Tri-Wing Encampment Selection day

Started by Kerrbie, March 26, 2006, 05:07:32 AM

Kerrbie

Okay lets start off with the first question,
WHO WENT!?

Well lets start off on an introduction since i am new to this site.
I found this site looking for pics from my 2005 basic encampment.
I am C/Amn Kerr soon to be C/1Amn Kerr. I am from a newly formed Squadron. The Germentown Composite Squadron down or up (depending) in Maryland.!
Now My Cadet Commander used to be C/Capt Patrick Claggett! *Gasp* Depending on who and where you are i am sure you have met this man before. but thats not the point.
Now onto the selection day. It went from 9am to 3 pm.
There were 5 sections:
A written Test containg 15 questions
A uniform expection
An Inerview
A Speech
and Your hand to drill cadets.

I failed the written but only because most of the questions were from the encampment staff handbook which i had no idea egsicted(sp!). The uniform expection was like maybe a high c to a low b. Then was the inerview! that was assome. it was easy. But then we had to make 2 -5 min speaches about anything. That was the best part. The would give you a topic that would suite the postion you wanted. And most of them were really random. There were some like: A snail is to slow, how would you modifiy it to move faster? and somelike How would you take over the word? and one that i herad was which i wanted was Why would your Autobiografiy be required reading in schools? Also There are 10 hotdog buns in a pack and 8 hotdogs in a pack, what would you do with the other 2? And Another good one. You are the CEO of a company and you are trying to convince your exeutive staff borde that we should use Marshmellows instead of packing penuts. Also there are 3 missions of Civil Air Patrol, Emergency serviuse(sp), Cadet programs, and Aerospace education. If we had a forth mission it would be muical therater why? The girl who got that one was grate with it. She was appilying for Chife. (BIG! JOB!) but i know im rambling with this but it was just grate. My question was What would you do wth a million dollars? First thing that popped into my mind was Mike Tyler and how his family needed money. So it was that help pay the bills and then go out with the rest and buy games, clothes, and books. but after that was drilling cadets. I havent done that in forever and forgot the cammand forward march. I kept saying ready march which is very wrong but i just couldnt remeber it at the time. (our squadron in very unorginzed with stuff like that.) There were a lot of cadets from last years i was serprised. But anyway i told you my day, now you have to tell me yours! ^^
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

Horn229

I spent the day inspecting all of the hideous uniforms.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Becks

Quote from: Horn229 on March 28, 2006, 02:49:14 AM
Hideous? hmm I dunno, I've seen some pretty nasty uniforms in the past.

BBATW

Matt

Quote from: Becks on March 28, 2006, 04:01:39 PM

*Cough* 2005 Enc.  Adam dropping cookies out of a cadet's blouse during barracks inspection...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Horn229

Quote from: Becks on March 28, 2006, 04:01:39 PM

So have I, and I'm saying they were hideous. Out of about 50 applicants, only 3 received a 9 out of 10 on their uniforms, and the lowest we gave was a 2 out of 10, and that was to an officer. We have out at least 10 grades of 4/10 and several 3/10s. The average overall was about 5.5-6/10.

Kerrbie

O.O OMG! my uniform was bad but since I am so small its hard to buy uniforms for me. I'm 4'9'' My pants are big on me and i took my uniform in to the drycleaners and they put on my patches i told them 1/2 in it came back with an inch. Same with my BDUS. Ive never had time to go fix it. OK I got my Email today and Did not get accept. I was told i had the potential but i have a feeling they have to say that... <.< lol So whats exactly the NCO thing?

Horn229

If it's anything like what's been done in the past, it's going to be focused on how to be a good NCO, the duties and responsibilties of a flight sergeant, first sergeant and probably a flight commander as well. Most likely a good portion will be classroom, and a lot of teamwork exercises, drill and learning how to teach others drill.

