The material should match either the old or new style service coat.  If you want to be fussy, you should check to see which shades are currently authorized.  Judging by you pic, I'd say you should shelve it.  After all, you want to set the proper image as a CAP officer.

mikeylikey

I have to agree with shorning.  This shade should not be worn.  However, it looks nice stowed on a shelf, say in an office.  When the uniform manual retires a particular shade service dress, all the accessories that went with that uniform that carry the same color, should also go away with it.  Sell it to some cadets, that always works.
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

I asked the question specifically regarding the old-style buttons, as I have a service cap which was probably manufactured just before the service coat changed.

NHQ indicated that service caps with old-style buttons were ok for where.

The cap you are showing is the old, WWII-style "crush-cap", which is not allowed.
I think there is a note in 39-1 about this.

I >have< been looking for an inexpensive copy of the crush-syle for wear with
my whites, but of course I could not wear USAF or CAP insignia on it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fearlessleader01

Crushed covers look good and all, but they're out of regs. If it doesn't match the rest of the uniform then I wouldn't wear it. It doesn't set a good example.

I'd put it on a shelf.
C/Maj Joseph Trujillo
NER-CT-058 X0
CTWG CAC Chair
GTM-1, EMT-B

MIKE

The shade and buttons should match IMO... If you are a senior you should have the proper shade and buttons for the new style Service Dress.  If you are a cadet the service cap should match which ever style Service Dress you choose to wear.

Starting to think we should begin phasing out the old style service uniforms for cadets also.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on April 04, 2006, 05:52:28 PM
Starting to think we should begin phasing out the old style service uniforms for cadets also.

Well, it would be nice, but the supply of old coats is still strong (at least around these here parts).  And generally, if you buy one surplus, they're cheap as heck because they have no use in the USAF.  It's affordable, and when it comes to the cadet program, that's a big concern.

That having been said, we're lucky around my area to have access to tons of surplus Air Guard stuff and so I have a bunch of service coats.  As a unit OI, I specify the new-style if they're going to wear the full Service Dress Uniform, and issue them to everyone I can.

I can see phasing them out in another 5 years, maybe.  Thoughts?

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on April 04, 2006, 05:56:36 PM

Well, it would be nice, but the supply of old coats is still strong (at least around these here parts).  And generally, if you buy one surplus, they're cheap as heck because they have no use in the USAF.  It's affordable, and when it comes to the cadet program, that's a big concern.

Do you have lots of old style trousers also?  CAPM 39-1 says they must match, yet I see a lot of cadets wearing the 1625s they got from FCU or bought from Vanguard etc with the old style coats.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on April 04, 2006, 06:05:37 PM
Quote from: Pylon on April 04, 2006, 05:56:36 PM

Do you have lots of old style trousers also?  CAPM 39-1 says they must match, yet I see a lot of cadets wearing the 1625s they got from FCU or bought from Vanguard etc with the old style coats.

Our pants supply is mixed, though I'd say that a good majority are the newer shade.  This is yet another reason I just assume go with the new-style coats for all my cadets -- they can wear them with the pants they already have.