Air ops survival can a ground pounder do it?

Started by maverik, January 22, 2009, 11:01:20 PM

SJFedor

Quote from: SARADDICT on January 24, 2009, 04:49:49 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on January 23, 2009, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: SARADDICT on January 22, 2009, 11:30:05 PM
I am the CUL there is no other mention of a MRO umm we have a ground team base in a different city and the airops base in another I assume we'll be using a highbird to communicate between the two.

Keep in mind that you are the voice of command, not command itself. I've seen some MRO's/CUL's start to take liberties and give aircrews orders which aren't in my overall plan as the Air Branch director.

I don't think I would have the guts to try a stunt like that haha.

You'd be surprised. It's usually an attribute that some more experienced people tend to fall into, and sometimes it's not even something huge. You might have an aircraft calling in saying they're approaching their fuel reserve, and need to come home to put more fuel in the aircraft. I've seen it where the MRO/CUL thinks "Oh this is a no-brainer, I'll tell them to RTBthen tell the AOBD" when me, as the AOBD, planned to actually have them put their wheels down somewhere out in their search area, so they're back up in the search area quicker.

Just remember your role, and you'll do just fine!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Short Field

I am talking more about the PSC telling the OSC about the need to change the tasking for an airborne aircraft who then verbally passes the tasking change to the the AOBD who then totally garbles the directions to the MRO.  The game of "Telephone" is alive and well at mission base.  If the staff has to write down, then the MRO has a much better chance of passing it correctly.  It doens't have to be a formal memorandum, but at least have them write it out on a post-it.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SJFedor

Quote from: Short Field on January 25, 2009, 03:08:46 AM
I am talking more about the PSC telling the OSC about the need to change the tasking for an airborne aircraft who then verbally passes the tasking change to the the AOBD who then totally garbles the directions to the MRO.  The game of "Telephone" is alive and well at mission base.  If the staff has to write down, then the MRO has a much better chance of passing it correctly.  It doens't have to be a formal memorandum, but at least have them write it out on a post-it.

That also is an issue, but I've seen more times where an MRO/CUL, especially one who is also aircrew/AOBD rated starts to forget their role....

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Quote from: SARADDICT on January 24, 2009, 11:21:43 PM
Isn't that what you're always supposed to do?(Well it's what i do) . I say something like ground team whatever this is mission base you have a new tasking, then they'll acknowledge, and i'll say prepare to copy, they say go, and I'll reply your new tasking is to go to mcdonalds and bring back food over.(long long long story)

Exactly - whatever the SOP, everything should be in writing. 

My wing normally uses three-part forms, which are initialed and signed by the initiator and the recipient of the message.
Last GTE we had a fairly new PSC who kept walking up to me an just telling me what he wanted, sometimes in a distracted fashion and with way too much detail to remember.

I finally took him aside and said "we need to be getting these directives and information in writing".

Its not only a CYA thing, but also an attention to detail thing, and if you've got acknowledgments in writing on all messages, no one can say "You never told me that."

"That Others May Zoom"