I actually think a leadership school of some sort should be required to be on staff, they always teach some useful that will people you out while being on staff, or at the  very least it will give you more time to mature in the cadet program.

Kerrbie

Quote from: Horn229 on March 30, 2006, 12:26:34 PM
If it's anything like what's been done in the past, it's going to be focused on how to be a good NCO, the duties and responsibilities of a flight sergeant, first sergeant and probably a flight commander as well. Most likely a good portion will be classroom, and a lot of teamwork exercises, drill and learning how to teach others drill.

I actually think a leadership school of some sort should be required to be on staff, they always teach some useful that will people you out while being on staff, or at the  very least it will give you more tI'me to mature in the cadet program.
now that i think about it your right. Maybe im looking at this all the wrong way! I shouldn't look at it as being rejected, but as a learning Opportunity! I can always try again next summer.

whatevah

it's cool that you have a positive view of it  :)

Just a note... you might want to work a little on your spelling ;)    Maybe try using the "Spell Check" button before you post.

It's hard to get a staff position the first time you apply, there are so many people applying, and they have to be sure they pick the best people for the positions.  If you attend the leadership school this summer, it'll be a big advantage for you next year, and you'll be promoted higher by the next encampment.  Plus, the leadership school will help you as you advance through CAP.  I still remember stuff I learned at the 1999 Leadership Academy.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Kerrbie

My spelling is very bad I know. and acculatly i do press thew spell check before i post if theres still stuff spelled wrong then its not me. thats the one thing i failed in elementery school lol

mikeylikey

Quote from: k4t13k4t on April 01, 2006, 04:18:17 PM
My spelling is very bad I know. and acculatly i do press thew spell check before i post if theres still stuff spelled wrong then its not me. thats the one thing i failed in elementery school lol

REALLY??

How about......
My spelling is very bad I know. And actually I do press the spell check before I post if there is still stuff spelled wrong then it's not me. That's the one thing I failed in elementary school lol.

We won't discuss grammar!

I don't want to gang up on you, but I pressed the Spell Check button and it seems my Spell Check button must be different than your Spell Check button. 
What's up monkeys?

Kerrbie

<.< that one post i was in a hurry we were heading out the door. and i also know my grammer is just as bad. Ive heard this a million times from almost everyone. This is the one thing i hate about forums. Everyone expects your spelling and grammer to be top notch. To me it shouldn't matter.

Al Sayre

When you get out in the real world, spelling and grammar do matter.  I hate to write, but as a professional, I kill an awful lot of trees writing reports and position papers.  It's a necessary evil and a useful skill.  Remember, the key word is professionalism!
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Westernslope

Quote from: k4t13k4t on April 05, 2006, 02:30:10 AM
<.< that one post i was in a hurry we were heading out the door. and i also know my grammer is just as bad. Ive heard this a million times from almost everyone. This is the one thing i hate about forums. Everyone expects your spelling and grammer to be top notch. To me it shouldn't matter.

Off topic but forgive me for a PAO plug

Spelling and Grammer are important and I am sure when you are not posting forums you are a  more careful.

I noticed that you are the Cadet PAO for your squadron.  Along with your Squadron PAO(if you have one) you should be producing a monthly newsletter. It is the Squadron PAOs responsibility, according to the regs to produce a newsletter.  Have you seen the new PAO Toolkit from National? It has some really great information.  Your Squadron Commander or PAO should have a copy of it that you could look at. 

Pylon

Quote from: Cadetofthe60s on April 05, 2006, 01:24:05 PM

I noticed that you are the Cadet PAO for your squadron.  Along with your Squadron PAO(if you have one) you should be producing a monthly newsletter. It is the Squadron PAOs responsibility, according to the regs to produce a newsletter.  Have you seen the new PAO Toolkit from National? It has some really great information.  Your Squadron Commander or PAO should have a copy of it that you could look at. 

I do believe much, if not all, of that new PAO toolkit is now online somewhere.  I randomly stumbled upon it while surfing aimlessly, so I don't remember exactly where it is in the menagerie of NHQ sites, but it is out there somewhere.  Definitely good information.

I personally recommend those who intend to do the Public Relations gig in CAP for any significant length of time (a year or longer) should join the PRSA, the Public Relations Society of America.  They hold excellent seminars and conferences in major cities around the U.S., provide their members with a veritable wealth of online resources, information, tips, hints, discussion forums, and knowledge that is excellent for someone in this position.   Unfortunately a PRSA membership can be expensive, especially when you're already shelling out for CAP constantly.

I almost wonder if National HQ couldn't work out some discount relationship with the PRSA for CAP PAOs.  It'd be really nice if they could.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Kerrbie

Quote from: Cadetofthe60s on April 05, 2006, 01:24:05 PM

Off topic but forgive me for a PAO plug

Spelling and Grammer are important and I am sure when you are not posting forums you are a  more careful.

i am the PAO and i know i need a tool kit my commander is getting one for me. and i do produced monthly papers. I type them up with my staff and print them out.

Kerrbie

that would be nice. I spent about 1.5k on CAP already. it sounds really interesting

whatevah

how in the world did you spend $1500 on CAP?  :o I've only done that if you count flight tickets to NESA.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Quote from: whatevah on April 06, 2006, 03:03:24 AM
how in the world did you spend $1500 on CAP?  :o I've only done that if you count flight tickets to NESA.

I've easily done that, but I'm looking at 9+ years of CAP, including activities like IACE, several uniform changes (three 39-1 versions and countless modifications), promotions, and all sorts of NCSAs, encampments, and squadron leadership positions which all necessitate opening the wallet. 

How in the world did you spend that much already as a cadet?   I suppose it's feasible if you bought two sets of every cadet uniform combo, new, from AAFES, along with a full set of new equipment for a 72-hour pack, and attended a few encampments.  :o
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

whatevah

ok, not counting flight tickets (and gas)...  I've been to 8 encampments, 3 weeks of NCSAs, got ES gear and such... I still don't think I've spent $1500.  maybe $1000, but... and that's almost 9 years of being active in CAP.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Al Sayre

It's easy, buy a full set of uniforms for you, your wife, your kid(s) and then start in on personal ES gear... :(
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

whatevah

sure, a senior could do that, but a cadet in one year? (assuming one year since he's been to an encampment and still a C/Amn)

maybe I'm just extra thrifty...  *looks in wallet... maybe not?*
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Al Sayre

You're right, even if the cadet is a fast  burner and bought his uniforms new, he'd still only end up around $600. (#%@% Lucky Cadets! >:D)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

elkorona

The Drill portion was just heinous.  Really, its not to hard to drill.   I just couldn't figure that out.

I did it on my own when I was a CAP cadet and now about 10-15hrs a week with Honor Guard at AFROTC.  Bleh.  It was atrocious...
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

Horn229

Quote from: Gorfour20 on April 06, 2006, 03:13:30 PM
The Drill portion was just heinous.

Ya, I noticed that from where the inspections were, of course it was pretty obvious that something was wrong, when the flight was 70' from the pavement. :D ::)

Kerrbie

sorry i exaggerated a bit. A hurry post again. We were on our way out to Annapolis. But i have spent a lot. 3 uniforms. A Parade/practice rifle. A set of dress blues. Plus a servius jacket and a Field jacket. Membership fee. Encampment fee. Then i spent about 500 on supplies for that. Along with new camping stuff for my 24/ 74 hr pack. Along with trips and stuff.

and I'm a girl... <.< >.>
(i just saw the he )

laurlaurforever

Aww...Kerr! You're so awesome i'm glad you're thinking good thought about the NCO academy! Lol...i personally know about 3/4 of the people going and i am also one of them so im happy!!   :) I'm looking forward to learning alot..i'll cya there!! Byess